3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What broadhead is this?  (Read 738 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What broadhead is this?
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Recently purchased a set of arrows from the well known auction site. Do you know this broadhead? Spun aluminum ferrel, alum rivet near the tip, 3 1/4" long, 1 1/16 wide, no other markings.  

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What broadhead is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Looks like the old old Howard Hills to me.I have a book at home that might help unless someone else knows.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Yup.. It's a Howard Hill
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
a howard hill BROADHEAD for sure

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
Well, I'll keep an eye on this one. I proclaimed it "not" a Howard Hill when Shaun showed me the head in person. I still think it isn't... but would love to be proved wrong.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I don't think it's a Hill either, I've seen them before but can't remember.  Maybe a collecter guy will chime in here and help us out.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
I know Charlie,It looks like the older models I think and it has the aluminum ferrel but I am not sure.Seems like there was a look alike out there but I don't remember.Interesting  :)  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Tracy... the Hill "style" was pretty popular and there were a bunch of 3to1 heads manufactured at times.

Except for his very early heads, I suspect most of the manufactured heads for Howard had his name on them.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Falk? Where are ya?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Seems like I have a picture somewhere of him holding an arrow with that same broadhead on it.Not the new style you can buy now.

I am sure you are right Charlie,Thanks.
I sure am curious though.

Tracy

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Looks like a hill. But If I was a bettingman i would say no.JMO and I have been known to lose a few bets in the old days.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Oooops?!?

I just posted a reply to this one in the  Trad History / Collecting Forum !

But I can say it here again of course:
That's a Crestwood "Sabre" and it should in fact have SABRE stamped on one side of the blade - in front of the ferrule; made since 1956.

Glad I could help   ;)  
Falk

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks Falk,Saved me some looking when I get home from work.  :)  

Tracy

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
Some "insights" on how I SEE things, like in this case. It just goes as follows:

Ah, a Crestwood Sabre - nice! Why not a Hill like anyone said?  Well -
1) because almost ALL Hill bhds have a CAST alum ferrule.
2) most barbed Hill or Pearson/Hill bhds have a crimped ferrule tip and no rivet.
3) blade silhouette in Hill bhds has convex tip and concave edge
4) I have two different Sabre in my collection  :)

Here is a picture of different barbed bhds, with Crestwood Sabres at 3 and 5 o'clock and a barbed Hill bhd at six o'clock position:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
Falk... thanks for setting the record straight. Here's a bit of useless trivia for you.

The broadhead at the 11 o'clock position... Back in the late 70's early 80's (memory fails me) I had a friend who was vice pres. of Sales and Marketing for a large aluminum arrow shaft Mfg.

At the time I was playing with all kinds of designs of broadheads to reduce wounding loss when hunting rock chucks in the mountains.

The two criteria for the design were it had to open a big hole (multiblade) and it had to be cheap enough that you could "chuck it" when it was ruined while shooting in the rocks.

He never even said thank you for the design.

Don't ask about aluminum arrows with wood grain pattern.  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
Thanks Falk, I was told you'd have the last word on these. I am planning to shoot them unless this is sacralidge to collectors. The arrows have natural turkey shield cut fletching and the plastic speed type nocks have inticator ridges, cresting is large scale hand brushed - not the modern fine line stuff. I'll look closer to see if there is marking on the blade as you indicated. Thanks again.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »
posted by Charlie:
... useless trivia for you.
Charlie, there is nothing useless but it is very interesting indeed! So it was YOU!?    :thumbsup:  
But then I've to apologize for several cases when I told others, the "man with the broad smile" had the idea ... as the name of the bhd would indicate as well.   :rolleyes:  

BTW: I think it was the first comercial bhd I ever shot at all - the Mini version - pictured is a Chuck-It Maxi. Shot them just for fun and the kick it gave me, using a "real" arrow ...  :D

And the wooden alum arrow as well?!  Neat idea!   :notworthy:   I'll try to keep that one in mind too.
-----

Shaun,
I would never claim to have the last word - at least not in the public   ;)   Yeah, go ahead and use them. They are not worth to much, so don't worry.

Falk

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Falk... I've got both sizes in my small collection, but never owned a whole set.

As usual I underestimated the cost of manufacture and they weren't as disposable as I'd hoped. My budget wouldn't allow me to use them as intended and my "friend" didn't send me any.

Matter of fact, he stopped talking to me all together after the camo shaft thing. Go figure!  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Thanks, Falk.. how that's something. I have seen this one advertized many times on **** as a Howard Hill Broadhead. As a novice broadhead collector going to keep that Collecting forum in mind too!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Shaun
I dont think you should shoot those. It would be better if you gave them to me to hold for you until they become more valuable.
The hunt is the trophy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©