3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've gone over to the Dark Side  (Read 1218 times)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've gone over to the Dark Side
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Guys,accuracy is all about getting a bow that fits you and getting it tuned.I could do that with other bows.It might take trading a few bows first and a lot of arrow tuning.What makes the DAS bows better for me is that it is easier to tune and can be set up to perfectly fit my style of shooting.That makes things simpler not more complicated.The beauty is that it can be set up to fit anyone.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Well people tend to think the DAS bows and such are complicated.Really that is very far from the truth.They are just bows and can be shot like any other bow.You never have to turn a screw or adjust anything if you don't want to.They just have those options in case you want to.True some guys do take full advantage of those features but it is certainly not something anyone would ever have to do. Reading about some of it can be confusing for many but it is not. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
Shoot Randy--I've seen you bust clay pidgeons one after another (not thrown folks--he's good, but not quite that good yet) with a "cheap" wood bow.  I have no doubt that with a little time you could shoot a broom stick strung up with bailing twine.  HOWEVER.........

As anyone that's been in this sport for any amount of time will tell you, 90% of it is mental.  When you are more confident in a particular piece of equipment, you will shoot it better.  

I've shot with a guy that, if you took said broomhandle and could convince him it was a particular brand bow, I believe he'd shoot it like a champ.  On the flip side, I think if you took the top-of-the-line of one of his chosen few, but convinced him it was something else, he'd have trouble hitting a barn from the inside.

Bottom line is accuracy isn't built into the bow--the monkey behind it is what makes the difference (or in your case, the ape behind the bow  :D  )  Sure, some are a little faster, some have less shock, some grips fit some people better, etc. etc. etc. but the biggest difference (in my opinion, of course) is the archer.  

Give yourself some credit bro--you are just a dang good shot and have gift.  Get a little more tournament experience under your belt, learn to loose the pressure and just have a good time, and you'll be the one they are talking about having to beat.

Chad

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
Carpenters used to use hammers with wood handles, too, didn't they? Have fun...
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
Haa, the force is great on the dark side      :help:    :)    :)
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Alsea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Woodduck:
Carpenters used to use hammers with wood handles, too, didn't they? Have fun...
Right on!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
No dark side for me, if I won one I'd sell it at a discount and go for that cocobolo and...Even when I had a compound I went with the wood riser!   :)   That's a huge part of the appeal for me, admiring the wood grain and the craftsmanship, etc. I'm not convinced the Daa is inherently more accurate but even if it was-I am a bowhunter and my animals taken with my wood riser are just as dead. I don't care if I lose at 3D. To each his own though. Enjoy!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
To me, I find that the prettiest risers are the ones that produce the best shots.  The better it shoots for me, the prettier it gets.  Of late, the prettiest ones I have are metal.

:thumbsup:  

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
I have only shot one metal riser bow...an old Bear TD...and it was a dandy. Since then, I've bought an old 56" Bear TD with a magnesium riser and when I get a new string for it, I'll officially be a member of the metal riser shooters club.  That said, I LOVE my wood riser bows!  There is just something about the warmth and lustre of real wood that adds to my enjoyment of tradtional bowhunting.  Plus, I like knowing that I'm holding a piece of artistry in my hands...something that someone built with their energy, talent, and passion for bows.  
But as others have said, whatever works for you...go for it.  The most important thing is to enjoy the sport!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Dark Side? ...  What Dark Side? ...  I was told I went over to the Dark Side when my wife got me a Black Widow ... Then told the same when I started using carbon arrows ... There was a time when I thought one bow was enough ... NOT NO MORE ... Guess I fell off the Deep End ...  :eek:  ...

Enjoy The Life The Creator Gave You With All The Toys At Hand ... Cause you can't take them with you when He calls ...

... mike ...  :)  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Don't you find them heavy? My Hill is as light as a feather.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
One and only one thing matters, just what your happy with. Can't say weather one is better than the other and I own both styles, like both styles. I'm in awe of the woods though. Pretty is pretty in the eyes of the beholder. And preferance is preferance!

Brent

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Stone knife, they are heavy compared to a longbow, but mass weight in a riser is not always a bad thing...truth is many of the three pcs bows, longbows or recurves, that have dymond wood risers (and some that don't) are heavier than my DAS. And you don't have to shoot off an elevated rest to reap some of the benefits of a metal risered bow, the limbs are exceptionally stable, and the lack of vibration is a blessing to those with bad elbows.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Pinecone, I know what you mean about the artistry, energy and talent an individual puts into their bows, here's pics of three different gentlemens work, and I see it in all three.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Randy, I sent you an email yesterday, look at your inbox
John
John

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Want to start a heated discussion? Tell a guy in a tradtional bowhunter camp that a metal handled bow shooting carbon arrows is not traditional.  LOL
I had a lot of fun after saying this in BC last month. This is not bashing, it is making a point about the quest for advantage. Center shot tuneable flipper adjustable wizbang rests. Space shuttle composite wrapped shafts, laser range finders? One guy in camp actually used a finder on bears. Does one really need to rangefind a bear at 20 steps? Maybe if he is a gap shooter.
All I can say is enjoy your bows, practice and become proficient with them. Take game cleanly and quickly.
Ishi, Dr. Pope and Chief Compton didn't use metal bows or wrapped shafts. Challenge is a good thing, so is practice. Maurice Thompson said "there is no excellence in Archery without great labor".
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
jwingman,

I thought perhaps that "pat-on-the-back" came a bit too soon.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
JDS3,I don't use a range finder but I am a gap shooter.I use what works for me and so should everyone else.I have no problem with what anyone else shoots as long as they shoot it well.I have personally seen too many guys use too many excuses when they couldn't hit a 3D target at 20 yards.

I don't know much about Pope,Compton,or Ishi,but I bet they used the best they had at the time.Did Ishi make a bow from the worst piece of wood he could find?

What makes this sport great is the challenge.Some accept that challenge as being able to take game the same way their ancestors did,with primitive equipment.Some just want to shoot with simple nostalgic equipment.Some challenge themselves to shoot small targets at long range without sights or cams.

I agree totally with the Quote by Maurice Thompson.I think it is true if said about the man that made his own bow and arrows and learned the skill to get close enough to the animal to make a clean kill.However it is also true of the olympic archer who spent that labor tuning his equipment and shooting 25,000 arrows a year so he could hit a grapefruit size spot at 80 yards.  

To each his own enjoyment
Randy Clark

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Crowdog:
..... the vibrations that you will feel in a wooden riser bow after shooting a metal riser bow is unreal. No matter how  heavy of an arrow you shoot....
From my perspective shooting an ACS CX, I wouldn't say that ALL wood riser bows are like that. Maybe a generalized comparison is fitting, but not applicable to all of them.

JDS3, or better yet.... tell a guy (or gal) here on this forum that a center shot bow, or flipper rest, or carbon arrows "aren't traditional", LOL.

"Ishi, Dr. Pope and Chief Compton didn't use metal bows or wrapped shafts."

And your point? I don't believe the challenge is gone and practice is not needed, when shooting modern equipment.... if in fact that was your point.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
Man, those metal things surely are ugly   :scared:    :scared:    :scared:    :)
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©