3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace Height for Damon Howatt Monterey?  (Read 237 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Brace Height for Damon Howatt Monterey?
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Got a 1967 Damon Howatt Monterey coming. It is 62", 42# @ 28". Anyone know the brace height for this bow? It's not coming with a string but, I think I have one on hand for it and want to see if I can set it up when she arrives. Thanks in advance.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height for Damon Howatt Monterey?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Great bows. I have a 1968 that's 49# @ 28. I keep mine around 7-5/8". You should be good anywhere between 7-1/2" - 8-1/4".
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks Dave. I'll post some pics of her when she arrives. Looks like a previous owner added dark red Micarta limb tips but overall the bow looks good. I am having some shoulder issues from a past military injury and needed a bow for rehab shooting.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
TW, heres a picture of mine. Howatt made the Monterey in longer lengths but at 62" ours are really built on the Hunter form with some maple stripes added in the riser. The Monterey also has a little better looking profile.

I re-finished this one and put micarta tips on it like the one you're getting. I put a 9 strand D-97 string mine. Of all the bows I've owned if I could only keep one it would be the Monterey. I really like the grips on the 60's Hunters and Monterey's over the later year models.

Have fun with it and let me know how you like it. Post pics when you get a chance.

Dave

The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
NICE LOOKING,CLASSIC....
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hatrick:
TW, heres a picture of mine. Howatt made the Monterey in longer lengths but at 62" ours are really built on the Hunter form with some maple stripes added in the riser. The Monterey also has a little better looking profile.

I re-finished this one and put micarta tips on it like the one you're getting. I put a 9 strand D-97 string mine. Of all the bows I've owned if I could only keep one it would be the Monterey. I really like the grips on the 60's Hunters and Monterey's over the later year models.

Just love the way that arrows fly off of a featherest. I now have 3 1960 Bear Kodiaks with original rests and a 1961 KS with the remains of one.  

I am kinda kicking myself for selling my 1989 Ventura too.

DDave

Have fun with it and let me know how you like it. Post pics when you get a chance.

Dave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Oops, I kinda posted my comments in the middle of yers, starting with "just love the way..."

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Hatrick, that is a beauty of a bow. I will definitely post pics when she arrives. I sent a PM to Whip about having the bow refinished but, might use it this year first. I'll just have to see how things go with my shoulder. I have a Dan Quillian Canebrake that I am really wanting to hunt with. My original plan was to hunt with my longbows but, that Canebrake shoots very well for me.

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
Mine I kept between7-1/2-7-3/4
michael schingeck

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
I had a 68" that I had to boost up to 9", but once I hit the magic number, wow what a shooter. It was only 35# but a killer 3D bow. And as always all heads were turning!
That setup you have coming is making me drool.
David M. Conroy

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I guess it would have helped if asked, does the brace get measured from the throat of grip or edge of shelf?

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
The one thought that I have on brace height for any bow is to start with a high brace height say 8 1/2 Then shoot a correctly spine arrow listen to the sound of the bow.  Continue lowering the brace height and shooting and the bow the bow will tell you when the brace height is too low as it will start to get noisy.  Most any bow  
will shoot with a high brace height but the get maximum performance out of the bow the string must remain on the arrow the longest time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©