3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leather dressing  (Read 338 times)

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather dressing
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I would like to try some of the Montana Pitch Blend leather dressing. My problem is I can't bring myself to pay more in shipping charges than the cost of what I'm buying.

I'm planning to use it on boots, my side quiver, shooing glove, and arm guard. Is there anything else like Montana Pitch-Blend that is easier to find in a common retail store?
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather dressing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I just tried the Montana Pitch Blend a few months ago and was surprised at how similar it seemed to Harley-Davidson Leather Dressing. I don’t know if it’s made the same, but it goes on the same and soaks in the same.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Ive been using Doc Marten wonder balm, seems to have similiar ingredients to MPB. Plus lots of good reviews on the web, not to mention its been around for a long time. You can pick it up usually at a mall where they sell Doc Marten shoes.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I usually try to buy it when I'm getting other things--like from 3 Rivers. The pine smell is what sets it apart. If all you want is good boot dressing, either SnoSeal (most hardware stores) or Doc Marten's Dubbin work well.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Simple solution....

Go to your local pharmacy and buy a pint of Mineral Oil. Probably less than $2.00. Yes, it is the same stuff folks used to take for constipation.     :rolleyes:    

A world class saddle maker in Fort Worth uses this on all of his custom saddles. He states that it will protect the leather and NOT make it susceptible to stretching out of shape. All the paste type material will collect dirt and grit till you have sticky mess all over your boots and other leather stuff.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Danny is dead on with the mineral oil suggestion. I use it on all my leather goods. With that said, I also have used Montana pitch blend as a water proofer on my leather boots. Contact "The Nicking Point" about purchase and shipping. They advertise in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. Mike ships cheaper than anyone I know. No minimum. You pay what he pays. Hard to beat. Buy from him once and you will buy again.    :thumbsup:

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ric O'Shay:
Simple solution....

Go to your local pharmacy and buy a pint of Mineral Oil.
I use mineral oil for a lot of things (not that thing though  :)  ), but I have to say as a leather dressing it's pretty piss poor.  I was reapplying it to a knife sheath at least 4x as often as I do with SnoSeal.

It's the combination of oils and waxes that make the other products hold up better.  When you warm the leather prior to applying, then rub a liberal (can I say that word here   ;)  ) amount of the product on and let the whole mess cool, the oils and waxes get pulled into the leather.  After it's cool you wipe off the excess, then buff.  There is no sticky mess after that.  Same principle as hot-stuffed leather.  

Straight mineral oil dries out and washes out in short order in comparison.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Jeremy -
You left out that with the paste stuff, the leather continues to soften and stretch out of shape. That's the down side to the pastes. It is not necessary to soak (read that as apply 4X as often) the leather in mineral oil.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I think 3 rivers carries pitch blend, really good stuff.
i also like Neetsfoot oil

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Ran across Australian Leather Dressing. Much "harder" than MPB.

Not a leather dude, but think the mink oil in MPB is what softens leather.

Some stuff like Ric says, I don't want to stretch. I just want to preserve and protect.

The Aussie stuff is a bit hard to put on, but it really seems to work well. Lasts a long time. Has to ---it's now pretty expensive since the dollar tanked.  Good stuff though and no softeners!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Doc -
Where can you find the ALD?

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Obenauf's.  I've used most kind of leather treatment like SnoSeal, Montana Pitch blend etc. for most of my life trying to keep my boots dry in the wet & snowy Cascade mountains of Washington.  None of them work haf as well as Obenauf's has.  It's easy to put one, isn't  greasy and lasts longer then the rest.

It was developed by a wildland firefighter to keep his boots conditioned.  I was really suprised how well it works.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline polarbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
IVAN how about Carl Dyer's Orginal Moccasin's  blend oil right there in Freindship,In.
Does your train of thought Have a caboose?

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Thanks for your reply's. Sorry to post and run on you guys. I ended up getting sidetracked yesterday and did not get a chance to get back to this.

I have used several different products with varying degrees of success. The most recent being Kiwi brand Camp Dry Mink Oil. I have tried the Mineral oil on knife sheaths and other small leather items but did not feel it lasted very long.

I'll make a list of things to keep an eye out for.

Polarbear. I will look into Dyer's in June when I go down to the shoot. I never even thought of that.  Thanks!
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
gene wensel recommends toilet bowl sealing wax.  i tried it.  wow, does that ever waterproof leather!  and super cheap, too.  in fact, works so well that it's tough to get off yer hands.  best applied with a rag while wearing some kinda gloves.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Too many options to pay excess ship charges. Min oil is very good. I like paste & have tons from saddle soap to boot butter to mink oil. Dave Bulla (herein) makes Bulla Bulla Butter. Good as anything I've ever used. Make your own. See archives.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I use Lexol on just about everything leather except winter boots that get Snowseal.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Toilet bowl sealing wax is what HH archery uses on their take down bows to lube and keep out moisture. However, as Rob says, it is a little messy.  :campfire:

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
pm sent
David M. Conroy

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©