3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cockfeathers and broadheads  (Read 471 times)

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Cockfeathers and broadheads
« on: June 16, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
...Are they supposed to line up or does it really even matter?  I heard some guys going back and forth on this a few days ago.

Most the fellas said that the broadhead MUST be in line with the cockfeather...or else true devastion will occur. (premature baldness, dogs and cats living in harmony...) Truth is, these guys honestly didn't know WHY they had to be aligned.

I shoot 2 blade broadheads (magnus and ribteks)..but what if I were to switch to a 3 blade head? Would it matter or make a diffrence?

And finally, what effect does this have if I shoot cockfeather up, or cockfeather out?

I've heard that some reasoning for this has something to do with your sightpicture when you are drawing back on your target. Personally, I don't even see (Or should I say Notice) my broadhead when I am shooting. My concentration is on "That Spot".

Personally, I stick a broadhead on a shaft and go hunting. Dont seem to affect my shooting as far as I can see, unless there's an effect that I'm not seeing.

Whats yalls opinion on this?

Thanks!
Cam

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cockfeathers and broadheads
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »
If I actually think about it when I'm putting broadheads on my arrows, I'll align them vertically. More frequently though, I'm worrying about whether they're going to spin true or not, and how they are oriented on the shaft goes right out the window.

I shoot Grizzly & old Bear Razorheads & the occasional 3 blade Snuffer & I've never noticed how they're oriented on the shaft making any difference. I think mostly it's a personal thing.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 03:54:00 AM »
:banghead:     :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »
Try putting your 2 blade broadhead on straight up and down and then turn it 1/4 turn to the right. This is when shooting with the cock feather out and away from the bow shelf.  My arrows fly great that way and I can see when I aim as the blade is not in the way.

Jon Stewart
Semper Fi

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
I'm with Jon. Don't like looking at a broadhead when trying to concentrate on the target. Good arrow flight too.

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Once upon a time a master bowyer and champion archer (my dad) once told me to line my 2 blade heads up flat, perpindicular to the string.  Here's why:  He and I both build our arrows the same way- when gluing the nock on we put the grain flat, i.e. perpindicular to the string.  This is to help line the arrow's grain in the strongest direction for combating archer's paradox (the bending of the arrow around the shelf of a non-center cut bow).  When gluing on a broadhead, you want the added weight (and force during a shot) of the blades of a 2-blade head lined up in that same direction-- flat, with the strongest direction of the grain.  This will keep the arrow flexing as little as possible during the shot, which will aid in accuracy or consistency.  

Now, that being said- if you shoot 3 blade heads, carbons, or aluminum arrows then it really makes no difference as long as your broadheads are all lined up the same to remain consistent.

Hope I confused you less,

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
If this does matter at all I've never been able to tell... I usually line up my 2 blade heads vertically with my "12 O'clock" fletch. Only reason behind this is so everything lines up for my eyes.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline mjlaychur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
the arrows spin as they leave the bow and in flight I don't think it matters. mike

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
I shoot two blade and found it doesn't matter. Some have said they like the head perpendicular to give more clearance to their bow hand at full draw. I told them their arrows are probably too short.
For setting into bow quiver I have the heads parallel to the string.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I prefered mine(2 blade) horizontal. Just the way I've always done it. Mounted true is a must. I've believe Adcock says it is prefered for better arrow flight. Can't argue as I've not tried  vertical. I will be trying a 3 blade and will align with fletch first, check flight and go from there.

Steve

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
I don't think that the orientation of the broadhead in relation to the feathers makes any difference, atleast I have not noticed any diference. I shoot 2blades and three blades with four fletch and never had any problems.  IMO what matters is that the arrow spins true. Once I have achievd that I do adjust my nock so that the broadhead does not interfere with my sight picture.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
I used to shoot mine horizontally. Now I shoot them vertically. If I'm tuned properly and the heads are mounted straight, I haven't noticed a lick of difference in how they fly.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
I used to shoot mine horizontally. Now I shoot them vertically. If I'm tuned properly and the heads are mounted straight, I haven't noticed a lick of difference in how they fly.
I agree with Jason...haven't noticed any difference at all in how they fly. However, I do like my two blades vertical when I can to minimize how much it's in my sight picture, which effects how well I  shoot.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Ditto with what JC said.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:

Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
I agree with Jason...haven't noticed any difference at all in how they fly. However, I do like my two blades vertical when I can to minimize how much it's in my sight picture, which effects how well I  shoot. [/b]
Yep. I definately have to agree with that. I align all my broadheads the same so I have a consistent sight picture. If I had them all over the place, I'm sure it'd mess with my shooting.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Hi Cam! I shoot two blades horizontal and my Snuffers and Woodsmens "V" up. Don't think it matters really, that's just way I've always done it and it seems to work out! I suggest you set them whatever way keeps the blade(s) out of your sight picture, but the main thing is that they spin true. Good Luck! Tell the fellars at the range "howdy" for me! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 05:17:00 AM »
I mount my two blade heads so that they are vertical,ie parallel to the string. When the back of the head just touches my finger on my bow hand I know I am at full draw and anchored. Just the way I do it and is part of my shot sequence. If the broadhead don't touch my finger I ain't at full draw.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
what JC said
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©