3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Heaven June 17-19 2011 is on!  (Read 3615 times)

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Heaven June 17-19 2011 is on!
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
Rick it was great meeting and hunting with you and Sean! Hope to share a camp with you again some day.

Pete
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Ok the quick stats for those pressed for time:
Total Hogs spotted: 31
Number of Stalks made: 4
Total times with in bow range: 3
Total shots taken: 0
Total water consumed: I lost track after the first camel pak was emptied!

Pete nailed down our arrival pretty well, so I’ll skip to the hunt.  Friday afternoon I went down in the swamp looking for any cool wet dirt the hogs might be in.   Ray had suggested this is where they would be if we went out in the afternoon, and after about 45 minutes of quiet walking, I spotted a piglett!  I watched for a moment and saw there were quite a few pigs in this group.  There was a small but really pretty all red pig, a 50 pound black pig, and a 60 pound black with white spots pig.  The pigs heard me coming toward them and started moving west.  I went right along side of them and finally got ahead hoping to pull off a “H-ambush”.  I was only 20 yards from the hogs when I saw the little red head, who was leading the heard, begin to break cover.  Her head poked out and she made a noise like “PHEWW”  “PHEWW”.  Before I could see anything else they were gone.  I tried to follow but soon find myself a bit lost and running low on water.  I went out later that night, and found what I thought was a solitary hog, but as I tried to stalk up on it I saw it was part of larger pack.  I was busted in a few minutes and they were gone.  Later I came across an eight foot alligator.  That really put me on the look out as I wandered the empty swamp bottoms.

The next morning Ray said it might be advantageous to hunt in pairs.  My dad and I headed into the swamp where I had been so lucky to put on a good stalk.  As we wandered about and enjoyed the scenery I saw the tail and hind legs of a hog about 40 yards in front of us.  The problem was dad had his back to me and I couldn’t signal him to point out my discovery.  After a lot of frantic waving and finger snapping my dad looked and I motioned a head of us.  As he glassed the heard, I slipped between trees, and ducked behind the cane and palmetto.  I was on the second successful stalk of my life, the first being yesterday, and I was soon right in the thick of the heard.   I looked them over trying to pick out biggest, they were between the 40 and 50 pound range.  I hesitated, despite being within 15 yards of most of the pigs.  The day before the larger hogs were always at the rear of the smaller ones, and I was really holding out for a bigger one.  My dad eased up for a shot but the arrow fell short.  The hogs didn’t seem to mind and went on eating.  The slight breeze shifted and they were gone.

As we waited for the pigs to settle down so we could follow, my dad spotted another pig.  I stalked up to with in eight yards but it was a really small hog.  20 pounds, maybe.  I never got the opportunity to get near the others as this little guy just wouldn’t turn away from me while he ate.  

Sunday was a quiet morning, I saw a turkey, but not much else.  Still It was great day in the woods, we walked out to the Savannah river, saw the biggest spider of my life, and gave my clothes one last soaking of sweat before we had to go home.

I can’t wait to go back to Hog Heaven, but I think I’ll stick with the cooler weather months.   One thing is for sure if it’s hogs you’re after, there is no shortage of them in Ray’s neck of the woods.
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Forgot to add the pics here's a few of my favorites

I'll try to post more pics when photo bucket will work properly
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Still waiting to hear from Thom and 'The Glide'!
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Pete, you too! We're figuring out dates for next spring, maybe you can join us.
 Rick
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Here's one of Sean down by the river.  It was'nt foggy, the humidity steamed up my camera lens.

Here's another,  I don't mean to brag, but he can flat out shoot that Ambush bow.

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure the glide is passed out at home.  He slept almost the whole drive and even when we got to MI he looked bushed.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Pete and Sean taking a breather after the morning hunt.

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
Thanks Rick, I might just try to make it in the spring if you have any openings!

Pete
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Pete, PM sent.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Rick, PM sent back. Done Deal!
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
I think all totaled these guys saw about 90-100 hogs from friday midday to Sunday 1030am.

Quite a weekend.

This was a great group of guys...looking forward to you coming back in teh Spring.

We got 7 inches of rain at the property Friday and Saturday nights, and boy did we need it.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Thanks again, It was a truly amazing trip. I kept replaying all those stalking moments in my head the whole trip home and planning out our next tour of hog heaven

After this trip i really feel like a bowhunter. I in no way feel skunked or disappointed, with the weekend. I stalked a group of hogs! I got right in there with them and that is a memory i will carry with me for a life time.  And my dad got to watch the whole experiance unfold.

Thank you Ray!

-Sean

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Howdy guys! This was an awesome trip! Looks like I can skip a bunch of stuff already covered and get right to the good stuff.

Friday afternoon - I took off and got buried in a swamp first thing, lots of fresh sign everywhere but I didn't see any pigs. I was slowly sweeping more and more to the right following the sign and I came out on the wrong road.  I ended up taking a scenic tour of the north side of the property on the way back to get some water. Kicked up a few whitetails including one really big one on the way back.

Friday evening - After a water refill and some map recon I hoofed it out to a set of wallows and waited to see if the heat would drive a few in for me. Again a great spot with lots of fresh sign but I didn't get to see a pig there either. Being deep in the swamp shooting light disappeared early so I went out to the rendezvous point and saw Pete, we decided to get 50 yards apart and push up a long valley to another wallow before it was too dark. Nice hunt but we didn't see any on that leg.

Saturday morning - After a good soaking rain Pete and I decided to pair up and go hunt is Friday spots with the same method we used Friday evening. We put on a few miles through all the right places; cypress swamps, up on the bluffs, back down the ditches, around a few feeders.  We did see turkeys, racoons, and lots more pig sign, but no pigs. We went back to camp and got some breakfast.

Saturday afternoon - I considered the country Pete showed me that held pigs the day before, and some of the spots I had hit alone on Friday and talked Pete into doing another hunt in a different area deeper into the swamps. The bad part is that it was a few miles on foot just to the start point. Walking that few miles the entire place had been torn up by pigs since the rain the night before. We took up the swamp sloping down to a small lake and started working our way up when I spotted a nice black pig, I let Pete know what was up and put the stalk on keeping good cover between me and him but half way up the route he slipped out on me.  We did the last half mile of the hunt up to the road and Pete decided to hunt back along the route we came in, I decided to do the loop around the lake back to the camp. I came across a low pass into the lake from some ditches where the water went out very gradually, it was obvious the pigs using this route weren't worried about gators. What wasn't obvious was the sow and four piglets behind a bunch of brush 20 yards out until the wind shifted against my favor. She was about 60 pounds or so, the little ones maybe 20. About a mile closer to camp I broke off into a bottom with some tall grass and heard some grunting, I spent about 20 minutes going inch by inch through it but never saw him or heard him spook out. These can be sneaky little buggers. Head back to camp.

Saturday evening - Now having seen and put the stalk on a few pigs I'm in the zone, completely amped up and ready to go for the win. I took off out of camp on one wild idea scout that didn't pay off. I walked the creek bed on the north side of the property and found it completely dry only holding two whitetail in it. I worked the high ground near the pines as I went south to see if there was any sign or if the swamps were 100% the place to be, no sign in the pines. As it was getting later I confirmed my plan for the last few hours. It was really hot and nobody had been past that big wallow from the night before so I set off up there and laid an ambush for the first pig needing to come and cool off, unfortunatley no pig needed to cool off. Nice night, glad I had a thermacell, saw two deer walk through my ambush point and that was nice.

Sunday morning - I wasn't sure how I was gong to hunt Sunday until the rain came down again Saturday night and apparently the clouds kept it dark enough they didn't feed all night. I decided to do a replay of the Saturday afternoon route. I blasted up to the start point in about an hour and only crossed one set of pig tracks, a good sign for my plan. Light was fully up as I went into that valley and I worked that path for a few hours seeing very little new sign since the day before. I got to the top and worked my way to the drinking hole and spooked another sow in the 80 pound range with two much bigger piglets with her. Knowing that ditch was pure north/south I made my gamble and buttoned to a high ambush point on the northernly path. Too bad they decided they wanted to go south. I sat in the spot for half an hour and drank water preparing for the long push back to camp, no more came by. I started working my way back down a logging road towards camp and after about a quarter mile I walked up behind two bigger pigs rooting the road itself! I was about 50 yards behind them and picked a path to cut half of the distance quickly and quietly, as soon as I had visual cover I moved fast and made that point. From there I planned my next 10 yards and slowly pushed up a step each time both of their faces were down. By now I could see the one in the lead was in the 150 range and the one closer to me was around 80. The problem I faced was that there was no way to flank them through the crunchy brush, and they were both rooting straight away from me.  I kept to the left side of the road up against cover to break up my outline, they would take a few steps and root, I'd take a few steps and catch up. We inched up the road together without them ever giving me even a quartering shot.  When my boot finally made a bad fall and they broke they were at 11 and 16 yards, I had plenty of time to pace that off because they were long gone. I did follow their tracks for a few hundred yards and found some nice ditches and wallows for my effort but I never got another look at them. I did go nice and easy back to camp and saw lots more sign as the morning wore on but nothing worthy of print.

Other important items; THANKS RAY! You're knowledge and pointers for a first time pig hunter were invaluable! Thanks to the Michigan crew for inviting me along for the caravan, I had a great time getting to know you guys! Pete, thanks for working those swamps with me on Saturday, watching you hunt let me know I was doing all the right things on Friday and was just in the wrong place at the right time on Friday. Hope I get to come hunt pigs with all you guys next year!

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
What a hunt. First off boy do I love water! My hat's off the the person who came up with the camel pack idea. I love you where ever you are.

It was great to hunt with Thom, Pete, Sean, and Rick and Ray was his usual fantastic host.

To make a long story short I saw 8 hawgs the first day took a shot at about 18 yards and shot about 4 ft short. I think I was to pooped to shoot!

Saturday I saw a group of 7 and stalked the for quite a while but never got into shooting position. Little later I came across 6 more put a stalk on them for about 45 minutes. A tough stalk for me because it was so humid I coundn't wear my glasses finally got my opportunity took my shot and missed low. That was a real tough day in the swamp. I had hunted from about 7a.m. and came in about 5 pm for a break rested up and hit it again.

Went out and hunted with Ray on Sunday but the hawgs just weren't in the cards for that day.

This was Rick's and my third hunt at Ray's, each one different from the other, but each one has been great.

Pete and Thom, it was great sharing a camp with you two. I spoke with Rick a little earlier and it looks like we are booking for next April already.

My thanks once again to Thom, Pete, Rick, Sean and Ray! One more fantastic hunt, lots of laughs, great food and memories for life!
TGMM

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Thom, glad to hear you got up close and personal with a couple more yesterday morning!

I had a great time hunting with you. Hope you are able to make it next time!

Pete
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Doug you were a machine!

It was a great hunt, great food and great company. I'm in for next year!

If any one has been thinking about getting down to Ray's, quit thinking and book a hunt!

I'll be getting a smaller camelbak(same water, less other stuff) and some heavier arrows before we go again!

Pete
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Ray, I knew we got some rain - but 7"? Wow, it was amazing how little standing water there was after that much rain.

Ray, I've been remiss in thanking you here. You certainly know how to put on a hunting camp! Food was awesome (and plentiful), wisdom was plentiful and shared, and the company was great!

Thanks for having me, I can't wait until next spring!

Pete
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Thanks Pete, it was great hunting and sharing a camp with you too! Doug, I got the heads up for next year via PM last night and plan to be on board with you guys!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I enjoyed having you in camp, Pete, Sean, Doug, Rick, and Thom...and thanks everyone for the nice comments!

That makes it all worthwhile.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©