3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who uses a back quiver and what kind  (Read 409 times)

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Who uses a back quiver and what kind
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
I have a Steve Catts nottingham. Took a little while to get used to it but now I wear it all the time when practicing. I put a small leather side quiver inside and that helped to keep the arrows in place. Took a little while to be able to hit that when it's on my back. Just curious how many of you use one. Thanks
psalm 83:18

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who uses a back quiver and what kind
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I have tried the true back quivers and never did like reaching back to get the arrows and when going thru the woods and bending over to clear an over hang I always kept catching the arrows on the overhang.  Several years ago I bought a over the shoulder arrow quiver that Rapture Archery made and I feel in love with it.  The arrows are close at hand and you can withdraw the arrow with little movement, while still controlling the arrows while bending over.

Howard Hill was the master of the back quiver and I always admired how he could so effectually use one.  Maybe I just did not try hard enough or maybe that was about the only choice Howard had.

Good luck

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Back quivers are pretty popular here in Australia. I've tried all the different types of quiver, and have decided I prefer the back quiver. I highly recommend Tradganger Mike G's work: "Mike's Archery Leather".
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
True watching Howard moved me to get one. I soon found out that they take practice to. I also think that a smaller version would work better for me and be quieter.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I use a Steve Catts medium Hill style when I use one. I prefer the stiffer leather and let it mold to my back over time. If you do lots of stalking you may have a learning curve. If you just want to carry your arrows to your chosen ambush spot, they're hard to beat.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I have an MAL (Mike's Archery Leather) quiver that is absolutely awesome!!
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Nice Kevin like that fur. Mine had fur but the guy I got it from removed it. Need to put some back and quiet things down a bit.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Been using one made by HH Archery; the soft latigo version. I love it. It's comfortable, quiet, and when adjusted correctly you just spin it under your arm when you're going through the thick stuff. Works real slick. If I'm going far enough in that I need to carry a backpack then I'll use a side quiver (GFA style), but other than that I prefer the back quiver.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Kevin, that is one nice looking quiver....Love the rattle,color, fur & feather...you can be real proud of that one.

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
I use a homemade one, love it.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Kevin, I really like your quiver. The fur, feather, and rattle rally make it awesome.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
HI uglyjake good to see you around,,I have a handmade elk hide quiver I carry my water bottles and lunch in mine...keeps arrows quiet..or I use wally world sacks redneck thing..

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I also use Steve Catts. Hands down the best leather work I've ever seen.

"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I like back quivers. For 3d and stump shooting I use my steven catts similar to T.j.'s (not as pretty) and a little beat up,for hunting a use a new quiver out by safarie tuff it go over the back but unloads from the side,its the cats meow. It fits up really good with my bison lost river pack. I also have a hill but i find it heavy. If you get a hill get one made of light leather they are great quivers. H.Hill Archery made mine.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I love my Sunset Hill back quiver!

Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
T.J. I have a hawk just like yours. I bought it at the Chester Texas shoot,from a big ol boy I think he was from SanAntonio.I made a scabod for it.I stick it in my belt with my bowie.

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Love my back quiver. I had admired Shell's work for a long time. By the time I decided to order one she had stopped taking orders. Got lucky and found this one on the classifieds here and I didn't hesitate. It is a large quiver made of bison hide. I'll never part with it.
 They do take some getting use to.  :thumbsup:  
Ed

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Do you guys have trouble with the soft leather quivers?  I have tried to like 'em and have one now but it seems awkward to me.  Arrow accessibility is hit and miss - not as quick/simple as a side/bow quiver.

When you are under pressure to shoot a second arrow, do you ever mistakenly pull out a blunt or judo?

Guess that there is a learning curve, eh?

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
For years have used a self made back quiver. This year will be giving a GFA quiver a go , so I have not totally got away from one.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I use a couple of Shriver quivers and the back quiver is my favorite. I would like to try a HH style quiver one day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©