3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buyin a Warf!  (Read 702 times)

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Buyin a Warf!
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Well after long hours of contemplating bows, I decided to buy myself a Warf from Mr.Warf himself, Mr.Bob Gordon.  

I chose this over a Martin Rebel, simply because of adjustability, accuracy, and owning a little bit of ILF history!

I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions about accesories or limbs for my Warf. I was eyeing the KAP carbons, but I am very open to suggestions!

P.S. I have limbsavers, do I need em'?
The wind messed me up, what were you thinking?

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buyin a Warf!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Welcome to a new world of archery enjoyment my friend.I think you made a great choice.

What riser are you having warfed?
What is your draw length?
Are you going to be shooting off a rest or the shelf?

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
I am going to have a Black Bear riser warfed, I have a drawlength that is just under 28 inches, and I am planning on using a rest.  

I am really excited!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
The Black bear will give you a quiet stable accurate bow.Get ready to blow a few nocks.

If I remember right a PSE Typhoon could be used at your draw also.It might be a tad faster.Ask Bob about the limb pad angles.You are going to want another one soon anyway.  :bigsmyl:  

Seriously though I think you made a great choice.

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
J,
    You'll like it, but it will ruin you! LOL  There are lots of good limbs.  The Kaps are good limbs at a very reasonable price.  The kaps have been replaced by the Winstorm which is almost the same limb.  Occasionally you can find an older set of used Hoyt foam core limbs that are really good.  Some of the mid priced Samick limbs are also good for the money.  One of the sleeper limbs is the Sabastion Flute foam/glass or foam/carbon limbs.

Have fun!

David

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
From how much I have talked to Bob, he seems like a really great guy, fast responces, answers my large amount of questions, and has really, a great deal.  

I have heard these bows do it all:
Target shoot, stump, bow-fish(mabe not with my new one!), hunt, and just plain shoot in the woods and have fun!

The more I talk the more excited I get!!

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
I have a proline recurve bow that is a metal riser. I was missing a part and Bob sent me one he had from warfing a proline compound. Great guy.

Congrats on the purchase.
Jason Lester

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
I have never looked back!  The shootability of the metal riser bows is what got me to hunting with a recurve exclusively.  I just shot them better than anything else that I tried.  The mass weight they have and the tunablity of the rests and plungers makes for an easy to shoot bow!  It only took me about 3 to 4 shots out of my first warf to know that there is something to these critters.  I was at a 3-D shoot a couple of weeks ago and let three friends try the DAS.  They all shot it with their own arrows, some carbon and some wood, two shot three under as I do and one shot split finger and ALL of them were consistently hitting the spot on the target, which was about 20 yards, from their first arrow on.

These bows will not make you a better shot, they are just easier to shoot IMO.

Good luck with it,
Andy

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
Almost forgot.  I use limbsavers, bow hush and hush puppies and get a very quiet hunting bow.

Andy

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
Being something of a "Warfologist"...having owned pretty much ever riser that is typically Warfed by the man himself, and a couple other oddities, I'd say you picked the classic, and the most accurate.

Once you shoot for a while, if you're still having trouble getting it as quiet as you'd like, feel free to send me a PM.

Oh, you DO NOT need to spend a bunch of money on high end ILF limbs...in fact, if you're going to hunt with the bow, forget them.

...unless you can get your hands on a pair of the old Sky's...Warf's personal favorites.

Samick Wood/Glass less than $100 at Lancaster Archery.  Or wait a couple weeks and the TradTech limbs (Samick) should be available in good hunting weights, and even longbow limbs!

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »
Check the auction sites for 2nd hand ILF limbs too.  

I've owned three warf risers; Black Bear, Proline Typhoon and a Hoyt Gamegetter.

The Hoyt is my favorite although I would like to give an unweighted Black Bear a try.  Like RH said, my Proline was blazing fast but I never liked the "feel" of it.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
I really like the bear/jennings Warfs.They have a grip that shoots well for me.I too like mine un-weighted but you can't go wrong either way.Any limbs you get will feel good and shoot good on it.I imagine your shooting will improve once you start using it as well.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
The Proline is the fastest of the risers...but with those steeper limb pocket angles, guys with draw lengths 28" and over should really go up to Medium limbs.

Though if you want a blazin' fast bow, find yourself a pair of Hoyt Fx (shorts) limbs about 5 lbs lighter than your preferred draw length, and stick 'em on a Proline...stack 'em an inch or two and those FX limbs just seem to blaze.

Another auction tip for ILF limbs is to buy longs...if you're primarily punchin' paper with 'em, why not longs?  They're going to be the smoothest, zero finger finch, nice and stable.

Remember Oly Archer's shoot 25" risers and "70 bows for a reason...

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
I was looking around, and I think that the 66" KAP Winstorm Carbon Limbs look like they will do the job nicely, unless someone knows of any shorter budget limbs.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for any inexpensive plungers and rests?

Final question, what weight do I need to get a bow that is about 40 pounds on the riser?

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I have a ProLine and I like it.  I have had it a couple of months and am just now getting back into shooting.  I have a SHORT set of the KAP Challenger Carbon limbs on it and they work fine for me.  I probably couldn't tell the difference between those and the inexpensive maple/glass limbs that KAP makes.

One thing I would like to know though is whether or not anyone knows of a WARF riser that is LIGHTER and maybe SHORTER than the risers commonly mentioned that are WARFed.  Anyone?

Nala

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
J-Shooter,

I think you'll find Lancaster Archery will have just about anything you need in the plunger and rest lines.

You can also check there for limbs.  Don't be bashful about checking out the Samick limbs.  They've got a wood glass limb for $99.00 that is well worth consideration.

I "think" that Warfed Bear riser will gain about 4 to 6#'s over the listed weight on the limbs.

Good Luck, and welcome to the world of metal bows.

Jim

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
I'm interested in getting one of these bows. Not knowing anything about them, other than what I've read, where do you start? Is there someone who is selling complete bows, or go you have to purchase a used compound riser and have it machined to accept the limbs? Seems like a whole nother world of archery. Thanks.
N/A

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Go to TradTalk.com, they are alot of ILF type guys, there is a huge amount of ILF related info there.  They may have Warf stuff for sale on the Trading Blanket section, but I ordered one.

The Tradtalk Store, and the Lancaster Archery supply seem they have all the neccisary Warf supplies (limbs, plungers, flippers, etc.)

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Nala, you want lighter and shorter try to get your hands on a Hoyt TD3...very light, and "19...

Also, Lancaster Archery will be selling a wooden ILF riser that's "19 and a metal ILF riser that's "17 very soon.

Finally, don't overlook the Hoyt Reflex version of the Gamemaster that Basspro shops is selling for $450.  Great value and easy to upgrade the limbs via a bushing system if you ever feel the need to.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks for adding the place to get the limbs. I have an extra riser (or two) I'd like to put limbs on.
Jason Lester

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©