3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back quivers and Broadheads  (Read 378 times)

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
Back quivers and Broadheads
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
I am wondering how back quivers and broadheads work out. I imagine the broadhead either cutting/poking holes in the quiver or the broadhead getting caught on the other arrows in the quiver.

Is this a problem for anyone and how is it avoided?

Thanks,
Jethro
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back quivers and Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
Thick foam in the bottom of the quiver takes care of this. That and a double layer of thick leather below the foam.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:21:00 AM »
Just thick leather, and they're fine. Back quivers have been used for a long time. We use them very happily here.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »
Highly recommend a heavy leather BQ. Had a few problems w/BH's cutting lacings around the bottom. BH's can slide between the sides of the leather tube & the round bottom piece itself. Add leather or foam per above maybe w/enough glue to keep in place. Or, I could have sewn it tighter to start with.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
The bottom should be doubled up with at least an inner layer of 8 to 10 ounce leather. Foam like trhese guys said, or if you are a true traditional diehard, a peice of unshorn sheepkin glued down there. The thick wool keeps the heads from banging around, and keeps them off the bottom. I've been using the same backquiver I made from bison hide for about 15 years with the sheephide in it. No problems yet.
Buddy, its best to have a leather spacer in the bottom so that the stitching never comes in contact with the heads.  So you are lacing or sewing between three layers of leather, not just the tube and bottom. The heads then hit the leather, with the stitching safe inside it.
Backquivers arent for everyone, but I like them over any other.
This is the only pic I could find of it, in the upper left corner. Very simple, slim, light. Been all over hell and back with it.

David M. Conroy

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
I have had the blade slide between the tube part of the body and the bottom piece on laced quivers (not a problem on stitched bottoms), but I just cut a piece of carpet big enough to be snug in the bottom and never have a problem.  No issue cutting the sides of the quiver.  Now 3 blade heads could be more of an issue, but most back quiver guys I know use 2 blade heads.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
With my Steve Catts quiver I have not had any problems. It has a thick leather plug inside. With a homemade one a couple of years ago I had a woodsman cut through the lace and poke me in the love handle. That was quite a shock a 5:00 in the morning.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Heavy leather bottom and a foam plug. Works for me.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
2X,Heavy leather bottom and a foam plug. Works for me.
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
You can make a small leather sheath for  the broadhead also. There not hard to make, and they fall off in the quiver when you pull the arrow out most times. I have used these for years without no problem.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I've heard some guys put some dry oatmeal down there to quiet them up....could be a snack too.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I second the Steven Catts quivers. I had him make me up a special order quiver in 2009. For my "sit and ambush" style of hunting, I didn't want or need a typical big quiver capable of holding a dozen arrows. I had him make a back quiver for 3-5 arrows with a thick fleece lining so there's zero noise. I usually bring 3-4 arrows with broadheads.
The bottom of the quiver is so thick that no broadhead is going thru it, not even close.
 http://www.hidehandler.com/back_quivers.htm

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Yup, third on Catts.  Steve makes some bombproof stuff. Cant go wrong with any of his line.
David M. Conroy

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I put some sheepskin in the bottom if I'm using it with broadheads, bargain bin at Tandy always seems to have some.
I do not own a Catts but it's on my little list

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archer 1:
You can make a small leather sheath for  the broadhead also. There not hard to make, and they fall off in the quiver when you pull the arrow out most times. I have used these for years without no problem.
I have also been useing this method since 1971.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Third on the broadhead sheath,I like the added protection {for the BH and me}
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
With some of the hints in this thread, I am thinking the back quiver would be good for taking arrows out but maybe not so good for putting them back in.  

I have an old Shakespeare quiver with a slice in the side that I repaired.  It is just about the width of a Bear Razorhead!

RonP

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by portugeejn:
With some of the hints in this thread, I am thinking the back quiver would be good for taking arrows out but maybe not so good for putting them back in.  

I have an old Shakespeare quiver with a slice in the side that I repaired.  It is just about the width of a Bear Razorhead!

RonP
That's why I use a Cat Quiver.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Can someone post some pics of the broadhead sheaths?

Also, if you have, say 3 broadheads (not in foam) in your quiver, how do you stop them from getting caught on each other when you pull them out? I am thinking about sharp corners getting caught in the vented portion of other heads.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jethro21:
Can someone post some pics of the broadhead sheaths?

Also, if you have, say 3 broadheads (not in foam) in your quiver, how do you stop them from getting caught on each other when you pull them out? I am thinking about sharp corners getting caught in the vented portion of other heads.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Broadhead+Sheaths_i6098_baseitem.html
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©