3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sealing Arrows  (Read 337 times)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Sealing Arrows
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
Hey, I've been thinking of making a whole bunch of arrows and looking to trying an seal them for myself.

I have heard the Eco-dipper works well and am thinking of buying one, but have a few questions.

I hear it works best with gasket lacquer, is this something I can get at the hardware store or is it specific to archery? And how much would you expect to use sealing say 100 arrows?

Thanks,
Ari

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sealing Arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
I made a dip tube using PVC pipe with a reservoir. I use waterbased poly (Raptor Dip) from Raptor Archery. No fumes, and a perfect seal- done 100s of shafts.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »
I've found that some type of poly or spar varnish works better, for me, than just gasket lacquer.  Gasket Lacquer is not the best for wet conditions.  Also spar varnish tends to yellow as it ages, but I don't mind that.  I sometimes dip in G.L. after the varnish or poly dries.  Its up to you, as how you do it.
Just enjoy making the arrows!!
JAG/Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »
Use to use fletchlac products but the fumes are to much for me. Any more I spray (lots of waste) or use wipe on polyurethane ob (much better) with good results.

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
More or less specific to the archery industry.  There are so many different types of paint lacquers. You have to realize that it takes a certain amount to fill the tube,  I would estimate that it will take about two quarts.  Water based is definitely more user and environmentally friendly.  I prefer water base and it is less costly.  Check with Three Rivers.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
If an eco-dipper is like other dip tubes in not removing the excess sealer on removal of the shaft it is not going to work with gasket lacquer. Think honey fresh out of the refrigerator and you get an idea as to it's consistency.

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
I use Varathane Polyurethane.  I attach them to stretch cord and them them drip into a v channel.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
I have used a PVC pipe and water based poly for floors to seal arrows(time consuming). Now that I found the wipe on poly,I will not go back to dipping.It seals great and is fast and looks great.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
PVC pipe(funnel glued in the top, cost $3 or $4 for a nice dip tube) for dippper, but I use Min-wax oil based poly thinned 60% poly--40% paint thinner. A quart should easily do 100 arrows. Lately I have just been thinning it and wiping it on, several coats and let dry good between coats. I actually have 2 dozen I am doing right now, just wiping on. After a couple coats I lightly steel wool even when dipping and coat again.Hope that helps! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
The wipe on polyurethane sounds good, would you just wipe on a coat then lightly sand back and repeat? does it require thinning first?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I'm a dipper myself.  I use poly gloss wood floor finish.  It lasts till I loose them.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Dependsthe actual wipe on stuff, no thinning the regular yes thinning. I sand every other coat wiping it on, usually 4 to 6 coats depending if the are hunting shafts or just stumpers. Shawn
Shawn

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
I built my dip tank from PVC and use MINWAX water based Polycrylic. No fumes at all. Dries quick. Light sanding between coats, Usually 4 to 6 coats as well.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I bought an eco-dipper last summer and it works great as long as you use it with gasket lacquer.  at first I tried it with sanding sealer, which was not really thick enough to stay on the gasket for the whole shaft.  so I ordered a quart of gasket lacquer from 3 Rivers, as far as I could tell there was no way to buy it locally.  after around 6 dozen shafts, 3 coats per shaft, there is still a little more than 1/2 quart left in the can.  so far it has not jelled in the can like I was afraid it would.

Offline T.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I bought an eco-dipper at the waterloo expo a couple weeks ago.  I've done 2 dozen shafts with 3 coats each and works very well.  Using gasket lacquer, then turned the can upside down to help keep any air out.

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Where would I go about getting wipe on Polyurethane, because if I can get it locally that would be much easier than having to order more if I run out.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I'll be right over, and we'll go shopping.

Killdeer   :rolleyes:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Ari
Don't know what kind of stores you have Down Under. Around here you can get wipe on polyurethane at Lowe's or Home Depot. I usually wipe on, let it set up and then lightly steel wool and then do another coat until I'm happy with the result. I'm sure any local hardware store would have something similar.

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
Hmm, I asked the local hardware store about wipe on polyurethane and they didn't have much idea...

Am I looking for an oil based Polyurethane? What kind of thickness would be idea?

Thanks for the help.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
Your looking for a can of oil based polyurethane. Rub on an even coat, let set up and 4 0000 steel wool to smooth out. Do 4 or 5 coats. You'll know when it's enough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©