3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wounding rates of compounds vrs trad?  (Read 216 times)

Offline Houska

• Trad Bowhunter
wounding rates of compounds vrs trad?
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
I am curious if there has ever been a study on wounding of game while using compounds and traditional and which one had higher number of wounded animals. I seem to recall seeing a study but can't remember.

It seems like some of the compound guys think we wound way more then they do, but I thought it was equal.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: wounding rates of compounds vrs trad?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Don't have them in front of me now, but were a couple done in Missourri, I believe, about 20 years ago.  One may have been in Minnesota.  Regardless, the findings were the same in both. The higher the technology/more technology used, the higher the wounding rate. Pretty much a linear graph with compound shooters using sights and releases wounding the most, followed by compound finger shooters, then recurve shooters, then longbows. Those who used the highest tech equipment, i.e., compounds with sights and releases, also killed the most animals. In summary, they took more and longer shots, killed the most animals and wounded the most animals.

I have these studies squirreled away in my files and haven't looked at them for more than 10 years.  Maybe someone else can provide a reference or can point to more recent studies.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Wounding rates must be tough to pin down.  It would depend on the wounder being forthright and confessing.  So, when comparing good honest traditional folk to . . .

No, I've never seen such a study.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Touchy subject at best.  I've not seen a study; and I doubt I'd pay a whole lot of attention to it if I did.  I think the wound rate has everything to do with the individual hunter and their sense of ethics and discipline to only shoot within their personal capability and little to do with the tools used.  My personal observation is I've seen lot more buckshot deer dressed out than those with previous arrow wounds.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Touchy subject at best.  I've not seen a study; and I doubt I'd pay a whole lot of attention to it if I did.  I think the wound rate has everything to do with the individual hunter and their sense of ethics and discipline to only shoot within their personal capability and little to do with the tools used.  My personal observation is I've seen lot more buckshot deer dressed out than those with previous arrow wounds.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
This can only go downhill.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©