3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting tips  (Read 561 times)

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting tips
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Set your decoys CLOSE I have called for several hunters and myself that have killed birds at under 5 yards.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
I like-em CLOSE too Charlie . . . like to see the detail in their beady little eyes!
Gary Logsdon

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
"Don't miss when the opportunity presents itself."

If it were only that easy.

Charlie, I love those photos!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Dirtybird... Since I use screw in heads, I simple tie the string around the the "screw" and twist it in place. Haven't had a problem doing that.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
"set up in the shadows"...for Blindless hunting...i have geared my blindless set up to blend into a tree trunk. Took a while to get it like i want it but it's all in the texture and shadows your fabric absorbs and displays.  I am in the pic with no brush or foleage in front of me...good hunting

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
FYI....A non mortally hit gobbler can break a single lined hit with a 17# string tracker. it takes about  8# or less to break a stretched out singled line bird....go practice in yard, tie it on your cat and turn him loose!!!!...a lot people on here use it and that is cool with me...i persoanally will not use it
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Lotta good stuff here fellas.JoeBuck,enjoyed your PBS tips.RC

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Ever hear of those Stingerees a fishing head.  I heard of guys screwing off the field point and putting on a broadhead and use the fishing setup with a bow fishing reel.  They just shoot 'em and reel 'em in.  Prairie du Chien, WI.  I think they weren't bow hunters - compound.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
TTT
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Charlie,
Where can I get a string tracker?

Gary,
You were shooting an Acadian Woods bow at one time.  Did you have to camo it for the turkeys?

Joebuck & RC,
Could you give some tips on bowkilling southern turkeys.  I will be hunting out of a double bull.  What kind of decoy set up should I use?  Will this approach work in hardwoods?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
For unpressured birds, you can just set up your blind w/a couple of dekes in the middle of the field and have success.

I hunt a highly pressured bowhunting only zone. Consistantly successful hunting tactics are quite different here. These birds become educated quickly and run from the site of a blind, even partially concealed and/or dekes. We set-up where the birds want to be in the 1st place. My trad partners and I may spend up to an hour getting a set-up ready to achieve virtually total natural concealment. This practise has increased our shot opportunities by 3X.

Call extremely sparingly and consider using calls that the birds haven't learned to associate with a hunter. My choices are trumpets or wingbones. The one problem I have encountered using this style call is that on least a 1/2 dozen occassions that I had inexperienced hunters actually hunting me.

We also use with much success, dummy blinds and dekes to move birds toward our concealed set-ups.
This tactic could back fire, however these birds are so pressured that they have so far gone out of there way to avoid the dummy set-up 100% of the time.

I am no expert but Turkeys are my thing and going this extra mile has paid worthwhile dividends.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Yeah, in Michigan my turkeys don't like dekes or blinds. I am going shaggy this year. Just used blinds last year of natural blowdowns but a shaggie should help. I had good luck but didn't connect. I found a brush blind on the edge of a commonly used field works well, about 3 yds from the edge. I sit on a gun hunter turkey seat and pad and shoot 68" longbows without a problem. Hoping I can connect this yr! Learned a ton last

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Never used a blind or string tracker. I have been gobbler hunt with trad. The last 21 years with selfbows 7 with longbows and recurves before that.
  I can shoot off my butt with a 60 inch self bow. I never set up where gobblers have to come straight to me. I'll set up where the bird has to go past me cow trails, loging roads, bottle necks just like deer hunting.
   I never set decoys out in the open fields. It's likely the gobbler your hunting has aready been spooked with this set up. I never use the 2 hens and a jake decoy again everyone use's this set up. And again the gobbler likely been spooked with that set up.
  I never do what your surpose to. Meaning set up my decoys where they can be see from a long way. I call the gobbler to the decoy. Meaning the gobblers aready comeing and when he gets 50 or 75 yards he'll see the decoys. This way I don't get very many hang ups. And he dos'nt see the decoy never moveing the whole way to him.
  Once he see's my decoys I shut up and let the decoys do the calling. I never call when ever the birds coming or if I can see him. HE'S ALREADY BEEN FOOLED HE'S COMEING.
   This is where the most important thing to learn comes into play PATENCE and the most important thing to do is SCOUT. I could go on for ever. Best teacher is just do it.And learn from what your doing each time.
 And don't beleive all you see on TV.Lots of times they call then kill the gobbler and then edit the calling in later. They want you to here all that good good calling. Most pessured or most any gobbler don't or won't come to that much calling.
   Unless the hens lost from her flock or her gobbers been killed the day before and she's looking for him. Natural hens don't call that loud or that much.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
I for got to say that I've used a ghillie sence 80 or 81. Use'lly set my sites up before season. (SCOUT) No more than a couple logs to break up my out line.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Good tips Mr. Roy.I`ve found I`m a much better Turkey hunter than caller. I try to call`m the way they are already headed.RC

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Lots of great tips here.  Thanks for sharing this very useful information.  

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Been trying for 8 seasons here in Michigan.    :knothead:  

State land birds are tough to trick. Lots of good info in her, keep it coming!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gary Logsdon:
FYI: The turkey on the cover of the current (April/May)issue of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine was taken by me last year using a Shaggie and mounted decoy.
Gary,
GREAT job on the cover pic   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
"set up in the shadows"...for Blindless hunting...i have geared my blindless set up to blend into a tree trunk. Took a while to get it like i want it but it's all in the texture and shadows your fabric absorbs and displays.  I am in the pic with no brush or foleage in front of me...good hunting

Joey,
OUTSTANDING !!!
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I agree, a lot of scouting prior to season. Learn turkey hunting from the turkeys...take you video camera, it's a blast.

I also agree with: "Be where they want to be...that's where the scouting pays off...you know where they're headed.

Good hunting!
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©