3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new - need help  (Read 265 times)

Offline murph64

• Trad Bowhunter
new - need help
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
I AM NEW TO BOW BUILDING, SO I STARTED WITH BOARD BOWS. BROKE THE FIRST ONE, SECOND ONE WAS A MAPLE BOW THAT TURNED OUT A LITTLE LIGHT {40# AT 26 INCHES, BUT STOOTS GOOD. NEXT BOW WAS A HICKORY BOW THAT SHOOTS NICE AT 52# AT 26 INCHES, BUT HAS A LITTLE BIT OF HAND SHOCK. I'M WORKING ON AN ASH BOW THAT IS TILLERING OUT REALLY NICELY BUT HAS A TWIST IS ONE LIMB. THE ONLY THING I CAN SEE IS A DARK GRAIN ON THE BACK OF THE BOW WHERE THE TWIST BEGINS. IS THIS A WEAK SPOT? SHOULD I BACK THIS BOW? IT IS AT 50# AT 20 INCHES RIGHT NOW. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new - need help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
First off turn off yer caps we can hear ya fine without the yellin'!  ;)  
 There could be a weaker portion there where you see the dark part in the limb. Could be just like the rest of the wood. Is the suspect portion of the limb bending or is it close enough to the tip it doesn't have to? If its bending and not showing more bend than the surrounding areas either side of it yer prolly ok.
 As far as backing goes I'd say if you got it to 50# at 20" then it probably will survive with out any. If it'll help ou sleep better rawhide will help a back that you're unsure of. Make sure you have the edges rounded over well on the back as well , keep any splinters from poppin up.
 Keep after 'em.
 Chris
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©