3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions re: Waldrop Pacseat  (Read 718 times)

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions re: Waldrop Pacseat
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Howdy All-
I'm very close to ordering one of these Pacseats from the Asbells (esp if my WTB post in the classifieds doesn't get some action). I've liked the idea ever since I listened to joebuck give a talk at the PBS banquet in Nashville. I'm not a pro redneck tinkerer like him and am unlikely to build one for myself.

I had a couple questions for the folks that have a pacseat. I'm sold on the seat's comfort from all the posts I've searched and read. What I'm not convinced of is it's ability to haul anything more than a daypack or ghillie lashed onto it.

The pictured straps look a bit anemic and painful to lash much weight to the frame. My questions are - has anyone upgraded the hipbelt and shoulder straps? It looks as if ALICE straps could be substituted easily and increase comfort in case one were to lash dead deer parts and carry out. I thought that a loadshelf or loadsling ala Kifaru or similar could also be added to strap on awkward items and not make the setup too bulky.

Any other mods that folks have made or would recommend?

Thanks for y'alls experience and advice.

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions re: Waldrop Pacseat
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
David, I also would like t see what others have done to improve on a great seat.  I have used mine at least a dozen times this season and some of my thought are in agreement with what other have said. It is light weight as for carrying, easily adapt to your surrounding in that if a tree not available to lean against the swing out support works great. As for comfort i'm mixed on it as I find it still hard to sit without some discomfort in my thighs and butt after an hour or more, but i'm not well padded in that department.  I also find that the way the straps are attached with latch pins tend to make some noisy while carrying and sitting if your not careful on how you place them out of of the way.  I believe the seat frame is more than robust enough to use as a pack frame and use for packing as you described, but I would agree a better strapping system would be preferred.  If you load it up the current straps would tend to "bite" into you.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
up for the early risers
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
I didn't buy mine for a pack, I bought it for ground hunting turkey and deer.  It's perfect for this because of its light weight, comfort, and mobility.  There is no problem carrying the average day pack on it as it is.  

I haven't had a need to modify mine any, but the way it's constructed, it would be simple to fit just about any belt/shoulder system on it.  There's no problem drilling additional holes in the frame if need be for any attachments.  I'm sure it would have its carrying comfort limits, but I'm also sure it would be a capable substitute.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Molson:
I didn't buy mine for a pack, I bought it for ground hunting turkey and deer.  It's perfect for this because of its light weight, comfort, and mobility.  There is no problem carrying the average day pack on it as it is.  

I haven't had a need to modify mine any, but the way it's constructed, it would be simple to fit just about any belt/shoulder system on it.  There's no problem drilling additional holes in the frame if need be for any attachments.  I'm sure it would have its carrying comfort limits, but I'm also sure it would be a capable substitute.
What Molson said..........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Appreciate it fellas.

Did it take long to get? Website says 2-4 weeks.
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Placed the order, we'll see how it goes.
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
David I'd be much surprised if you weren't totally happy with your new Waldrop Pacseat.

I love mine but like the others I don't use mine so much a pack as I do for a light weight comfortable seat.

I do carry a day pack with quite a bit in it.

I can tell you if you fall into a brush pile on your back with your seat on it, you're gonna feel a lot like a turtle that's been flipped upside down...lol My experience is that it's a lot tougher to get up than one might imagine...lol

The best of luck with yours.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Money well spent!  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  It's a great piece of gear.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
I like the looks of the chair, but the angle to the backrest looks to be too far back. Is it just the pics which make it look that way?
N/A

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I have one as well.I have used it 5 or 6 times so far.I have also temporarily attached a small backpack to it.No problems and I am well satisfied with the seat.Gonna use it this spring for turkey hunting.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
I liked mine so much, I bought another. I don't think it took much more than a week to get mine. I will say, there is nothing uncomfortable about the original straps. What Molson said purdy much sum's it up for me. No disappointment's! Jason

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I love mine...not a problem to mount a pack. I carry mine with me all the time....use it at the hotel...it's that comfortable for me.

Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
I have the same question. The backrest appears to really lean back and that, in my opinion would not be comfortable and would appear to be hard to get out of for us old guys. What say you guys that have them?

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I have one of the first ones he made, and mine only works against a tree and is not made to stand free.   It does appear to lean back a lot but in reality, it depends on how close to the tree the seat is positioned, and it is easy to adjust that.   I use mine all the time and it is hard to beat.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
The chair is preset reclined but is adjustable to an upright position.  I normally like to sit upright and I was surprised to find this position to be much better.  The seat just follows you forward actually giving you support as you move your shooting position.  It's not hard at all to get out of.  Just lean forward and stand up.  It's kinda hard to explain but the minute you try it out you'll understand.  It is a well thought out design.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I was talking to Bob Morrison and he's thinking about putting a swivel seat attached to it.  Seen it and it's pretty slick. As for use as a pack frame don't see a problem because you could do alot of things with this seat.  But like Molson said, I bought mine for the same uses as him.  Best of luck to you.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
I' d love to see some picks of one modified with a swivel.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
What type of adjustment can be made to the seat to make it a more upright position? Is there a different bolt hole for the seat, or what exactly?
N/A

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
foxbo,

How you control how "upright" the seat sits depends directly on how close you put the most rearward legs towards the tree. The closer to the tree you place them the more upright the seat will sit.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©