3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing Limb savers  (Read 321 times)

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing Limb savers
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Need some advice on how to remove limb savers from a bow I just purchased.
Thanks
Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing Limb savers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Dave... I've got a pair on a bow I have and from the looks of them they'll be ruined if ya try to take them off.

Looks to me like a razorblade or utility knife blade used carefully is the ticket.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
why do you want to take em off?

but maybe acitone would work of it wouldt weaken the glue/finih...
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Bear,
     You can get them off without damaging the finish as long as the finish is sound. Get a fingernail or stiff piece of plastic under the edge of the base and lift steadily until it starts to peel loose.  Usually the adhesive will stay on the limbsaver. Adhesive that remains can be rubbed hard and it will roll up and come off.  To re-use them, call limbsaver and ask for some replacement adhesive disks.  Usually they just give them to you.  Roll the old adhesive off and clean the base with acetone.  Apply the new disks, and you're back in business.  I've done a few of these   :D  

David

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Thanks David
The bottom one is to close to the string groove.

Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
I read somewhere that you can use dental floss and work it back and forth under the limbsaver to get it off. I don't know if it works but it's worth a try.
"What is written on the scroll of Fate is not visible; but with a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in search of adventure"..... Saxton Pope

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
Bear,
  The string groove?? I think Sims says to put them high up on the limb but I have to wonder if anybody there actually shoots a stickbow.  Limbsavers work really well but you don't want them high on the working part of the limb.  I mount them so the bottom edge of the plastic base is aligned with the end of the fadeout.  In other words, on the very first working part of the limb.  They do a lot of good down there and they don't effect performance or the balance of the limbs.

David

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
David
I just got this bow and they were already on it. I will get in touch with Sims to get some new disk.
Thanks
Dave

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Dental floss lifted them right up.
Thanks everyone
Dave

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
A chainsaw should work too.  :eek:    :bigsmyl:

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I'll have to try the floss trick, thanks Drifter

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
I`ve had the limb savers pop off in really cold weather. So now I take off the glue that comes on them , and use barge cement.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©