3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why such heavy arrows?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline country roads

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why such heavy arrows?
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
javi's test makes since there is not eough gain in speed to really matter from 370 to 600 about 25fps when you consider the noise and vibration  factor of a lighter arrow. stealth and accuracery are still more important because i can tell a big differance in vibration from my buddys heavier arrows, much less.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
for when things don't go right or big hogs.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I would like to comment on Stumkillers post above, my 8 to 9 gpp. arrows do the same thing, so what dose it matter. I actually not only get two hole but lots of pass thrus as long as I stay off the shoulder and even when I hit shoulder I get enough penetration to get both lungs as well. I beleive the well tuned bow that you shoot accurately with a very sharp head is lot more important than the weight of arrow you shoot, again unless you are hunting the really big critters. Shawn
I also said this:    
Each of us has to be confident in OUR equipment or we might as well stay home. I am confident in mine and, as a traditionalist using what has been taught me, I ain't changing. ;-) I'm happy for you if you are confident in yours.  
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
They said if I shot Traditional I wouldnt have to do all the math...

Folks been shootin 8-10 gpp for years, why? cuz it works, they like it.

Folks been shootin 10-12+ gpp for years, why? cuz it works, they like it.

Soo..pick and stick with a setup that you shoot well, get it tuned as close to perfect as you can. A fine tuned setup shoots well, so you shoot well and that builds confidence. Confidence in yourself and your equipment is more important than any KE,FPS,GPP....

Eric

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
"the compound shooter in me says speed kills and velocity is the begining of kenetic energy"

First of all, I think you should forget about what the compound shooter says in you. Your not comparing apples to apples if you try and compare what you are doing with a compund versus a longbow or a recurve. There are alot of different opinions on this subject, so let me give you mine.

Alot of bowyers will not warrenty their bow if you do not shoot over 8-9 GPP. I would use that as my "guide". I personally belive that a heavy arrow will give you more penetration. I shoot the weight I do (750 gr)because it keeps my bow quiet, and it hits hard. My mind is used to it and I see no reason to change.It is what works for me..

Although I have heard that 10 gpp is the perfect combination of speed and penetration. I still shoot what I feel works the best for ME. When I was starting out with traditional I did alot of expermenting with differnt arrow combinations, until I found what works the best. I wasnt worried about a flat tradjectory  because I dont shoot game out of my "comfort zone", which is 20 yards. Do what works best for YOU and just shoot and have fun. I found out that ounce I got to this point I just made, its all up to you to practice, and to train your internal computer..

I believe in keeping it simple, and I leave the math out of it. It doesnt matter to me that  arrow "A" will give me a "X" amount of more velosity, then arrow "B"... Have fun, and keep us posted  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
All I know is I hunt with a friend who uses a compound 65#@28"that is top of the line his arrow is around 500gr I shoot a Tomahawk SS 63#@29 my arrows is 603gr when shooting at 30yards his set up only had about 2" more penetration then my arrow this is into my block target both are carbon arrows.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
well....I've just been shooting whatever aluminum or wood that works with whatever bow, they all end up at 9 to 11 GR per #...and all end up in the dirt on the other side. The rest of this math is wasted energy that could be better spent with loved ones and friends or cooking up a big pot of Chorzo n beans.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
I think we burn too many brain cells with these KE vs. Momentum debates.  The bottom line is that they are correlated and based on the same two variables - speed and arrow weight.

You can convert one to the other:
KE = (momentum^2*112700)/arrow weight
Momentum = sqrt(KE*arrow weight/112700)

http://archeryreport.com/2009/11/arrow-kinetic-energy-momentum-archer/

If one goes up, the other goes up.  If one goes down, the other goes down.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©