3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Me and Bowspirit going to harvest multi-flora rose!! Pics. added!!  (Read 694 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Me and Bowspirit going to harvest multi-flora rose!! Pics. added!!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Let's just say we are well-stocked on shafts. Shawn only took a dozen or so, so I've got a lot of work ahead of me for the next few weeks...

Like Shawn said, We were being selective. Could have been a lot more in that bunch. Plus, we only hit the rabbit valley. I'm sure we'd have been packing 'em out on our backs if we'd headed over to Briarback mountain...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Parting shot, thanks again Cindy for taking this.

Shawn, thanks again bro. Got enough shafting to last a while. It was great to see you out and about, too. Anytime you wanna do it again, I am there. I live waaaaaaay to close to ya' to just meet up for the JLMBH...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
i think i know which type of bush ur talkin bout but around here ive seen so many types of bushes thatll poke ya i dont know exactly which on yall get ur shafts from. if someone could be kind enough to post a pic of a plant that has them id appreciate it. i have plenty of thorn bushes around me its just figuring out which ones to tangle with is where im having trouble.

thanks,
steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Multi-flora rose, Chris had a pic. Don't let him kid ya he shot very well. He has come a long way since I first met him!! I had a great time and yes we will be meeting up again real soon. We have to get his lil' bro a turkey or better yet the two of them a turkey!! I feel better than I look in that last pic.! (lol!!) Thanks for the pics. bud!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I think this one somebody took of briarback mountain is a much better shot of multiflora rose (wild rose).

Some serious talons on that stuff...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
thanks for the pic. we got tons of that suff al around me. we end up mowin over it every year with the brush hog so i gess ill have to cut a few before i brush hog. is there a cirtin time of year thats best to pick them?

steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
My guess is mid to late april when the fresh stuff has been growing a while. I am waitin to see how the shafts come out! Chris ya got one of the stuff we cut? Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I just check...looked like I didn't get a picture of any of the actual bushes. Should've done that...

BTW, Shawn, if you get any that smell like a cross between apples & wintergreen when ya' peel 'em, that's that dogwood we cut. Between that and the lack of thorns, another way to tell the difference is that the dogwood bark really clings to a blade when you're removing it. Really a wet & gummy bark...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I have some really long and straight rose bushes in the back yard needing trimming. I'll cut them Chris if you tell me what to do next. I have to cut them anyway.

Looks like you guys had fun. I was gonna go stump shooting ended up seeing about 30 deer and tracking my lost dog several miles before I finally found him Lost scared and shivering.  We are one happy family again.

Did ya guys happen to find my pruners?   :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
That's a beautiful bow, Shawn, and the pic shows that you are using every inch of curl it can give you.

Nice of you two to go out and prune the roses. It really encourages future growth!   :D
Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Good times fellas!

Shawn Leonard-aka-"The Incredible Shrinking Man"

Great to see you guys yesterday.  Cade is still talking about the "Shawn stories"    :eek:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Good deal guys.

Never thought about the shrinkage.Will have to remember that next I'm collecting.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Yup, we had a good time and yes Kathy I draw her 29"s but it is smooth to 30 and only a 54"er. Love my Arroyo!! We figured we can always use more wild rose, bunnies need love too!   :smileystooges:    :bigsmyl:   Shawn
Shawn

Offline HugeBull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Harvest MF Rose?  Heck, I kill it!  There is a reason I call it MF!  Besides, MFR is an invasive exotic plant in the US.  So it is not as primative as we might think, but an import from the Orient, likely by "European Americans."  I am quite sure that the indigenous peoples of North America did not use it!  But, if it makes good arrows, knock yourself out.  Me, I'll still Round-up it!

Hugh

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Shawn,
Glad to see you up & shooting. Get that form back before the Muzzy. I want a rematch after that 8-0 stomping you gave me a year& a half ago. Chris is a great guy & good for you two getting out there and enjoying the day.
Dan

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by HugeBull:
Harvest MF Rose?  Heck, I kill it!  There is a reason I call it MF!  Besides, MFR is an invasive exotic plant in the US.  So it is not as primative as we might think, but an import from the Orient, likely by "European Americans."  I am quite sure that the indigenous peoples of North America did not use it!  But, if it makes good arrows, knock yourself out.  Me, I'll still Round-up it!

Hugh
That stuff has the ability to reach out and grab you and nearly pull you off a tractor seat.One of the invasive plants I love to hate along with kudzu,Japanese knotweed,nodding thistle,etc.I think at one time that multiflora rose was planted to use as a fence by early settlers.I can understand why as I dont see how anything gets through it.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Junglecat, that is how we got it around here. A farmer by the name of Mead planted it as a natural fence in the mid 1800s and the birds spread it all over. We believe that is why we have so many bunnies, nothin(fox,hawks,yotes)can get thru it and it provides them bunnies great cover! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
As a positive side effect; Shawn can go through every spring and collect all the tattered clothing hanging from the Rose bushes left behind by February bunny hunters and make a quilt.   :laughing:    :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Charlie, I think you need some  :help:  ..... See Ya Soon!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
ttt for Shawn.

Hey Shawn,
After a few straightening sessions, about 5 culled shoots, and a few glasses of liquid courage to help stay focused on the task, these are my last bundle.

They are actually the WORST of the shafts we gathered. Those with the most character. Still have a ways to go, but still, these are certainly getting there. Amazing what a little heat and pressure will do...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©