3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would you.............if?  (Read 407 times)

Offline OrTrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Would you.............if?
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
If you were suddenly unable to follow a blood trail, would you still hunt big game animals? I am faced with that reality, being red/green color blind.  My true love is here with you guys, but since most of my hunting requires hiking in miles and most guys my age have dropped out, I seem to hunt mostly alone any more. Without help to track (Oregon doesn't allow a dog in the field period) it literally has become an ethics issue for me. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem?
Howatt Hunter #55
Bear Kodiac Magnum #72
Samick #60

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would you.............if?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
if your colorblind the blood will still show up as a neon looking green for you standing out severely against the forest floor, ahhhh technology!
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »
I too am red/green color blind.. I usually get my hunting partners to help on the tough blood trails. But if hunting solo I try and pay very close attention to which side or if both the animal is bleeding from and the exact location it ran...Very nice country were you are....I will be there in sept to chase elk with my uncle..Just on the other side of the state line in washington.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
Don't let it stop you, mate! Where there's a will, there's a way. All the best!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
No!! There is a solution to most problems and I have heard of the top 2 resolutions to the problem already, friends or technology!! Don't let this stop you from something you love doing! If all else fails spine shots then finish them off, just kiddin of course but I guess it would work.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Don't let it stop you enjoying the things you do. There is ALWAYS a way!   :readit:    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline arrowflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Where there's a will there's a (ethical )way.Do what we all need to be doing all the time anyway.That is ,limit yourself to only high kill percentage,close range shots.Continue to do what you enjoy.Just practice restraint.
We are all tied by a bond of the love of archery.Enjoy,promote,and respect the gift.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Don't let it stop you hunting. JohnnyWayne gave you the site, I have you a gerber tracking light and it works. Keep Hunting
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
I too am red/green color blind.  The lights and different things that are supposed to enable you to see blood, don't work for me at all.   The peroxide sprays, they do foam, but it is not realistic to use.  A man cant carry that much with him on a hunt.

Now, that being said, I do think that if you let your being color blind stop you from hunting that you are letting one of life's many obsticles whip you.  I go and hunt on my own.  I kill deer by myself and track them.  We may not be able to see the blood on the ground, but we can see it once we have it on our hands.  I have crawled on my hands and knees a long long way touching everyting that looked wet.  If it is blood you will be able to tell.  

I make sure to watch where the animal left and mark a tree that they pass.  I don't go to the spot I shot them to find blood because sometimes it take a few hops to get it leaking good.  I go to the tree where they passed about 20 yards from where I shot and start my search.  Touch everything that looks wet.  I follow the leaves where they run.  Many times you can tell an injured deer track from a scared deer track if you look good.  An injured deer will run stiff legged most of the time.  Make sure to focus you search on the right trails.  

It ain't easy, but you CAN do it.  NEVER GIVE UP!

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
I have a couple friends that are color blind they have called me a few times to assist with tracking jobs, but in most cases they have pretty good luck blood trailing. Don't let it stop you from enjoying the hunt, someone is always willing to help do some blood trailing and tracking. I enjoy helping and sharing in the success of others.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Have you ever tried Peroxide?  Take a spray bottle, small will do, fill with Peroxide and water.  I use about 40 %-60% myself.  It will work and even of a day or so old trail.  Just mist the mixture around and when it comes in contact with the blood, there you have it.  It will go a long way, don't have to use a lot.  It works just as it does when you put it on a cut.  Give it a try, cheep and very effective. I have used it for years and it will do the job.  Like bornagainbowhunter said, it will foam up and if you mix it up it will last a very long time while tracking a deer or what every your game is.  JMHO   Oh yes, the commercial sprays are just to high and don't last long at all.
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Follow your desires or emptyness may follow you.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
My Dad had a mild stroke 10 years ago. He was unable to totally control some hand tools after that, due to the lack of sensation in his hand, though he's learned to adapt. He used to get very frustrated about it until the day I told him that sometimes, you have to ask for help and not be too proud to accept it. Don't be afraid to get some tracking help. You may enjoy the companionship!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Unenviable decision? Blood froth spray (Hydrogen peroxide) helps. My bet is you'll discover a good way. Don't Quit! Hope to hunt elk there this year in Tilamook. Hookup if you want. You shoot it, I'll find it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Some fellows with perfectly good color perception are "blinded" by hurry and doubt. But not you. Sounds look you have the "want to" and ethics required to be a solid bowhunter.

1. Most of the animals I've bow killed required no blood trailing. They went down in sight or sound.

2. Of course you must be ready to follow or have followed, a blood trail on the occassion it is needed. The hardware-bought peroxide and you dilute plus a good friend or two, sound like good alternatives for you.

Lot's of men have difficulty with these colors.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
I'm also red/green color blind.  I agree that it can be very challenging.  I look for the shine from the blood and also pick up a lot of questionable looking leaves to get a closer look.  It's a slow process but can be done, don't give up what you really enjoy.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
If the only objective were to kill an animal we'd all be using a rifle.  Find a way to do the best you can with what you have and enjoy the journey!  I have zero depth perception; just limits how far I can shoot.  Solution: get closer.  Seems like some of the technology mentioned above might be worth looking into.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
String tracker?
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Some fellows with perfectly good color perception are "blinded" by hurry and doubt. But not you. Sounds look you have the "want to" and ethics required to be a solid bowhunter.
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
Don't let it stop you, mate! Where there's a will, there's a way. All the best!
These two responses sum it all up perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

It's obvious that because of the struggle that exists for you with this decision in the first place, that ethics will always be prevelant in your hunts.

I say, stay at it! Don't quit! You'll find a way not only to overcome this obstacle, but to continue doing it ethically.
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©