3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated shot placement on hogs  (Read 744 times)

Offline no nothing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated shot placement on hogs
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks very nice of you!
Mad Dog      60" #35@28"
Mad Dog      64" #50@28
Tomahawk     64" #55@28

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
[QB] High Point...if I read your post correct....you have killed a total of two hogs correct?

Two with the bow in 2010. We also hunt with, ahem, assault rifles, holosights and PVS Gen3 night vison monocles all night long on the 7000 ac ranch I hunt on. 36 killed this past Thurs-Sun. The count since mid 2010 is 273. We ATTEMPT to control the population by cheating with guns, yes. Most weekends.

I've seen arrows and most bullets imaginable go in and through hogs, looked for through thick stuff and recovered all but about 10.

I've also examined from the inside the hits on the large hogs and especially my two.

Tally of 50+ counting all methods used thus far in 2011, but yes only two with the bow, which are the only two worth mentioning.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I whole heartily agree about the two holes. I have experienced, and again I don’t have a whole bunch, if a hog doesn’t go down in sight or within 100 yards then the tracking job can get really difficult really fast in thick cover and recovering the animal will become darn near impossible if the animal isn’t bleeding good.

I shot a hog last year and got a great double lung, pass through hit and the boar went 135 yards before tipping over. The crazy part was he hardly bled because the fat and the beginnings of what would have been his shield sealed the wound shut tight. The blood spots I was finding were small (about 1/8” diameter) droplets and they were spaced quite a ways apart from one another. What I was finding more of then blood was a clear liquid, which I presume was saliva.

I too have to remind myself to shoot forward. I have a boar 3D target setup in some brush and it always looks like I’ve shot the animal in the neck when I shoot it, but when the arrows are pulled they are sticking right in the boiler room. After so much effort in conditioning ourselves to shoot the proper location on deer, the kill shot for hogs seems so unnatural.

This is a good thread. I’m enjoying it. I find hogs to be fascinating creatures to chase.   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I've posted before about texasboars.com, but their hog anatomy and "autopsy" videos are as good as I have seen. Watch them.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Hey Rob, best of luck!

I hope you are face to face with a hog so big, you feel "undergunned", but through your skill and preperation it all works out in the end!  :D  

Deer hunting is by far my favorite because of the mystique and honor, but there is no substitute for the smell of swine on the wind!

I just wanna` go huntin`!!!

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Just getting a chance to check back on this thread, loving it so far.  I'm dying to get a nice broadside pic from a stand or tripod on here to discuss.  I'll have to find one tomorrow though, if anyone has one please share!
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
Broadside to slightly quartering form 10' tripod:

Through the shoulder (removed) and into the spine:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
Lots of good advice here. Don't think about it too hard. Every hog I've killed has been from an elevated position.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
+2, as much fun as hunting whitetails if you ask me......

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Thanks all for the info,photos & the links.

Great stuff to prepare for my upcoming hunts
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
From a tree I shoot at the point of the "corner" the leg makes at the body on a broadside pig. I look about 4" above the point actually. If the hog is closer I shoot for the point.The angle changes and you can`t see the bottom of the pig and shooting at that point will get you there and its easier to shoot at a spot rather than black. May sound crazy but it works for me.I`ve never shot a lot of poundage and usually BIG two blades or a woodsman . I have killed some with a snuffer but was using very heavy arrows for the lbs I shoot.I`m betting 90% of the pigs lost by bowhunters were hit to high.RC

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
My hog stand this up comming season is all of 4 feet off the ground in the thickest dang cover I've ever seen. You've got to crawl into it on your belly for 15 feet! the shots will all be at less than 8 yards, and I have had 2 occasions now when the hogs have started to walk in on me while I am in there clearing some shooting lanes and doing some pruning! I am not looking to take a 200+ # boar (though i know they are there) just an 80-150# eater. Since the shots are so close and I am not 10+ feet off the ground is there anything I should be looking for or thinking of? Aside from banging a bow limb into a tree?

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
RC, could you explain your point of aim more?  I'm not quite sure I know exactly where you mean.  Are you shooting at the point were the leg meets the body, as in as low as you possibly could.  Or are you shooting 4" up from the bottom of the chest?  Thanks
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
Good photo highpoint! Click on it to enlarge... the arrow is approximately half way up the body and hit SPINE!

I shot two small hogs from elevated stands at less than 10 yards. Both shots were perfect "whitetail placement" - which I've since learned is much too high. The clean kill zone on a hog is not much large than a grapefruit and is low between the front legs.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lone Ranger:
My hog stand this up comming season is all of 4 feet off the ground in the thickest dang cover I've ever seen. You've got to crawl into it on your belly for 15 feet! the shots will all be at less than 8 yards, and I have had 2 occasions now when the hogs have started to walk in on me while I am in there clearing some shooting lanes and doing some pruning! I am not looking to take a 200+ # boar (though i know they are there) just an 80-150# eater. Since the shots are so close and I am not 10+ feet off the ground is there anything I should be looking for or thinking of? Aside from banging a bow limb into a tree?

L.R.
snakes...when you belly crawl  :)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
I shoot a little above the elbow on pigs. RC

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Study the anatomy photos of hogs and then

aim for where you want the arrow to come out then it'll die... all you got to do it hit that spot..

An old man told me that more than 50 years ago and it has never let me down, if I did my part.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
The angle changes and you can`t see the bottom of the pig  
Yep....that's what I was saying earlier...due to the barrel shape on steep angles.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©