3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My hog set up. Opinions wanted!  (Read 343 times)

Offline Stephen Claypool

• Trad Bowhunter
My hog set up. Opinions wanted!
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:00 AM »
Hey, guys. Im gonna be going on a hog hunt in oklahoma in early may. Ive been shooting this recurve for about a year now and my accuracy is not great but im confident out to 15-18yds and pretty confident out to 25.I hope to keep all my shooting under 15. While i have been shooting this set up a little while, this will be my first hunt w/ it. Im wanting to get your guy's opinion on my setup. From what ive been reading i think im good to go. What say you?

48#@28" recurve. I draw 28.5"
carbon express heritage 250
50gr. brass insert. magnus stinger 2 blade 150gr.
Total arrow weight 560gr w/ a high foc.
Its shooting 168fps

The arrows fly great. Really like darts, as long as i do my part.
Light travels faster than sound. Thats why some people appear intelligent, until you hear them speak.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My hog set up. Opinions wanted!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Your set up is fine,shot placement is crucial no matter the set up. I do prefer a 3 blade head for hogs.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »
SC,how long do you cut your arrows?they look to be a little on the stiff side to me.I use my 250 with 100grs inserts and 145 Bh cut at 29" with my 55-60#recurves.Same DL.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline aussiebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:00 AM »
2 blades anyday for hogs, big hogs....coc...

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
all the best for our hunt, i'm curiuos also to know how long are your arrow because it's look like to me also that you are on the stiff side ...
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
Razor sharp 2-blade BH's on that mix will work fine. Maybe not complete passthrough especially on a 200#'er but definitely into the boiler. Best of luck. Have fun.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Here is my humble opinion.  Keep your shots within the range that your accuracy IS the best.  If that means 10 yards, that is the limit.

If you are not consistent you may have a tuning problem.  Generally speaking it is better to be slightly under spined than over spined.  Trysome more weight up front and see if your consistency picks up.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Gregg is on the money!!!   It sounds like you may be a little on the stiff side, which is what might be leading to a little inconsistancy.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
here is some ball park info on your set up with info you provided. I guessed at some and played with arrow length.

If you want to play with the calculator you can download it  spine calculator  . You will need microsoft excel or open office spreadsheet program

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
That set up should be fine for hogs. I like to shoot hogs at a maximum of 15 yards since the kill zone is so small and they never stand still. If you are stalking you should be able to get within 15 yards and if you are on a feeder wait for the hogs to eat all the corn under the feeder and then they will make there circles sucking up the corn closer to your stand.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
SC,how long do you cut your arrows?they look to be a little on the stiff side to me.I use my 250 with 100grs inserts and 145 Bh cut at 29" with my 55-60#recurves.Same DL.
I was thinking the same thing.  If they bareshafted ok, you most likely be fine.  I shoot the 150's from my 52 lb bows and they need extra weight up front to spine correctly.

Other than that, you should be in business if you put the arrow in the spot!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Stephen Claypool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
My arrows measure 30" over all from insert to knock. 29.75" shaft-shaft.
Maybe a mistake but i didnt bare shaft tune. I started w/ a fletched, full length shaft and just used a plastic sack to secure the insert in the shaft. I cut a little off until i thought i was getting the best flight. The arrows really fly great at close range and out to 30yds. I would never shoot at a animal at 30yds i just backed up to watch the arrow flight.
So, u think i should try some 200gr tips? I dont mind heavy arrows. Love'em!
Not sure i understand the dynamic spine computer program. Is that chart saying that i need a 55# bow for my arrows to be correct?

Thanks for everyone posts.
Light travels faster than sound. Thats why some people appear intelligent, until you hear them speak.

Offline Stephen Claypool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
ttt

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
I was thinking too stiff myself for that 48#........the feathers are negating the stiffness. Always bare shaft.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
Looks like your pretty close.I was thinking too stiff as well at your draw length.

I like the 250 shaft and how you got it set up with the brass insert and 150 gr. Stinger head.Maybe cut to 31 inches and or add a 100 grain insert instead of the 50.Or go higher weight on the head.I like the stinger head.If your brass inserts are hot glued in it might be worth removing them and spending 12 $ on some 100 grain inserts.Thats one of the reasons I like quality hot melt for installing inserts.

You might also try a skinny string made from 450,ultra cam,Atroflight or D-10 to add a little extra effeciency or energy to the arrow that your allready using if they prove to be too stiff.

Great arrow though overall for hunting about anything.Pretty much what I use.I would bareshaft as suggested and see if your too stiff.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »
I would go with Heritage 150 with your set up and a 100 grain insert with a 160 grain head like a STOS or magnus 125.... arrow would weigh  around 630 grains or 665 grains

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
My opinion: Too light in draw weight and arrow weight for the big boars; fine for the smaller pigs.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
My opinion: Too light in draw weight and arrow weight for the big boars; fine for the smaller pigs.
Ben, what would be your optimal arrow weight for the big ones?  Curious to know how many # you are holding too...thanks!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
G'day Tony,

Most of the lads shooting the larger boars in Australia are using about 60# at the least, and shooting at least 600 grains with two-bladers. A few fellows are successful with lighter bows in the 50# range, and one really good hunter used to shoot a few big boars with a high 40# bow. And a few fellows do use three-bladers, although one of the lads who used-to use them quite often has switched to two-bladers in recent years.

The whole debate centres on what is possible as opposed to what is best practice, and is quite similar to the issue of smaller calibres for buffalo possibly working very well as opposed to larger calibres absolutely working well.

I've killed big boars with 83# of Silvertip and ~750 grain, STOS-tipped arrows; 78# of Hill longbow and ~700 grain, STOS-tipped arrows; 78# of Black Widow longbow and ~700 grain, Magnus II-tipped arrows (and one fair boar with a Woodsman).

I don't believe that the weights above are vital for big boars at all; but they certainly work well.

So far, I haven't killed a big pig with lighter bow, but these days I am shooting bows in the 60# range.

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©