3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Elk Gear List?  (Read 341 times)

Offline franklinmanklin

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY Elk Gear List?
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
35 Pounds of gear including food for a backcountry elk bow hunt should consist of...
Brandon J. Pattison
Semper Fidelis
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.  S. Freud

Offline franklinmanklin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Elk Gear List?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
This was supposed to be in the general forum.
Brandon J. Pattison
Semper Fidelis
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.  S. Freud

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Read Cameron Hanes' "Backcountry Bowhunting".  Most informative gear book for the DIY bowhunter that I've found.  Don't have to buy the same brands, etc. that he recommends but the book and checklists are great resources.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by JJB2:
Read Cameron Hanes' "Backcountry Bowhunting".  Most informative gear book for the DIY bowhunter that I've found.  Don't have to buy the same brands, etc. that he recommends but the book and checklists are great resources.
Thanks for the read information. Mike Mitten also has a gear list in his book, but he can carry more then the average man.    :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Backpack

Hunting Gear - Bow, Arrows, Quiver, 10x42 binoculars

Fanny pack - Accusharp, small crock stick, Cow call, diaphragm calls, small bugle tube, Buck Crosslock knife, spare bowstring, shooting glove, armguard, lighters, whistle, compass, maps, gps, 20 feet of parachute cord, small first aid, space blanket, Digital camera

Camping/Cooking - 9x11 silnylon tarp, guy lines, 6 stakes, 20 degree bag, Ridgerest Sleeping Pad, ground cover, pocket rocket stove, 1 Fuel Bottle, Titanium Cup 16 oz., Nylon Spork, Journal and pen, headlamp, UL spare headlamp, 2 AA batteries, 3 AAA batteries, hiking pole with duct tape wrapped,Hydration Bladder, water treatment tabs, toilet paper, baby wipes, multitool

Food - 7 lipton rice or pasta meals, 14 Granola bars, 4 cups GORP, 1 jar PB, 14 oatmeal packs, 7 salmon packs, 1 pound jerky

Clothes - 3 pair underwear, base layer- pants and shirt, mid layer - pants and shirt, outer layer - shirt, 1 cotton long sleeve T, 2 chamois shirt, 2 chamois pant, jacket, fleece vest, wool parka, 4 pair socks, 2 pair rag wool gloves, 2 stocking caps, boots, Poncho

First aid - ibuprofen, acetaminophen, decongestant, antihistamine, hydrocortisone cream, hand lotion, lib balm, duct tape, inhaler, inhaler spare, tooth brush and paste, floss

Man that seems like a lot of crap. I'm including the things I wear and carry in this list. If I remember right, pack weight was mid 30's and total weight was 45#'s. this is for 7 days. I'm looking forward to weighing it all again since it's been 3 years since I last did this.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Thats a good list.

I like to include a 48" long sewing tape- like your Mom used.

Why? Its cool to measure things on your elk, like how deep his chest is (assuming a bull).

There is a pretty big difference in body size from some bulls to others, even if their racks are in the same category.

Anyway, it weighs nothing and its fun to have that kind of info rattle around in your head the next year you go.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
Good list... I like to carry flagging tape, zip ties and a small folding pack saw .
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
35 lbs seems pretty light. Last year I was 55lbs with 5 days of food. We didn't hunt with camp on our backs though. Is that what you plan to do? How many days can you stay out for at that weight?

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Sheeeew ! My back hurts just reading this topic ! I'm not too big a feller though at 5'8 150# ! I've done a 3 day bivy for whitetails before with a 35# pack, I couldn't imagine 7 days worth of gear !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
I use a Jet Boil stove and Mountain House makes some light weight meals, a little spendy and you can come up with some "home-mades" that will work. I also carry a water purifier pump. When hunting with a buddy we carry an extra fuel cannister and that gets us by for a week. I also carry Super Glue and a small wrap of duct tape. John's list is very complete. Taylor your equipment to your needs. If going remote and alone, a cell phone is a good idea, if with a buddy 2-way radios are also helpful. Best of luck to you.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Meant to say satellite cell phone if going remote and alone, although in a lot of places a cell phone can get coverage from a ridge.

Offline Hess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Consider synthetic clothing vs. wool on the longer trips...lighter, dries quicker.  There are a lot of things listed above that seem to be more along the lines of a 'resort' type camping trip, not a bivvy trip.  I always lose a bit of weight and come out feeling great.  Enjoy the back country.  

PS  Don't take any cotton clothing, it could get you in a lot of trouble.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
It can be done if you train.  85 lb bag, 7 days in a CO wilderness area last fall - 4 mi hike in and out with the full bag in some steep country.  Little lighter on the way out but not much when you're still carrying out all the garbage.  I'm 5' 10" 175 lb.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Please read here for my take on cotton clothing:   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=101429;p=1

My 7 day pack is less than 45# with water.  Here's my resort in 2008.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
I'd start off with.......

1 Horse-1200lb +/-
2nd horse-1200lb +/-

:readit:    :biglaugh:

Offline franklinmanklin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the help, Gents.
Brandon J. Pattison
Semper Fidelis

Offline franklinmanklin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I was going to post a new topic but seems like the appropriate place.  Does wool suck for a trip like this?  Please explain either way and why.  Punchdown vs. loom-woven?  Thin vs. thick?  Wool vs. non-wet-synthetic-insulators?  Etc.
Brandon J. Pattison
Semper Fidelis

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Kifaru pack/ longhunter guide
alps foam pad under thermarest to protect
thermarest
kifaru 4man tipi
stove
helle knife

jet boil stove
fly rod, flys, etc./tenkara
2 lighters/fire starter wet match          /
flashlight/fenix pd30/extra batteries
head lamb/petzl/ extra 3 AAA batteries
batteries/ 6 extra lithium
GPS
map cut map down
kaitadyn water system
cooking pot jet boil/ pot support

camera

extra string/ shelf material/   kept at  truck
spectra rope and  bear/bag for food
game bags/ alaskan bags
plastic bags
water bag 4l
tyvek sheets

Mountain house foods
Day 1
day 2
day 3
day 4
day 5
day 6
day 7
day 8
day 9
clothes sitka gear
rain gear/ small pack
extra socks/ theos
ascent sitka pants x2

90% jacket
kelvin jacket
sitka core bottoms
beanie
face mask cold gear

Crocs
gloves

transverse shirt X2
small detergent
calls

small pad thermarest
fuel X2 cannister
western mountaineering badger down bag
throat lozengers
diamox
chapstick

hunter wipes 5x8 and large 10x15
toiletries
tooth brush& paste

decoy/ heads up decoy
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Last yr I carried 62# 5. something miles to base camp. I like my kifaru and my stove in case you get wet.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Sounds stupid, but no one has listed hunting license and tag(s)!

When I pack in the only wool I bring is a merino wool base layer, a stocking cap, and my Filson wool vest.  Everything else is synthetic.  As much as I love wool, it is heavy and takes a while to dry when wet, synthetics are lighter and dry really fast.  

Since it seems you are on a budget but still want lightweight, quality gear, you should look at buying used gear.  A lot of guys sell off excess and older, lightly used gear to upgrade to the latest and greatest.  Check out Sierra Trading Post as well, sometimes they have some really good stuff deeply discounted.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©