3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated shot placement on hogs  (Read 742 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
Elevated shot placement on hogs
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

I've been thinking a lot lately about shot placement on hogs from a stand after I lost a nice 150-170 boar recently.  I thought that I put a great shot on him, in line with the front leg very slight quarter away at about 8-9 yards, from a 12 foot stand.  I watched him run away from me for about 40 yards so I was certain I got a least 10" or more of penetration.  He still wasn't able to get the arrow out when I lost the trail 200 yards or more later.  Clearly not a great vital hit if he went that far.  In looking back I think I hit him too high, and with the slight quarter I probably only got one lung.  I have burned the images of the hog vitals into my mind but they are always perfectly broadside and from the ground.  From elevation a 1/2 up shot may actually be 2/3 up and I'm curious how much penetration is sufficient on a medium (150) to larger (250-300) boar to get both lungs from a elevated spot.  I realize there are many factors/variables involved but let's discuss.  I lack the computer savy to superimpose images with vitals on here but I know some of you can.  How about we try and get some pics of hogs from elevated shots and attempt to impose shot placements?  I know I would at least find the discussion helpful.  I've talked quite a bit with Terry and CK about this but lets make it a bigger discussion. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from some hog experts on this one.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated shot placement on hogs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
It is not easy to make a good shot from a stand on a Hog unless the animal is fairly far away, the shield gets in the way and you are likely to get just one lung. A Hog can go a month on one lung; the animal is best hunted from the ground in my opinion.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Bjorn, while I agree that hunting from the ground is ideal, there are times when I'm hunting from a stand and I'd like to be able to make a better shot when I am.  I know guys that hunt from stands and do it successfully, I guess I'm hoping to hear some of their thinking on the subject.  I also like hunting them at night and, call me stupid, but I like being off the ground when it's dark.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I'm heading out for hogs in a couple of weeks; let's hear some educated opinions. My one and only hog hunt, I hit a big boar too high from an elevated stand and got almost no penetration due to the shield, so I'm thinking seriously about staying on the ground for my next hunt.     :campfire:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Elevated shots at that close a range present very little margin for error.  Better you let him get 15 yards or so if you can.  You probably got only one lung.  My opinion though
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Texas, I don't blame you for wanting to be off the ground when it is dark-Hogs do become emboldened at night-what a rush!
Try to shoot lower and farther away to get better shot angle and lower your stand to three feet if you want to be off the ground-they can't jump very high. LOL!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Boy...I've killed a bunch from a stand....and the way I see it...there's no real difference in kill percentage from my perspective.  My kill ratio is probably about the same either way.  Heck, I've even killed a couple shooting uphill at them.

The only real difference in aiming at them is if they are real close to you at somewhat of a steep angle.  Most folks want to aim at them mid way up like a whitetail...but that is too high to start with.  Hogs are more barrel shaped and there's more underneath than you can see....so if they are close aim 1/3rd up instead of 1/2.

If you are worried about 'the shield'....a shield that will really hinder penetration on lighter weight bows....here again is your target area to completely miss the shield.....its not a big area either.

Click Here

So...if you want to hit the soft spot, its much easier from the ground, or having them out from your stand a bit and not having your stand real high.....however, there's not a lot of margin for error to completely miss the shield either way.

If you are 10 - 15 feet up and the hog is 15 yards away....you've still got a pretty good view of the entire body....its the steeper angles that hide more of what's underneath.  Course, I don't like steep angles on deer either.

If your set up will allow....and you are just after hogs....8-12 feet is good medicine.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Exactly what I was saying Terry, only you did it much better.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I agree, IMO, the best shot is from the ground. I’m by no means an expert on this, but my most successful hog shots have been from the ground at a quartering away animal. My point of aim is the armpit on the opposite side.

I shot a hog from a treestand almost three weeks ago. The stand was about 6’ off the ground and the hog stood about 6 yards away. I waited for the quartering away shot that has worked in the past and aimed for opposite side armpit. The arrow entered high and exited into the elbow (shattering it) on the opposite side. With that shot I got one lung and enough of his plumbing to put him down.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Wow Terry, thanks for showing us that. I had no idea the sheild on a hog was that hard? That sounded like plywood when you were thumping on it! I hope someday I get a chance to go after hogs, and I'll remember that........aim low.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
SEMO. .....all hog shields are not that hard or thick. ......you don't see many quite like that.  That one was almost 2 inches thick.....and I could see the shield from 75 yards away it was so defined.  He looked like he was toting saddlebags.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Or shoulder pads... I know you shoot heavy bows Terry... what poundage were you shooting?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Terry and I have talked a lot about the set up for a big pig.  I try to have a set up that will give me a chance if the big boy decides to show up.  The last two boars I shot with my set up were between 150-170 (what I would consider medium) but didn't appear to have massive shields, though I'm sure there was some.  I was very happy with the penetration and am certain that a well placed shot would have had enough to hit through the vitals.  I love it when I hit the soft spot behind the elbow but there are too many factors in the field to feel that I am always going to make that shot.  I want to be able to give myself the highest probability for success which I believe is above the front leg (which is likely through the shield).  

Does anybody have some pics from a stand?  I did a quick search online but didn't find anything very useful.  I think if we actually get a pic up of a hog from a 8-12 ft stand we can discuss placement easier.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I don't have any pics from a stand...but I've got an illustration that may help on the shape of hogs and the deception of perception you may have from a high stand at a steep angle....

Oh,...all my hogs have been shot with 60-70# Bows, and most all of them with 3 and 4 blade heads....and all of those were either pass throughs or jammed in the off shoulder...cept those 'shoot out' hogs at Solana this year that I slipped the arrows right by the cheek and entered inside the shoulder to the goodies.

This was copied from a thread I did earlier....

This might be a great opportunity to show some shot placement photos.  Ray and I discussed this on the way back, and by showing these pics someone may save themselves some grief.  It shows just how forward you can shoot a hog because of the front end bone structure.

Remember, this 300#er only ran 30 yards, and this shot did get both lungs and the heart......

This pic reveals that 'Bride of Horse Tail' was slightly quartering away. It also shows how far forward it exited without hitting any bone. This picture however is deceiving on how low on the body the shot placement was.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
This pic shows the true elevation on the body...and makes the shot 'low and tight'.

This is why when from a stand at a steep angle if you aim mid way up...you are too high to start with....hope this helps show what I mean by what all is hiding underneath.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Great information Terry. Thanks for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
I've only hit them from elevated tripods, and aimed low. One in the cervical spine and the other right through the boiler room. Were both shots excellent shots? Dunno, but that's where I was aiming. Lucky, maybe.

Shoot a high FOC arrow and enough bow while you are at it.

Hogs are not the Abrams tanks everyone makes them out to be, but bad shot placement certainly adds to the mystique.

Don't psych yourselves out guys......190# right at dark. 60# PLX with a 700+gr arrow tipped with a sharper than (BEEP!) Grizzly.

Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Terry, what do you think the width shoulder to shoulder is on a big pig like that?  Now how much more distance is there when at an angle and shooting through more of the body?

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I've taken a bunch from stands by feeders. Since they are eating corn I just wait until they are around 10 - 12 yards away if I can help it and then aim low on a broadside shot. When hunting hogs I am constantly telling myself to aim low and forward so it sticks in my head when the time comes. lol
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Same with mine, Mint.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic: