3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barry Wensel charged by hogs ! pig gig #5  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barry Wensel charged by hogs ! pig gig #5
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Glad to hear Barry wasn't bleeding.  I hope UB heals fast and watches out for those piggies.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Glad your alright Barry! I had me a good chuckle on your behalf though. Sorry!  :D  

Jason

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Obviously my first question to UB was, "How is your bow?"

The TT came thru with nary a scratch.  Brian not only builds them beautiful, they are   TOUGH.     :thumbsup:

He told me that bow saved his life...seriously!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Whip where are you? Barry steal your thunder?

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Great adventure. I am sure there are memories that you will never forget and thoughts we should never forget.

Hope you recover in short order.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I hope I'm as tough as Uncle Barry when I'm older than Strom Thurmand.  Great stuff and glad you're on the mend.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Oh Man Thats some crazy stuff right there, and puts some shaking in my boots as I'm going to TX next week!  I can Go on and on about a bunch of things said in that story Like why you have tweezers and eyeliner in your front pocket!  But picturing you treed By a hog, had me laughing pretty hard (oh! the mental images). Good stuff right there too bad the camera wasnt rolling!  Well heal up my good man, take care of that arm!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Pretty hard to top that story!  I mean come on, how much would you have paid to see UB shiney up a tree with hog at his heels?  That must put a strain on the lumber!  

I'm not quite sure what he was thinking when he thought that two little 4" trees would hide his final approach on that wounded sow.  Somehow I'm guessing she could see just a little bit sticking out on each side  :rolleyes:  

As always, a week in Texas with the twins is quite a treat, and I had a great time.  Pics are uploading now.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
"I'll never forget it the rest of my life. My only regret is it would have made great video footage... twice."  

Uncle Barry, I knew you were going to say something along those lines before I even finished reading the story!  Glad you made it out O.K.!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
The terrain on the Lambshead Ranch is varied, but most of what I hunted consisted of river bottoms.  I sit in treestands all fall, and I really like a chance to spot and stalk when I have a chance.  This country is perfect for it.

Hog sign was abundant - you would think there must be hogs around every bend when looking at sign like this.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
The ranch is full of history, and the work that went into the stone structures and fences boggles the mind.  It was so cool to wander around on a property like this and imagine what life was like back in the day.

Bernie heads for an evening stand.

The top of this old tree was about 20 feet off the ground - a prickly pear thought it made for a good nest.

Nothing better to a butterfly on a cool sunny morning than a nice warm pile of poop!

Deer were everywhere.  I did find a few small sheds, and many of the hunters reported seeing bucks still carrying antlers from this past fall.

Speaking of poop, this was an interesting turkey toilet.  The limb directly above obviously was a very comfortable place to roost.  I've never seen a pile of droppings so concentrated in one spot like this.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Barry,

It's in the cards for you to lead an animated life.

A little like the coyote roadrunner show.  

Glad your not hurt any worse.  What's next?  

Thanks for sharing the story.  

I'm sure you will be able to use this example to clue future hunters in about handling situations with wounded hogs.

Take er easy for a couple days...........?
LPM

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Barry - I hope you get through this quickly. Those cactus spines have a way of working themselves out a little too slowly.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Day three found me back to a spot that PV had introduced to me last year.  He named it the golf course, with the front nine and the back nine consisting of big open flats along the river tucked up against a steep rocky hillside.

As I worked my way between the front and back I spotted hogs ahead.  Two sows accompanied by a bevy of piglets were rooting busily in the grass of an opening.  The crest of a small knoll hid my approach, and within minutes I eased up within shooting range.  The young hogs seemed to belong to the biggest sow, and in any case looked to be big enough to survive just fine on their own.  

The smaller of the two sows was a little further than I like, but after yesterdays episode of Failure to Launch Syndrome I eased the string back to anchor and when it felt right the arrow flashed across the 22 yards between us and disappeared through her side.

She ran about 10 yards and then stopped, looked around like she was trying to figure out what had just happened, and then tipped over.  just like that.  Unlike Barry's hog, this one went nowhere, and it was over so fast I couldn't believe it.  But I was a happy camper, and this one would make fine eating.

I had just recently completed refinishing an old Damon Howatt Super Diablo for myself.  I think I have found a new favorite hunting bow.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
best wishes for a speedy recovery
Arrow_Flynn

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Glad the TT is ok.  From what I saw in Waterloo, those bows are way too pretty to fight   ;)
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Beautiful bow Whip!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Congrats Whip!

That is a great pig. Glad to see you connect again!

I don't think it is a coincidence that when you hang around me for a day or two you shoot a hog.  So the next time you want to go pig hunting I think it would be wise to come by my house and pick me up and take me with you.  I'm sure you would be even more successful if I was actually in camp with you!    :)  

Great shooting.  I like that pull over and the bow.  Both pretty sharp!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
I hunted with Barry and Gene last year in Texas. On the third day just before dark, I shot a large black boar that ran into some very thick stuff. I waited until the next morning to look for him. Having been charged by a wounded javalina some years earlier and had heard how a wounded hog might charge, I holstered my Glock 45 and stopped by to ask Barry and Gene if there was any reason I could not look for it with a sidearm just in case. They probably thought I was being over cautious but said to go ahead.

Barry,  Hope you heal up with no ongoing problems. NEXT TIME TAKE YOUR 45!!!!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Glad he's OK.....I hope someone got it on tape! LOL!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©