3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Actionwood or Dymondwood  (Read 534 times)

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
Actionwood or Dymondwood
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
If you were to purchase a new bow would it be worth $25 more to you for a Dymondwood handle section over an Actionwood handle? Both come in a variety of colors with the Actionwood more readily available. In my opinion the Dymondwood looks a little fancier but for a hunting bow I am not sure it's worth it so I am asking your opinion.

Is Dymondwood to you, worth the extra $25 over actionwood? Yes or No

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Actionwood or Dymondwood
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I had to look up each to see the difference and it just seemed the Dymondwood had more vibrant (aka "plastic") colors.  I'd pay a premium to get a more solid "I" beam style riser and avoid the plywood look entirely.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
There have been issues with certain colours of Dymondwood in the past.

Actionwood, although not as attractive, is a long proven quantity.

I will include some pics.

yes, please include pics but make sure they're no wider than 640 - thanx!

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/damascusdave_2009/005-1.jpg[/IMG]

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
I like and use Actionwood.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Oh crap, forgot to resize so it will get booted.

ACS riser is black dymonwood I guess with a beaver tail wrap.

Jeffery riser is black actionwood.

I will think twice about hunting with the ACS just because of its cost.

I consider the Jeffery to be my knock around bow. It will one day be in my vehicle at all times.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Yep, I have built hundreds on bows with each and I keep going back to Dymondwood for the looks but I thought I would ask others opinions. The new SpectraPly Onyx (Actionwood) looks pretty nice though!

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
The first thing I would do is really test the 2 for any differences, weight, moisture resistance, strength etc. would all be considerations.

If all is equal I would save the $25.   If the dymondwood is considerabley better in any way I would pay the extra.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Dymondwood all the way.  But then I use only two colors.  I like the extra mass.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I voted yes because I like the little bit of added weight that Dy-wood gives as well...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I do get 4 to 5oz more weight out of my bows with Dymondwood.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Jason
Everyone thats shoot my bow loves the grip the quitness and the speed but sometimes I wish it was just a little more fancy, something to dress it up just a bit or set, it apart from the others. I know its a "huntin bow" and its my go to bow and aways will be but just the same. By the way Iv'e shot my last 4 deer with this bow. Ya Dymondwood would be better.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
I voted no. I don't see enough difference between the two to warrant paying the extra $$. Aside from that, I've heard that there can sometimes be problems down the road with dymondwoods delaminating...  :dunno:
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I like dymondwood on longbow risers and actionwood on recurve risers.  Since I shoot longbows, I'd pay more for dymondwood.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
Delaminating Dymondwood is no longer an issue as far as I am concerend. I have had 2 develop cracks in the last 11 years of using it. I dont know how many bows that would be as I didnt keep good records back then but it's several hundered. I had some crack just sitting on the shelf but that was at the time Rutland (the mfg) over cooked a batch from what I hear.

The one real nice thing about actionwood is after cutting a bunch of it my shop smells like wood! Dymondwood, not so much   :D

I do appreciate everyones thoughts on the matter! Keep those opinions coming.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Just had a 7-Lakes blank made with actionwood with a 1/4" strip of phenolic running thru it, due to what I have heard about possible delamination problems with dymondwood. Don't know enough to know how much of a potential problem exist.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
The riser of my go to recurve is made of Dymondwood from Rutland Ply Co.  The D-woods used in it are called haritage walnut & haritage midnight. I think they look pretty good and I like the added weight.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I now own one of each from Jason and I am a actionwood fan.The 4 or 5 oz. is hardly noticable.Actionwood looks more like real wood then Dymondwood.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
I now own one of each from Jason and I am a actionwood fan.The 4 or 5 oz. is hardly noticable.Actionwood looks more like real wood then Dymondwood.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
i have dymond wood in my 3 pc longbow riser....wouldnt have or order anything else and would pay 100.00 more for the dymondwood.....really like the added weight..i own a jim jones firefly....hopefully jim is not reading this, because he's building another riser for me right now...  :D
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Since I prefer a heavier riser, I always avoid actionwood as well as other light woods no matter their beauty.

Dymondwood runs from 60-75 #'s/cu ft and within the range of the heavies that I strongly prefer.
4-5 ounces is significant to me and the price difference is not a question. I am not made of money and normally have to rat hole money to fund a bow. My objective is to own a bow that meets and/or exceeds my expectations. Dymondwood is the only choice for me.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©