3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Very SAD day.....  (Read 2712 times)

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Very SAD day.....
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
Indeed...Quite a sad day in fireman's world...the buck I've chased for at least 2 yrs now, (I have Cuddeback pics), was hit by a minivan last nite, at my uncle's farm, where I hunt....THE KING IS DEAD!!!!! I won't sleep a wink tonite!!! Ole' Split Tine walks no mo'....

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Very SAD day.....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Dang...sad end for a noble creature.  Better that he'd of died by a hunters hands, or of old age as a result of his craftiness.    What a beauty he was in life though!   I  know a  few I've chased that met their demise the same way.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
Definatly a very sad day.  Great pics for memories!
jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
Well Mr Fireman,  I am a police officer in a rural part of the midwest and I have seen a number of noble deer meet their maker at the hands of a vehicle.   It makes me sad every time.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Thats a Major Bummer!! Just think though, somewhere out there is "SON-Of-OL'-SPLIT-TINE" out there somewhere just waiting to Grow Up and Be Like Dad!!  :thumbsup:    :archer:  
 I bet that Mini-Van was Destroyed from Hitting that Monster Buck!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
rats.  what a bummer.  let's hope he made lots of sons for you!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Tissue please...

Offline BrianC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »
I just hate it when that happens.  I hate it when I get called to a car/deer accident and see a mangled deer on the side of the road.  I always think, "That could have been someone's first deer."
My dad feeds deer during the winter and we have a dandy buck hanging around, but he too is crossing a well traveled county road, making his rounds to the nieghbor's feeders.  He's been pretty elusive these last 2 years, during hunting season anyways.  I pray he doesn't meet his end by getting hit by a vehicle.

Brian
"Leave it better than you found it"

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
702, BrianC...no doubt, we see it alot here too. This is the 3rd nice buck killed on 20 hwy this season! 2 falls ago, my cuz got the rack from a mid 140's 8 pt, hit on the same stretch of road. At least I'll get a chance to measure Ole Split Tine's antlers....they popped off like sheds on impact I guess...!!! I'll be sure to take some pics!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
That's no way for such a magnificent beast to end it's days. Let's hope that what the others have said is true, and that he has sired some noble sons for you.
Graham

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
I really hate to see that happen. Here in Michigan we deal with a lot of car/deer accidents and I hate it every time that I see another dead one on the highway.

At least you get to see the antlers in person, lets see some pics of the them.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Brad that is just no way for a great buck like that to go. At least you had the opportunity to enjoy chasing him for awhile. The stuff of memories and legends Bud.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Only good thing is that he left his genes in this world.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Brad, I think next year you ought to have a couple of stands along the highway...

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
I know the feeling, I hunted a big nontypical buck for three years and the morning I figured I had him nailed, I HEARD him get hit by a car a couple hundred yards away as he was headed right for my stand.

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
That's just no-good!

They outa outlaw them mini-vans!!!!
LOL!

I'd expect that to make me very sick, but hopefully he produced some nice offspring.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
At least you had two years to chase him, many guys never get a chance to have a buck of his caliber where they hunt. The downfall of the nocturnal buck is the car too many times.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
That sucks!! I hate seein any critters gettin wasted that way even bunnies.The ones that really make me sad are ones like you discribed and the early spring spotted kind that never got a chance to grow.....very sad indeed
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I had that happen too.  I had just figured out the bedroom and thr rut was kicking on and while taking some meat into be ground, the butcher told me about this HUGE bodied deer that had been hit by a car "kinda over near where you hunt" and brought in by a cop.  It was a 4x4 but huge and very wide with an enormus body.

I pouted a bit, and went back to the same spot a coupld days later and arrowed a really nice nine pointer within 5 minutes of shooting light.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
They outa outlaw them mini-vans!!!!
I'm with you Highnoonhunter. At least put a limit on the vehicles driving down the road. It isn't that there are too many deer, there are too darn many people driving!! What a way for a beautiful trophy to die... Sorry Fireman.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©