3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood arrows help?  (Read 199 times)

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
wood arrows help?
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
HELP PLEASE ..I got 5 hundred poc arrows and need to use them I have been makeing my own carbon arrows for years..and they shoot very well ..my best friend died 7 years ago,and I ended up with his wood arrow shafts..and they are splined right for my bows...they are weight and splined ..but there is sometimes a 30 gr diffrence..in arrow weight..need to know if I add weight with a footing jig,what percent of weight do I need to put in back and front of arrow too keep spline the same..going to add weight to light arrows to bring up to heavy arrows..will the footing jig work for this?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood arrows help?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Seperate them by weight and then make them up in batches of 12 with weight matched by each dozen.

When I have a 100 count I spine them into 5# groups and the weigh those into sub-groups.  Note that they may say 60-65# on the box outside in a 100 count shipment but you may find individual shafts of 50 to 80#.  At least I did.

Been a LONG time since I had a hundred at a time, though.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Dave you can soak in Danish Oil to pick up weight.  Seals teh shaft at teh same time too.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Thank you Pac good idea ...I want to keep my weight close as possible ,,so my minds eye gets used to arrow flight. PAC will Danish mess up spline...I use wipe on poly...I guess I can try danish on my light arrows and leave poly on heavy arrows..

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I prefer Stumkiller's suggestion and do it exactly like he sorts them. Trying to equalize weight and spine 100 shafts would be like picking flys**t from pepper with boxing gloves on.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I do what stumpkilles does and keep them sorted that way until you need them.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Sorting by weight is good, but 30 grains difference in weight is not that terrible, I doubt most people would notice a difference out to 25-30 yards and even than it would be tough. 50 grains maybe, anything over most likely but again after 20-25 yards for 50-80 grain weight diffrence. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I agree with Shawn. Arky, please, the word is spine, not spline.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Another trick is to put more coats of poly on the lighter shafts to get them closer in weight. I dip mine and can get about 14 more grains to get them closer. Repeat if necessary.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Don Stokes sorry about misspelling spine red neck thing I guess...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©