3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wes Wallace question.....  (Read 214 times)

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
Wes Wallace question.....
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Already used the search function, and found lots of good reading, but I am looking for info specific to a WW Mentor T/D.

I am seriously considering placing an order for a Wes Wallace Mentor T/D 50# @ 29".

I draw a full 29", but would prefer to stick with a 60" bow.

My question is for the guys with first hand knowledge with the WW bows.......

Will ordering this bow in 60" be a mistake? I have other recurves 60" and shorter at that draw weight, but I have been told by a couple of people on another site to go at least 64" with a Wallace bow at that length and weight.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.  :)
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wes Wallace question.....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Forgot to add that I shoot 3 under, so finger pinch is not a concern.
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Mitch,

I draw a true 29 3/4". I have never had a bow that is 60" that didn't cause me some finger pinch if I shot it a lot. It causes me to develop a callous on my ring finger of my string hand. I have owned a Wes Wallace "Mentor" that was 62" long and didn't experience any problem. That being said........we all have our own "unique" release of the string. If you haven't had any problem with it on other bows, you might not have any problem at all.

Bottom line.........I would speak with Wes about his opinion on it. He won't steer you wrong and is a pleasure to talk to.

The "Mentor" is an excellent choice........either way. Personally, I prefer my bows at least 62" and preferably 64" and up. If you haven't shot a longer length bow.......give it a try before you place your order. If not possible, just place your order and then if you need to change the length you will probably have at least 6 to 8 months to make that change before your name will come up.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I have 3 Mentor's. 1 is the new B-model that Wes hasn't told many about. I have 49#@28 66", 55#@28" 62", 60#@28" 64", 60#@28" 60" limbs. With the 60" limbs on my B-model riser the bow is a 56" incher. It is awesome and is 61#'s on that riser. Perceptibly faster than anything I have. The working length is the same as the 19" riser and shoots very close to the others in how it feels. But it does start to stack after about 28" which I draw just short of. This is perfect for me. The 19" riser, the normal Wallace Mentor, from my experience and from those who I know shot my bow with longer draw lengths have never complained about stacking. I would say in absolute confidence at 29" you should not feel stacking. How much further I could'nt say? Seriously, if you were at all concerned, look at both of your hands and look at your thumb and pointer finger. Measure an estimate of 1" on both hands and look how much more room you will need to hunt with. Not a lot. My friend has at least a 29" draw and shoots a WW 62" and never complains of stacking. He shot my 60" limbs on both the 15" and 19" riser. He only felt it on the 15". You will not be sorry with WW bows. I sold everything I have just to shoot his specifically. He is a world class bowyer as well as a world class guy. Buy from him with complete confidence. Let him know your concern, he will help you and he WILL stand by you if you have a problem. You could always sell a set of limbs like the ones you want very easily. Maybe more than 2cents worth, just my thoughts.

Kenn
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I really appreciate the feedback guys.  :)  I have shot bows in the 64"-66" range before, but never owned one. They seem HUGE to me, but I imagine I would get used to the length in short order.

BTW, I asked this question on one other site and regardless of personal opinions offered, everybody that replied has said to call Wes and talk to him. Must be something to that.   :D

I just want to be sure and get a bow I will like to shoot, because once I get a Mentor with antler tips an inserts in my favorite wood, it is never leaving the house even if it has to hang in the man cave and look pretty.   ;)
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I have a 28 1/2" draw and went with a 64" Mentor (1pc). A 62" would probably been ok, but I do like the little extra length compared to the 60" recurve I was shooting before.

It doesn't hurt to ask Wes also.

The Mentor is a great bow  :thumbsup:

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
The Mentor is a great bow! The 62" should be fine for a 29" draw, but I think you'd really appreciate the 64".

That being said, ask Wes.    :D

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline CR Hurst

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Look Up Conner Perry He is an active trad ganger, he had a WW killed many animals with it and will give you all the info your looking for
The day I can no longer pull back my Bow, I will continue to hunt in my Dreams!

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Weasel:
The Mentor is a great bow! The 62" should be fine for a 29" draw, but I think you'd really appreciate the 64".

That being said, ask Wes     :D  

Jerry
I think I will ask Wes......   :D
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Mitch,

don't know if you had a chance to talk to Wes, yet but I had this same conversation with him a few weeks back. I also draw 29 and his recommendation was to go with 64".  He's a pleasure to talk to though, so probably still worth giving him a call to address any other questions you may have.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Mitch, I live in Huntingdon, PA.  I have a 66" Mentor and I pull it 30".  If you live close and would like to shoot it, send a pm.  I think you would be fine with a 64" with a 29" draw, but nothing like shooting one to be sure.  I also have a 64" Blacktail which you would be welcome to shoot also.  It would be very similar to the Mentor.  You could get the feel of both lengths that way.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
I have a 62" Mentor that I pull to 29 1/2. It even says that on the bow. It shoots great and I don't notice any stacking. Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©