3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Travel Channel Show The Wild Within  (Read 370 times)

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
Travel Channel Show The Wild Within
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I just watched a very cool show on the Travel Channel called The Wild Within. To make a long story short. Steven Rinella goes to South America and hooks up with an Indian tribe. And goes down a river to bow fish and hunt. Well he brings his Compound Bow. He could not hit much with it so the Indian gave him his homemade longbow. And he really couldn't hit anything then. After making some heavier arrows and making some new points all by hand with a file in the jungle. He finally got his first fish. It was a really cool show. Showing how thinks were made out in the wild by hand.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Travel Channel Show The Wild Within
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
He does hunt with a stickbow at times. Very cool show as it reveals a lot of history as well as beautiful country.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
It is a fun show to watch.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I loved that bow the tribesman used.
It was funny that they mentioned a metal file is one of the most valuable things and that Steve mentioned that hesmthrown away many because they have become rusted.
Think of how many things we've discarded that would be jewels to people of that culture.Veru cool show
Slickhead

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I did enjoy watching this episode. Finally caught a differant one. All I've seen is the first episode over and over again.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Yep great show
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Great show but I was displeased with that shot at the swimming animal...You could tell he was heart broken and looking at the shot he had I wouldn't say I wouldn't have taken it because I wasn't there but what was really impressive was the tracking job those brothers did...Just listening and watching that part alone made the show for me...I was glad that he was truthful that he made a bad call on a shot he had no business attempting and I understand it can happen in the heat of the moment...It was better to hear him admit I made a horrible shot as opposed to the other crap out there of "I hit him a little back" Where I'm from a little back is liver not gut...sorry my 2cent from those other shows....Steve is okay for a city slicker in my book looking forward to the Texas show this Sunday!!!
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I think the show is unique in the fact that he explains why he hunts. He attepmts to explain the primal draw that most all of us feel when we are connected to the animals we hunt and the enviroment they live in.
I know it is TV and anything can be edited to show only the glory parts of the hunt. But it is refreshing to see a show that not only shows the glory but also shows the processing and utilization of the animal for food and the efforts and lengths that were gone to, not only to take the animal, but to honor and respect that animal even in its death.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
It is the only show on TV where you see him (host) actually field dressing the critters I think.    The show is all about how society is detached from the procurement of their own food, and he "reconnects" them to that process, and the satisfaction that comes with it, as well as showing the connection to nature and the land.  

All in all, it blows away many of the "depictions" of hunting we see on the outdoor channel and similar venues.   Even with all the critical analysis that can be made about TV and editing, and especially given the audience of the Travel Channel, this is one of the best outdoor shows out there.  

And he may be a city boy now, but he did live in MT as a boy, and references the upbringing that his dad instilled in him and his brother....who often shares the episodes with him.   I give the show   :thumbsup:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Mark, did you see the bison show? He did some knife work on the bison and made a hide boat to get across the Yellowstone River I think it was.  Ill have to buy the box set when it comes out.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I saw part of that one....I believe he was in the Missouri river breaks, reliving Lewis and Clark stuff.    Is that the one where he found part of a discarded antelope carcass while hunting with his brother, and they ended up eating what they scavanged from it?
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I have enjoyed all of them so far.  Even teh one in San Fransisco, where he served up some road kill coon to his friends.  He does a good job of describing why he hunts and his need to use the animal properly.  The big piece for me is the fact that it is on the travel channel.  Not the audience you would picture for the show.  I think he does a great job of representing hunting to the non hunter.  Did you see the Hawaii show where he stabbed the pig.  Not your average cable viewing, though a lot less violent than many main stream show.  And I thought he grew up in MI
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I like that the show isn't bombarded by advertisements for sponsors and all that other crap.  I love to hunt, travel, and cook.  My kind of show.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
My favorite hunting show by far!  I enjoyed the moose hunt in British Columbia where he had to earn the guides help by trapping beaver.  When he did get a moose he never mentioned the antler size or score.  Just honored the animal and then went on showing all the work involved and trying to protect it from predators.  Also shows that weapon used is not the determining factor in whether or not a person is hunting for the right reasons.  As I remember he is from Michigan.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Great show.  It's nice to see an articulate outdoorsman on TV for a change.  I really like how he focuses the dialogue on reconnecting to our heritage and food through participation in the circle of life.  Politely puts a spotlight on the hypocricy of supporting proxy killing but not hunting - i.e. being ok with paying someone else to do you killing for you (supermarket) but being anti-hunting.

I also liked the episode in San Francisco where he cooked a meal for a bunch of his urban dwelling friends using only things he hunted/gathered within city limits.  Main course was a coon (roadkill) roast.  Funny stuff.

Maineac, he did grow up in MI.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
He did come from MI too.....but I'm sure I heard, saw, or read somewhere about his living in Miles City, MT as a youngster.   Oh well, Michigan is a great place to learn about the outdoors as well.   I know thats where I got my start!

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Someone on here turned me onto this show in the thread about terrible shows these days.  I have really enjoyed it.  My wife watches it with me and my buddie's girlfriend loves watching it with him too.  I enjoy hunting with a trad bow but it's not the guns that I dislike about so many shows these days, it's the guys shooting them.  I really enjoy his approach and respect for nature and the animals he hunts.  I would also throw in a plug for backland country, also a good show with similar values.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I think it may be the best pro-hunting show out there. One of very few shows that non-hunters may watch and enjoy.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline OP-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I have stopped watching all the "Outdoor Channel" infomercials.  I truly enjoy his approach and realistic explanitions on why he hunts and his usage of the animal.  It is refreshing to see a show where the hunter is introspective after the kill instead of "high fiving and chest bumping" everyone in five counties.
IMO SGT. Bradley S. Crose,
USA, 1/75  
Lest we Forget.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
It's the only show I've seen where the hunter actually field dresses and cuts up the game he kills.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©