3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stu's calculator???  (Read 182 times)

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
stu's calculator???
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
can't work it out. can anyone tell me what it says? i draw to 28"-28.5". the bow is a recurve 51#@29" center cut window,and i shoot 55-75 Gt's cut to 30.5"with 100gr insert and 150gr point .if more weight? how much??  thanks   :dunno:

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stu's calculator???
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Need more info. Nock weight? String? Feathers? I'm guessing that your strike plate is 1/16" thick?
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
here is what it says you are underspined but very close.

I used generic recurve and increased center cut to +1/16 since I assumed you used some side plate. Used 31 as bop since you stated shafts were cut to 30.5 the extra is for end of shaft to nock valley.
Footing Yes length .5 (this is a number Stu has told me to use) due to use of 100g insert which are normally 1.5"

You do not mention string type of strands so I used FF.

You have alot of options to tune in your setup.
If it were my set up I would consider cutting shaft in small increments down to 30 or a tad less.

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I still don't understand the YES for footing. An insert isn't considered a footing or am I wrong?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
I still don't understand the YES for footing. An insert isn't considered a footing or am I wrong?
You are correct. The weighted inserts are a different animal.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
The Calculator is set to a standerd insert 1" long ( actully .9") a 100 grain insert is 1.5" long, the extera .5" is in contact with the shaft wall making it non felxable there fore you need to use the .5 as an internal footing. Hope this makes sence.

So anything internal or external that is in contact with the shaft that is longer than a standerd insert, .9", the differace needs to be input as a footing.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
If using the calculator PLEASE down load the directions..

I copied this from them

Important:
If using a longer insert than a std RPS insert, like the popular 100 gr brass insert, remember to set the “Footing” option to yes and enter the additional insert length there. The HIT inserts also fall into this category and are very long for their weight. Remember to include the depth set into the
shaft also!
Footing
If an internal OR external footing is being utilized then select "YES" from the drop down menu.
In the boxes below enter the length of the footing in inches and also the total weight of the
footing.
- An example of an internal footing would be any insert with a length greater than 0.9"
(std. insert length) or the extends into the shaft more than 0.9” An example is the HIT
insert as shown in the diagram below.
- An example of an external footing would include be an aluminum shaft glued over the
outside of a carbon shaft. In the case of an external footing enter the total length of the
footing minus 0.9” as indicated by X.XX” in the diagram below.
The diagram below shows the correct interpretation of a standard insert, an internal footing, and an external footing.

6 Nock End Weight
Enter the total weight of the nock and/or nock insert. If an arrow crown wrap is being used then it
weight should also be added.
Ex: A 11/32" Bohning Classic Nock weighs 13.5 grains. A CE Nock weighs 9.8 grains.
A wrap typically runs between 6 to 15 grains.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
thanks for your help ,i was shooting quite well(to my capability anyway) and its good to know that i am close   thanks again     :archer2:   :

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©