3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've gone over to the Dark Side  (Read 1217 times)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
I've gone over to the Dark Side
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
No not compounds,but some would say just as bad.

I am selling my last two expensive,custom wood riser bows.Soon all I will have is metal risers.It started a couple months ago with the Dalaa. I can't get around the benefits for me of these bows compaired to my wodden risers.

Soon I will only own a Dalaa,a 21 in.DAS Elite and a 3 piece ACS CX with a metal riser.I am a little sad but not too much.  ;)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've gone over to the Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Whatever makes yer teakettle whistle, RHC. Just enjoy your shooting.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Those metal riser are nice and with ILF limbs you can have any weight and length you want almost without buying a hole new bow.......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
As good as you are shooting the Dalaa, I would'nt think you will be sad for long!

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
shoot what you want be happy

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
That's not surprising. I see you're a carpenter. Grass is always greener on the other side, effect, I guess.    :bigsmyl:  

Wood is wonderful! But I have no problem with what you choose to experiment with.   :archer:  

Seriously, enjoy the flight of your arrow.
I thought this thread was going to be about the Bob Lee 'Dark Archer.'  :confused:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I am a one piece wood riser bow guy. That is just what I like. But it does rub me wrong  when folks get rude about about another persons likes and preferences in a bow. I don't see a dark side to it, the limbs have nocks and string grooves on the end, just like everyone elses. Good enough for me. Hope you enjoy them.

Steve

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Never shot one of the metal risered trad bows. Glad you are enjoying it.  :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Whatever your happy shooting is good with me.   Got a good buddy that switched to a compound this year because of his shoulder.  Still a pretty good buddy.

I've got a 1974 metal riser Black Widow if your interested 49#@28.  Send me an PM if interested.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys,The dark side part was my attempt at humor. I love pretty wood but being able to pick up the phone and have a world class set of limbs in a few days at half the cost of a custom bowyers price is nice.Then there is the ability to shoot as low as 6 grn. per lb. for 3D.I am talking 220 fps+ at longer draws.Did I mention adjusting tiller for split or three under. Short or long draw guys can adjust preload on the limbs to get the most speed and stability at their draw.

If you haven't tried one of these bows you should but make sure someone can help you set it up to fit your draw.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
My only problems with metal risers are weight and cold to touch in winter.  But I still used them when I had a compound.  So I see wood as a new option I didn't have when shooting wheelies.  It's not a contest, just shoot whatever you enjoy shooting.

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Whatever works for you,have fun and be happy.
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
the one thing I have learned so far in archery, is that the finer details don't matter as long as it had a stick and a string that wont break, and something that goes straight.

that said, I want a Gamemaster II.... bad  :(

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
I have to admit.....I've considered it myself!!!!!   :rolleyes:

Back in the 1970's.....We all hunted with recurves with elevated rests and aluminium arrows with plastic vanes.....

I was thinking a metal riser takedown recurve,detatchable Kwikee Kwiver,elevated rest,shooting carbons with plastic vanes.....   :scared:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Well you sure picked some good bows to cross over with!  :thumbsup:  This stuff is supposed to be fun and picking stuff apart and worrying about the other guys bow takes the fun right out of it.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I'm with James, I never met a bow I didn't like.

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I think everyone on this site should get a pat on the back. I don't know how much any of you visit a certain other traditional site but this subject would have had people ready to choke each other till blue. I think this sight has a great bunch of people that are just genuinely interested in archery and helping each other have fun and enjoy the sport. Oh, I almost forgot and made a mistake, you can't call it a sport on the other sight. Well, I think you all know what I mean so give yourselfs all a hearty pat on the back and keep smiling and enjoying flinging arrows with whatever turns your buttons. The guy that dies with the most bows wins!  Wingman

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
jwingman,I agree with you.I didn't expect anything less from the folks here.What you spoke of is the reason I don't post over there any more.

This is just a way for me to tell folks about some great shooting bows.

My best to everyone,
Randy

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
You're right about going a little into the dark side. When you were describing the adjustability and the ability to shoot very light arrows, made me think that your bow needs to be in a differant class as far as 3D goes. The only way I could compete would be to buy the same type of bow. Other than that, shoot what you want. I have no problem with that. Most of my friends shoot compounds, and I hunt with them. Including my son.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
I just watched Masters of the Barebow (for about the 4th time this week) and watched the creator of the DAS bows explain the bow and demonstrate shooting it. I have to admit, it shoots darn good. It wouldn't be for me. I like simple. I can confuse myself enough deciding on brace height, nock point, arrow length, etc. that goes with plain old recurves and longbows. I'd have to have my engineering major son come home to help me adjust my bow!

If they work for you and you can figure out all the adjustments, have fun with it. That is what the sport is all about.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©