3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: takedown options for longbow  (Read 252 times)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
takedown options for longbow
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
just aquired a 21 st century longbow and love the way it shoots and was wondering if a takedown system could be installed and some weight taken off any suggestions it does have some riser mass already! thanks in advance!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: takedown options for longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
afaik, there are only two viable methods of turning any existing stickbow into a two piece that i know of - bow bolt or connexion hinge.  can't use a sleeve as that requires longer riser wood that doesn't exist in a completed bow.  

installing a bow bolt is not an easy task, even during the building process let alone to a completed bow.

the connexion hinge is "easier" to install, as long as there's at least a flat 5/8" width on the center of the bow's back, and that area is not refexed in any way (but it can be slightly deflexed).
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
To add to what Rob said, there should be some consideration to what wood the riser is made of and a number of bowyers installing the bow bolt are going to lien micarta for strength.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Contact the bowyer who built the bow and get his opinion. My opinion, trade it for a TD version, or sell it and buy a TD in the weight you need. Far to many problems and questions to bother with conversion. Been there, done that.    :deadhorse:

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
thanks guys the bow is a Jim and Buddy 21 st century bow with rosewood riser!

really like the bow and would like to make it work but might not be feasable thanks for the rplies!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
thought if i could get some weight off and make it a takedown it would be worth it, any recomendations[bowyers] on just weight reduction and refinish? thanks
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Might talk to Prairie Traditions,LLC

In the Sponser Classifieds Ralph.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
contact jack harrison.  he does that.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
thanks guys i will!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mack Marine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Hey Ralph! I'm betting by the middle of next week you will find one in a trade!!

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
personally, those J&B longbows were top shelf and i'd think twice about doing any kinda mods to 'em.  just sayin' ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
I just did a bow bolt conversion and it turned out absolutely great. Contact Warren Archery and get his take on it. Let him know what the riser is made of. Some woods to not lend themselves to the use of the bow bolt. As far as the installation, read and re-read the instructions. Take your time and it will turn out great. Craig at Warren Archery was a great help to me and did not mind any questions that I had. I even stated that I had seen several post concerning the bow bolt failing and Craig stated that the incidents that he was aware of were do to not following the instructions. MT-13 is the recommended glue to use.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
I would have to believe that there would be many trad archers that would be excited and pleased to have the bow just the way it is.

Please think twice before attempting this modification. No bow is perfect for everyone and the hi risk here could make it perfect for no one.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Ralph, I don't know if Craig will still do it but I talked to him a while back about a bow-bolt on one of my longbows. You will need to send him pictures and dimensions of your riser to see if it is possible. You might give him a call
 http://www.warrenarchery.com/
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Ralph, I would have to agree with Rob on this one.
I could understand having weight reduced by a bowyer if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. I would really think twice about making that bow a take down. I have said for years that they were ahead of their time and built some of the best bows out there.
Mike at Maddog Archery might possibly do that.

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
Ralph,

I would go with the flow on this one.  My first retrofit ever was on a Jim & Buddy New Moon. I was looking for a bow to test my system for retrofitting a Bow Bolt and agreed to do it for free if anyone was willing to sacrafice his bow.  I told Wayne, also know as "Dances with Squirrels" here on TG, that it might just turn out to be nothing more than a sacrafice but he really wanted it done.  After I saw the size of the riser, I called him and told him that I didn't think it was a great idea.  The best place I could find to put the Bow Bolt was not much more than an inch across and one and a quarter deep.  He said "let's try it anyway."

He really liked it and said the extra mass in the handle made it even more of a dream to shoot.

It lasted several years, but it finally gave up in what was probably a spectacular fashion.

I've done a bunch of "retrofits" and have had really good luck with them, but I've also advised against quite a few and that would be my advice to you.  Unless the dimensions of your riser are quite a bit different than the one I did,(not to mention the type of material) having a good shooting 1 piece bow for a long time would seem to be a better choice than having a two piece bow turn into a three or more piece bow in what would probably be a fairly short time.  Keep the bow you have, and when the time is right, have one made from scratch from one of the guys that have done a bunch of them successfully.  

I do have to make one correction though.  Rob was dead wrong when he said "installing a Bow Bolt is not an easy task."  They are probably the easiest there is.......after you've done about a dozen. LOL

Good luck with whatever your choice is.

Craig
 www.warrenarchery.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©