3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2" Gateway Razor Feathers?  (Read 186 times)

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
2" Gateway Razor Feathers?
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm about to fletch up my first set of arrows using feathers, I sold my regular jig and bought a Bohning Blazer Fletching jig that only fletches 2" vanes and that limits me to a 2" vane. Has anyone used the 2" feathers and how do they perform? Ill prob. end up getting another jig eventually that will let me fletch the 4-5" vanes but for right now Im kinda stuck....Thanks.
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2" Gateway Razor Feathers?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
you need more feather if your going to be stuck i hope you can 4 fletch with that jig..you really need 4-5" feathers

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
It will work if your arrow is tuned to your bow.  If you get good flight with a bare shaft, the 2" will work fine if you have a clean release and shoot only field tips.  Broadheads will need larger fletches.  When you switch to larger fletches, you are going to lose some fps.  Bill

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
A few years back I had an injury to my left arm. I bought some 35# limbs for my recurve so I could still shoot.  I had some really light carbon arrows that bare shafted very well.  I used those 2" Razors in a four fletch configuration and with 85gr field tips and they worked great.  Never tried the set up with broadheads because I didn't intend to hunt with them.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Gaylord, Welcome aboard. You really need more feathers too stabilize your broadheads. I would sell or trade the blazer jig for one that will do the fletch you need. Good Luck
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Rolling the dice if you plan on shooting Bheads in real hunting situations.  Its not worth it......and the gain of having that little feather is so minuscule compared to the gain of having them twice that long.

This is not some new discovery......there is a reason we shoot the normal sizes.......it was proven long ago little freathers aren't for bheads and bowhunters.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
If your bow is tuned and you can 4 fletch your arrows you will be fine even with broadheads. I have a friend that has been using them for years with great success and I have tried them on some arrows and really like them.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
personally, and with all due respect, even if the 2" feather was 2" tall it'd be worthless for bowhunting as it's usage is akin to gambling.  

no matter how well tuned yer arrows are to a bow, going hunting afield challenges all your mental and physical abilities, your bow, and your arrows, but mostly YOU.  

you want your broadheaded arrows to straighten out and fly true no matter what the venue, how bad the conditions and how radical the shot setup.  you owe that to both your quarry and you.

do yerself a huge favor and fletch up with a minimum of three 5" helical feathers and save those mini fletches for flight or target shooting.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©