3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to expect in the south ( Georgia)?  (Read 571 times)

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to expect in the south ( Georgia)?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
lpcjon,

I live in Canton, not very far from the towns you are looking at.

PM me when you get down this way. We can get together and do some shooting at my house and we can sit and talk a spell.

I grew up and learned to hunt in NJ and PA and can maybe give you some comparisons.

Welcome to GA!
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Tim....GA is a very diverse state as far as terrain and terrain features.

Don't let them southern boys fool ya     ;)    ....there's PLENTY of deer to hunt up here.  And Turkeys....and we have bears as well.  And a hog or two.

I love to hunt all areas of the state, and all have good hunting.......and enjoy the Mountains, marshes, an swamps....its all good.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
everyone has their likes....where will you be WORKING? Or your wife? That should determine where you purchase between those locations.

I live at the intersection of Arnold Mill Rd and Houze Rd between Woodstock and Crabapple, GA

The schools are decent- but most important, its easy to get on major roads and to get to Marietta, Alpharetta, Duluth, Canton, Woodstock, Roswell, and Sandy Springs right from here.

My office is at Galleria- 21 miles away and its only 30-40 minutes....there's folks who have 2 hours each way sometimes because they picked the wrong place to live/work.

If I lived three to five miles in another direction, things could be really dicey for me. It's that easy to get in the wrong place.

Call me and I will try to assist 678-300-2883

I'm with Terry...there's some pretty fine woodlot deer hunting for bruisers up here in the northern arc of metro ATL
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Congrats on getting out of Jersey, trying to get my inlaws out of Camden in the next few years.

And congrats on moving to GA, it will be a huge improvement.

And maybe in a few years you can be even more blessed and lucky and move to the great state of TN........

This is where most of the Georgians aspire to be one day.

:bigsmyl:
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Ray I will give you a call in a few hours if thats good.

David I looked at TN and all my searches came up with Hanna Montana and Miley Ciyrus pop up's so I gave up. And my dentist suggested against TN as well.   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Welcome aboard.  You are not far from me as well. Been in GA for 11 years now and it has become home to me and the family. Fry it and you will fit right in.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Hey I'm from Tennessee and my tooth-to-tatoo ratio is just fine thank you  :)  I moved to the North and had to introduce folks around here to grits, sweet tea, and chittlins'...they also have shopping carts here instead of shoppin' buggies, and they don't tote their bows they carry them. Good luck with the move. I miss the south and as soon as my children are in college I'm headin' back   :)    PS After goin' hog hunting and being in real swamps last week I really miss being home!
Mike Davenport

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
of course!I like sweat tea.
But do you like SWWEEEETTT tea, collards and corn bread :biglaugh:Boiled okrie slidin down is a delicacy  :saywhat:  

I think you will love it down here. Never hunted the mountains but I will... good hunting in the mid part of the state and also n south GA for some fine animals. A fine group of TBG'ers too. Look us up when you get some roots planted.
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Listen to what Wampus said!!!!!
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Mike-
I figured you must have been in the medical field to use the "T to T" ratio. Hope you get back home to TN soon, always room for another good RN. I went north to practice/learn the craft of medicine during my residencies. Figured it was better to practice on those Ohio Yankees until I got a bit better.

Tim-
Georgia is a great state (excepting the Saturday of the near annual TN Vols beatdown) and I think you'll love it. I know if someone offered me a chance to live in a former prison colony vs Jersey, I'd choose GA every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a great state with lots of quality TG members. You definitely upgraded.

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Boiled Peanuts!   :readit:    :bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:

I'm with Terry...there's some pretty fine woodlot deer hunting for bruisers up here in the northern arc of metro ATL
Don't forget north of Atlanta....lots of rural land and Berry Management area....The Berry College campus is one of the larges campuses east of the Mississip....and is know as 'The Deer Factory'.

Alatoona is another with lots of deer.....then there's Dawson Forest...Pine Log......I could go on and on...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Terry,
Its gonna take me a year to get around to all those areas. Some thing are just worth the time.Do you have to have a special permit for the Berry College Campus area to hunt?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Good for you! I'd LOVE to move south and have always liked the idea of settling in Georgia. I'm jealous!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Dueling Banjos? Spent some military time in TN and Fla and found my Michigan was the place for me. Still, would love to find time to head south and hunt.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Last time I went to GA, got stopped at the border by the highway patrol. They were searching cars to make sure no one was bringing in educational materials. LOL

Lots of good old boys down in Ga. pretty country too. It has it all from the marsh to the mts. If I had to pick between living in NJ and GA, I'd be in the long line. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
I guess I'm pretty blessed to live where I do! I can be in 4 different states in less than a hour and be in GA in close to 3 hours, which I hunt alot.  I know theres some Nascar fans on here somewhere, If there is you know Bristol TN. Here in the South is great, lots of fishin/huntin for a variety of critters.  
I got a friend that lives in Jersey and he tells me all the time to find him a place to live down here!!!lol  
Dont forget the local BBQ joints and Fish fry's fellas!!! Enjoy the move and pick up a pair of good snake boots!!!!!
Black Widow PMA X 46#@30"

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Once you establish your residency you can get the sportsman package which includes turkeys, deer (10 does and 2 bucks), unlimited hogs, small game, a bear, fishing, ... For about $60.

Most folks hunt private land but there are a pile of WMA's and other property to hunt.  Corps of Engineer land is a good bet too.

If I were to move on the north side I'd pick a few areas in those northern WMA's and learn them like the back of my hand.  Hard to beat hunting deer, bears and hogs at the same time.

Enjoy JoJa!  I left when I went into the service and missed it ever since.  We are back there at least during the holidays every year.  God's country for sure.  Make sure you sit a spell and learn about the history wherever you end up living.  Not many states have beaches and mountains, and surely wear red and black as often as possible!!!!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
my home is about three miles from Dawson Forest WMA and i am an easy drive to both NC and SC, plenty of places to hunt. I would caution you to choose your area carefully to live, if you work in the metro area. GA 400 runs north and south into 285/atlanta, with the population growth, the last time i was home, going 40* miles south to 285 was a 2 hour rush hour trip. Depends on your job location, but, take Ray's advise, call him.most of the time, traffic is a nightmare.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©