3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BSA Troop going to E.T.A.R  (Read 368 times)

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
BSA Troop going to E.T.A.R
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Look out Potter County Pennsylvania we are coming to the ETAR.

I had posted a few month ago that our Boy Scout Troops boys, wanted to build their own bows, and they want to go with me to the Rendezvous, at the Denton Hill state park (ETAR). After seeing some of the pictures I showed them it was a done deal.
 I encouraged the boys to take one step at a time, so what they have decided to do is earn their own money and buy a bow that they would only do part of the work. With some help from my Trad-gang friends here, I ended up calling Rudderbows. The beautiful person on the other end of the phone was very kind and so helpful, thank you Sherry. So they have ordered their bows and a group of arrows which consist of 6 in the bunch.

What I am hoping for is that maybe some of you would have some old arrows laying around that you would be willing to part with. I have some arrows I could trade. I will look and see what I have.
I know six arrows will not last these guys very long. If you think you can help it would be greatly appreciated.
the bows are all around 25-30 pounds @ 23-25”  
And don’t worry guys we are going to split up into three groups of 8 at ETAR so we won’t hold things up at the shoot. I think this is going to be a blast.
I would like to thank Rudderbows for the discount and all the help you have done for us, Sherry is the kindest person, and after she called me back the third time with even more saving. I just don’t know how they can pull this off, for the price they gave me. Thank you all at Rudderbows for your help and patriotism.  You all are good people in my book. Thanks to the members of Trad-Gang as well, for your help and guidance. I will post pictures as we go.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BSA Troop going to E.T.A.R
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
You might look in the how to section and look at mikes $0.98 arrow build along that might work out prety slick for them boys and I'll look at home to see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Thanks Jake that is helpful, I will take a look.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I check on the how to, what a great idea. My guys have to build an arrow for their archery merit badge. I will have to see if there is an easy way to build a string.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline KochNE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »

Bruce,  There's a good video that showed me how to make strings.  I don't use a jig.  Too bulky & all the twists & turns just complicates something that should be simple.  Just use a tape measure to cut my first length of thread at bow length +12".  Then each subsequent one is cut 1" shorter on each end (2" shorter overall) to get the "taper" when I twist up the bundle.  Do this until I have as many threads as I need for a bundle.  Then twist up my 2 or 3 bundles w/ plenty of wax to hold everything together.
"As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another."  Proverbs 27:17

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Ibuilt my string jig from the how to section. As well if its still on there it works great on a 2x4 just mesure and go i used finish nails on mine

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
How tall are the boys? What arrow length will you need? Are you really taking 24 of these little buggers??

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Ibuilt my string jig from the how to section. As well if its still on there it works great on a 2x4 just mesure and go i used finish nails on mine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I have 19 going right now, with two fathers shooting for the first time as well. I am as fired up about this as these guys are. I can't wait to get the bows and watch them shoot their bows for the first time, look out below. I’m just kidding we will have a lot of safety training, and will work hard on form before the bows even show up. I will check on the how too sight and see if the string making instructions are still there. That youtube video will be a big help. Thanks for the help guys. I know this is going to be a big task we are doing, I love it if you could just see them hi stepping and almost a bounce in the stride when they are planning this. It’s mostly the older boys, but it is carrying on to the younger boys. Their ages range from 11-to-17. Our six youngest are still trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. Their heights range from 4’10” 50lb to 6’4” and 350lb. all the bows will be 25-30lb except the three for the two adults and one Scout that could be counted for two I went with 40-45 for them. What do you think this should be enough bow for them to start. I didn’t want to over bow these guys  :knothead:    :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I was hoping to go to ETAR this year but instead going to Northern Tier the same week.

You have given me an idea for the Troop my boys are in! Maybe we can go to another event!

I will float this a the next meeting.

Have fun!

Martin

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Well I looked and I thionk my nephew raded my arrow box so I'm out of em. I think its great what you are doin for these boys I hope you post lots of pics befor you so to etar and after ya get there as well god bless

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Ok, so probably 24" long kids arrows will likely not do it. Big difference.
Now, what bow did you order from rudderbows and what are their specs,length etc.?
Please measure the draw length of the boys and make a list to give us an idea what is needed when it comes to spine and arrow length.
Just sending in old arrows is like shooting a broom stick from your bow....

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
The boys are getting the English long bow 72" my boys draw range from 23-25" Sherry from Rudderbows said the arrows they are getting should work fine with that short of a rang in draw. I know what I have gone through to find what I call the perfect arrow for my bow. Man I hope I don't have to go through that with every bow we get.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »
Took my son to ETAR when he was young with a friend, they had a blast. Take lots of arrows.lol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
That’s what I am hoping for, to take the boys and plenty of arrows. Thanks to all for your gifts, I know you don't want to be recognized and I will honor that, but please take a hart felt thank you.
Bruce
  :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
72" bows for 23-24" draws?
For kids? IMHO, I can only hope you got one of these bows in the $50 range.
I don't think this style of bow is really suitable for young kids. There are better choices which can be made looking fantastic with only a little work. The right body-height to bow length ratio is crucial for kids imho.
Ok, here is the deal: I'll sponsor bow and arrows for 2 kids. Each will get 1 suitable bow,a matching dozen of arrows and I will give you my sizeable tab pattern and armguards patterns as well.
To find the right bows for those 2 kids, I'll need a bunch of data from them. I'll PM you my e-mail and we can talk. With the patterns and some leather, the boys can build their own tab and armguard as a project, since these items need to fit. PM me what you think...
When I know their data and have the bows, I'll need aproximately 2 weeks to pretty them up, make new strings and tune them up, finish and fletch the arrows and match them to the bows to 25 yards.
How you pick the two boys is your responsibility.
Pick them well...

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Traditional-Archer,

check your pm.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I got your message inthere10x that is great thank you. I sent you a message as well. tecum-tha what a generous offer thank you I will send you a pm.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
tecum-tha, I will let you know Tuesday and thank you.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
So far we have eight Doz. arrows six bows. Six tabs, six arm guards, and some help on the way (Promises made). Thanks guys you have made a difference in a young man’s life today. Maybe for the rest of his life.

Bruce   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©