3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk for a flatlander  (Read 331 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk for a flatlander
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
This may be asking a lot guys, but seeing all those beautiful western opics, I am contemplating doing an elk hunt.  Now the problem, I'm 50 years old and in only average shape (trying to work on this).  I am looking to do a 10 day DIY hunt for elk this season, but I'm looking for an area that the hunt will not be a miserable experience due to the ruggedness of the country (but looking for the "wilderness experience" at the same time).  I guess I am looking for an area of medium grade mountains and rolling hills for this flatlander to enjoy the west.  For the veteran elk hunters, what states/areas would you recommend.

Thanks
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk for a flatlander
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
I like the Laramie Peaks area of Wyoming. I did an elk hunt there last year. Here's a few details and the thread:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=093436#000000

It is not a huge physical hunt. I wouldn't say rolling hills but not the giant climbs that I was used to in Southern Colorado. You have plenty of time. Use the search engine on here. There are tons of threads on fitness for elk hunting as well as gear lists, etc. Good luck and if I can be of any help PM me.
Mike Davenport

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Since you have missed most of the draws, you need to look to an otc state. CO, UT, and I believe OR. Then start doing your homework or hook up with someone who can show you around. To hunt here in UT it would be a spike/cow hunt. And the crowds can be big with a lot of atv's. But there are elk here. I can give you some jump off spots if you want to pm me.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
As I fellow flantlander, I am also planning an elk hunt for this fall.  I've settled on CO due to the ability to drive there making the logistics easier.  I'm trying to narrow down a GMU still though.  I'm working on shaving off a few pounds and getting in shape and arriving there a day or two prior to my hunt starting to acclimate.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Exactly our plan Wislin.  Two days there to get used to the altitude then seven day hunting.  We are looking at CO also because of over the counter tags and relatively low cost.

We are looking at mid to late September.  If you are interested in joining let me know.  The current plan is to camp at a campground near the White River NF (nearest where we plan to hunt, haven't decided yet) and either hunt from there or maybe do a spike camp for a few nights if we need to.

If you are interested in joining let me know.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
I hunted around Rifle where the migration routs cross and it was OK after I got the altitude worked out.  I used a Ranching for Wildlife permit, yea, I was lucky...  

Thats a good area I think...  Its kind of rolling sage with some timber.  Worked for me.  I would love to go back but don't think I could do it now...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Elkmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Get in shape and prepare for it.

Not shape in the east either but shape for climbs that will test you.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
if you want a real hunt in the wilderness you'll be climbing every day i can pretty much promise you that.its brutal,steep rugged country and mother nature does not give a hoot about how you fare in her woods..be prepared and you'll have a much more enjoyable experience.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Yea, I am in "training" right now.  I have dropped 11 lbs and will start push cutting the yard with a loaded packpack while it's not so hot.

We have a different kind of wilderness and beauty in our neck of the woods here.  But, I can't get the pictures of the mountains and colors of the trees from my mind.  I have to do it before I'm too old.  Plan on spike camping if we have to climb high.  No use going down a perfectly good hill everyday. LOL
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Best mild grade elk hunting in our state is the Missouri breaks in eastern MT.  The problem is everyone else coming from other states likes it as well.  Don't expect solitude.   Also its more of a scrub country hunt. The plus side is the bulls are HUGE.
  I prefer the high country in southwestern MT.  The aspens and pines are intoxicating.   BUT... its a butt kicker and we hunt 8 miles in with llamas.   Not exactly for flatlanders.  Come on Sept!!!!
PS  MT is a draw state and the dealine is the 15th

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Looking for something OTC.  We are headed for CO, but there is always next year.  Thanks Montana.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
...I'm 50 years old and in only average shape (trying to work on this). ...
Good for you to decide to come out here and hunt elk.

I am 52. You really do need to work hard at getting into great shape. I can tell you that it will take a lot longer and take more mental effort than when we were in our 30's or 40's. It will be no picnic.

My advice is to be careful not to over train while still pushing yourself hard. That means designing a training routine that really taxes you once a week with lighter workouts the rest of the week.

You must allow your 50 year old body to build back.

This is really important. I found out that I could not train anything like I did when younger until I had been at it for a long long time.

This does not mean you can sort of coast- you can't. You need to push yourself- just do it smart.

When you get out here you will thank yourself if you worked very hard at getting in shape. If you sort of let it slide a bit and let your mind convince you to dial back the training or you have done enough, you will cuss yourself every step every day because you will be sucking wind, weak legged and looking at country you really want to hunt, but can't.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
im sure you know already but colorado dow website is an awesome tool for researching gmus.  Use google earth and other mapping software (i have topousa) before you go to really get a feel for what the country looks like.  Watch elknuts videos and learn what the elk are saying.  My crew used to camp by the truck- once we switched to a full week of spike camping our elk sightings inceased exponentially AND we lost 90% percent of the competition-
good luck and get in shape- the mountains can eat you up
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 02:20:00 AM »
Im 48, and am currently training for a full season backcountry hunt with my son. The area we are hunting is high, rugged and steep. Ive also hunted easier areas, but I can tell you regardless, the air at 7,000 ft, on up is a whole lot thinner, and dryer,than anywhere in LA.

Any weight you can drop is weight you dont have to carry around with you.

Get in the best shape you can before you go. You dont have to be a marathon runner, but the more you push yourself now, the more it will help.

do something every day. Walk, run, work your legs. A lot. squats, lunges, leg extensions, leg presses, etc. Overall conditioninig is good, but your legs and lungs are your hunt.

Start slow, work into it. But start now. I dont know if youre backpacking in, or hunting fromyour truck. But put at least a 25# daypack on, walk, climb stairs, bleachers whatever to work the legs. Walk a minute, run a mnute. do that daily for 20-30 minutes till you can walk 1 run 2. keep at it, keep turning it up. Dont run with a pack on, bad for your knees.

Do full body stretch routines after every workout, it will help a ton with muscle soreness, and make you mor flexible for rugged country. You think that day pack is heavy, wait till u haveto pack out an elk. Alone, plan on 4-5 trips, 100# each of meat,cape and rack if you shoot a bull. Its work.

My training consists of strict diet, and a variety of workouts. Check out stewsmith .com for some great workout programs.
I lift, do calisthentics, run, and treadmill work with my 50# pack on. I mix it up every day, I never do the same routine twice.I work out 6 days a week.  By August, that pack will have 80-90# in it, to get in shape for packing meat.

The more you put in to your hunt preparation, the better the hunt you will have. you may hike and glass for days until you find elk. You may not, but be ready.

There is no thrill to match the scream of a rutting bull elk coming in to your set up. If you get a shot and kill one, you've beaten odds of far more than 90% against you. Chasing the most majestic animal in North America with a stickbow, on your own is the best exerience you can get.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
jhg, thanks, all good points.  I may have misspoke.  The body is in shape (now), just don't have the lung capacity that I want yet, but it will come. I know those first couple of days at that altitude will be rough.  But I can make it better.  We may even get up there a couple of days early to acclimate our bodies.

AutumnArcher, you are absolutely correct.  The truck will be the base camp and I plan to make spike camp to get away from others.  I am in it for the experience, the kill will be a bonus.  I have always loved the mountains ...  I guess like some mountain people like the beauty of our marshes and swamps.  We will be four in the group so hopefully we will have some meat to carry down the mountain.  Either way I would rather match skills with the elk using a longbow and come up empty than kill him with a rifle, but that's just me.  I have killed A LOT of things in my life and right now all I need to do is share the experience with friends in places we have never been.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
awbowman,
Your philosophy on elk matches mine. I haven't killed one in a few years, but I have always been drawn to the mountains and the wonderful places where elk live. I spend lots of time in the high country, and if an elk happens to offer a shot with my longbow, I will gladly take it, but if not, the country is reward enough.
Heed the advice of others on this post; be in the best shape you can be in. Coming from near sea level to the Rockies will be a reality check as far as your ability to breathe is concerned, so do as much aerobically as you can before arriving. I don't know of lots of hills in La., but maybe some work on a stairmaster would be beneficial if you have access. If not, hiking with a weighted pack will help.
I hope you get a chance to go after elk; they are magnificent critters that live in awesome places.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Awbowman,
Glad you started this thread as I too am trying to plan a hunt this fall in Co. I'm late thirties, decent shape, but have started the workouts to get ready.  I have a bit of the youth advantage on you, but my Dad is joining us, so I'm appreciating all the good advice coming.  The way I see it is that the hunt will only be a week or so, but alot of the fun is the months of preparation spent getting ready as I get to spend more time with Dad on our "workout" hikes!  I can't think of any better motivation.  Good luck.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Awbowman, a lot of good units here in NM that aren't terribly grueling terrain.  Deadline is March 28th to put in for draw if you are interested.  Draw is a little tough for non-residents but the hunting is very good and worth giving it a shot.  Good luck....Shawn

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I am push cutting the grass with a weighted Alice pack right now.  Not sure I can keep it up through the 100 degree weather to come though. Also doing cardio in the mornings.  I tend to be prepared in anything I do and have confidence that within a couple of days of acclimation I'll be OK.  I would hate to get HALF the experience because I could not make it.

This hunt is actually in preparation for the ones I really want to go on.  One with my two sons.  They are in colege during September, so I have a couple of years to go.  I also have a buddy that will be retiring in a couple of years and I can't wait to share a campfire in the mountains with him also.

I will always love the mountains, but feel blessed with the swamps and marshes of my area.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Have you considered KY?  $10 to apply, April 30 is the deadline...  Lots of great bulls.

Archery tags offered for the first time this year.

If you get drawn, (up to 10% NR)NR license is $130 (good for small game and  needed to big game hunt)NR elk tag $365.  NR deer $60 2 deer, fall turkey $60
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©