3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Velcro In string grooves????  (Read 196 times)

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Velcro In string grooves????
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
Hey do you guys think that the fuzzy side of velcro is to thick to put on string grooves?? Thanks!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Velcro In string grooves????
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I've tried it but I prefer to use Bow Hush on the string,I feel it does a better job then velcro.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Works for me.............
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
It works great. Along with some string silencers you have a very quiet set up.

BUT

The velcro collects a lot of chaff- hitchhikers, grass seed tips, all manner of stuff that have any kind of catch profile.
I also had calf hair groove silencers. They worked the same, but did not catch anywhere near the chaff.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:02:00 AM »
Mole skin camo at wally world. Works great. I cut the paece that goes on the top limb a little longer, so if I want to hang the bow on a nail either at a 3d or while hunting I don't scratch the limb.

Offline Benchmade111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
A friend showed me how to wrap the string in wool. Cause he doesn't like gluing anything to his limbs. Will this do the same as the padding? I don't want to glue anything to my bow either. Sorry for the high jacking of your thread.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jmatt1957:

Mole skin camo at wally world. Works great. I cut the paece that goes on the top limb a little longer, so if I want to hang the bow on a nail either at a 3d or while hunting I don't scratch the limb.
I do the same thing (moleskin) on my 42# recurve and it makes shooting a light arrow grain wise, very quiet when used with yarn string puffs. Although the yarn over the string near the limb tips works to make the bow quieter, it makes me feel uneasy because if the string starts to fray underneath, you can't see it. I once owned a Belcher Longhorn hybrid longbow and the string started to fray there.

Shooting an expensive Blacktail or another custom bowyer's bow, I would hate to have the string snap under the yarn and have the limb break while I'm coming to or at full draw. I could get severely hurt, but in my mind should this happen, it takes over a year to get another Blacktail recurve.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
I tried the velcro under the string at the limb tips but like jhg said they do collect a lot of debris.  Also when I got into some thick briars while hunting the thorns actuallly got under the pads and started to peel them off.  I've sinced wrapped mine in bow hush.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I use it works for me.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Why fill the groves? They are there for a reason.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
With moleskin, it's not too thick so it does two jobs. It's thick enough to get rid of the string slap noise on the the limbs when shooting light arrows, but it's not too thick to cover up the string grooves. The grooves are easily seen when the moleskin is molded to the shape and depth of the grooves. After the arrow is released, the bowstring lays right in the grooves.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©