3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny carbons vs regular carbon  (Read 532 times)

Offline graybark uk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny carbons vs regular carbon
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
i use c`x "edge"hunters ( about the same size as mfx`s ) & they penetrate live game better than the heratage shafts i used before ,the shame is they dont make them anymore   :banghead:
bowhunting isn`t a bloodsport. its in the blood

hoyt buffalo 55@28/ 56@28{border hex 6.5 limbs }
stalker coyote fxt 62" 52@28

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
The beman mfx tough as nails.Lost a few but never broke one.The skinny diameter puts the arrow closer to center which many say helps arrow flight.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
After useing several differnet shafts, I switched to these skinny tapering shafts called Airforce GT's.  These arrows fly better than any other shaft I have shot, but!!!!!!   They are expensive and they do not hold up. I broke many arrows. I have now switched back to the Arrowdynamic Trad Lites, which when outfitted with the brass insert and the G nock system, I found them to be the most durable shaft. When you pay a lot for a shaft, you want durability and they fly really well also. I do believe that the tapering shaft helps with penetration due to less drag as the arrow passes through. I like the skinny shaft concept, but I found that they just do not hold up as well. Just my 2 cents, but I have spent plenty figuring this out.
Also, I liked the flight and durability of the axis, but not to fond of the HIT insert.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Just shot both yesterday and my wider diameter/heavier carbons outpenetrated the skinny ones by about 3 inches.

All shot from same bow into straw bales.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
My experience has been that the skinny shafts are easier for me to tune.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks again for responding, I think I'm going to get the Bemans and give them a try. I'm sure I can sell them if I don't like them.

Rodney

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
Just shot both yesterday and my wider diameter/heavier carbons outpenetrated the skinny ones by about 3 inches.

All shot from same bow into straw bales.
If the arrows were the same weight the skinny shafts would penetrate deeper. All else being equal the skinny shafts have a slight edge, but it is slight.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
I have been shoting the Beman MFXs for a good while now and they are hard to beat in my opinion. They are very consistent in weight and spine as well apparently as I have never shot another carbon quite as well and I have tried a couple. They cost a few dollars more but to me are well worth it.
As far as "trad" goes, I'm still a newbie in many regards. That being said, I'm a big fan of my MFX's. They fly really well. I'd compare them to the carbons out of my compound...much better than the aluminums I was shooting out of my longbow.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
There was about 100 grain difference in the arrows.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Another vote for the Beman MFX shaft. They can really take a lot of abuse and after all the others are bent or broken, the Bemans are still flying like the day that I fletched them. Make sure that you buy some extra nocks, because they won't stand up to a field tip impacting them.  :)

Offline pruski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
i like the skinny ones also

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Another favoring the Bwman MFX Classics. With a 100 grain brass insert they are hard to beat!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I have to agree with RXhntr.  I tried some "skinny" shafts and just could not get friendly with them.  They did not seem to perform as well as my AD's ( Nitro Stingers and Trad Lites)  That being said, I am working on some PSE pro weave shafts.  We'll see

To each his own.  Get em flyin good with a sharp BH and everything else is moot....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
FMJ with brass HIT insert and 175 grain point comes to about 16%+ on a .400(weight about 540)  They seem to combine the best of both carbon and aluminum.  The jacket seems to make them slicker and tougher.  I had to try some since a good friend swears by them, and he's likely the best longbow shot I know and an extremely successful hunter.  Wanted to know what he saw in them.

I have enough cedar, aluminum, and carbon shafts to be able to have tuned arrows for nearly any bow I shoot in this lifetime.  So, I can't come to grips with changing to an arrow that's this expensive, especially since I want my stump shooting arrows to fly just like the others, and I can't spend $10 a piece for stumpers. There are a couple of other reasons, but they could be overcome if I got serious.

But they fly well out of a lot of bows & seem to uniformly outpenetrate heavier CX carbons when shot into my banded excelsior bales.  If all my other shafts/arrows disappeared tomorrow and I had to start all over....I'd go with FMJs!
Tom

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
The Beman MFX Classic 500's with the 75gr. brass insert broke off to 50grs. shoot best in my bow.
But not by much over the Big Jim's 3555 blems. Trying to decide if they are worth the price difference.

Found some MFX 500 Bone Collector shafts for a good price $80 doz. w/$6 shipping...but not a sponsor and I'm a little leery. I haven't shot the Bone Collectors and they don't come with the brass inserts..they are the same size and weight, but with the regular Hit insert.

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I've never used carfbons but is there any merit to try using as close to the same diameter of woods and aluminum if, like me, you want to use differnet type shafts without re-tuning? I use 11/32 and 2016's for my bows and they seem to fly the same without any chnged to tuning.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciate everyones opinion on this subject. I have some beman classics on the way so I guess I'll get some hands on experience with them.

Rodney

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I had a bit of an interesting experience out of my Treadway cut 1/8" before center. I have a couple MFX500's and they seem to be quieter, I'm wondering if the skinnier diameter makes a big difference in this bow cut before center?

Seems quieter than my GT3555's.. I may have to experiment some more.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Javi:
Not only do the skinny shafts like the Axis penetrate better, they also don't get pushed as much by the wind..
For me, this is the single most noticeable difference. If you hunt or shoot in open country they are a good choice.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Like a lot of guys here, I like the Beman MFX classics.  But you have shoot what flies the best out of your bow with you shooting it.  Don't forget about aluminum.  I shot an A&H ACS CX for 3 years and I shot it the best with Easton 1916's.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©