3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: game camera theft prevention  (Read 401 times)

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
game camera theft prevention
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
anybody have experience with using gps chips inside your game cam to track them after theft?  I heard a speaker once say he used those but have not been able to find anything on the web.

Any other great ideas on theft prevention?  Looking to buy my first cam for this year.

Thanks in advance
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: game camera theft prevention
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
I know a few guys that used climbers and put theirs 12 ft up and point them down. They don't get the "up close and personal" pictures, but at least they still get to see what kind of deer they have around and they still have a camera left. It works suprisingly well.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Anybody use the python cables? I beleive they are made of kevlar, which you cant cut. I have been considering them.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Yes, the python cables are good.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Budddy Lost a nice reconx all was left at tree was the cut python cable.  I use these but are not sure thing

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
yes u can cut kevlar, all of the cables are going ot keep an honest person away, thats it.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I use the python cables on all mine. I also build my own cams. The cables can be cut. But somebody is going to work on getting it off the tree. I also do a liquid nail camo on them cause it blends in better than the commercial camo. Dont set them up where others can find them. What I mean is put them back in the bushes off the trail a little.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Benchmade111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
I know a few guys that used climbers and put theirs 12 ft up and point them down. They don't get the "up close and personal" pictures, but at least they still get to see what kind of deer they have around and they still have a camera left. It works suprisingly well.
I like this idea. I never thought of that. As for the cables. My friend talked to the company for one and they said if you have 2 sets off cables and you only have one set of bolt cutters it will only cut one cable. When you try to cut the other cable the bolt cutters are to dull.
  And I tried setting my camera in some brush. But I check mine once a week. And it's full of just the bushes waving from the wind. I'm trying to come up with a box you would have to break the camera to get off the tree. All steel, It may weigh a ton but you can't steal it.
    I hate hunters that steal. If I see a trail camera. I stop and wave at it and give 2 thumbs up.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I haven't lost a camera, but have had several treestands stolen with bolt cutters.  This is one of the reasons my wife and I bought our own land and haven't had a problem (yet).  It's hard to fathom why some people stoop so low as to steal your stuff.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline captainkirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
 I hate hunters that steal. If I see a trail camera. I stop and wave at it and give 2 thumbs up.    :thumbsup:  [/QB]
They aren't hunters who steal, they are thieves that hunt...

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
We use a couple of cuddebacks at work to curb vandalism. Those are housed in their bear safe, we have pics of people messing with them but they have never been stolen.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Benchmade111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by captainkirk:

I hate hunters that steal. If I see a trail camera. I stop and wave at it and give 2 thumbs up.     :thumbsup:   [/b]
They aren't hunters who steal, they are thieves that hunt... [/QB]
Sorry, I worded that wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Earley:
anybody have experience with using gps chips inside your game cam to track them after theft?  I heard a speaker once say he used those but have not been able to find anything on the web.

Any other great ideas on theft prevention?  Looking to buy my first cam for this year.

Thanks in advance
Do YOU have a GPS receiver that would track such a signal?  Because the local police aren't going to have one and no other agency will care.  

Put a laptop LoJack in it and tell them it's a stolen PC?  Costs $60 a year to subscribe to the service.

Smear it with dog poo.  No one will touch it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Someone needs to invent a camera box that looks like a knot on a tree.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Don't assume anyone taking it down is going to use it elsewhere.  

Could be a non-hunter or a hunter who disapproves.

If I found one on my land unannounced it would be damaged severely.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by flyfish1:
Anybody use the python cables? I beleive they are made of kevlar, which you cant cut. I have been considering them.
As has already been said, the Python cables and any others for that matter can be cut like a hot knife through butter.

Just asked the guys that stole my ATV last year on my birthday. Just to "show off".......they cut it in about three different places. VERY clean cuts too. The guys that work with or have access to someone that works on power lines or such can get cable cutters that can and will cut any cable available.

Did I mention that I really.......REALLY hate a THIEF !!!!!

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
Someone needs to invent a camera box that looks like a knot on a tree.
DING DING DING! theres your winning idea. now just gotta make one   :thumbsup:
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I engrave my name on the camera cases in at least two places it doesn't prevent theft but at least you can prove that it is yours if you ever run acrossed it.  I am sure this will not keep them from being stolen however I do think it will deter alot of people from taking your stuff.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Can you imagine that we are now worried about such things. It really is a terrible thing but it is happening everywhere.
Some creep stole my treestand on my private property.
The same thing with my brothers stand. And he did'nt have a light chain on like mine, his was a 200lb. ladder stand. GONE!
Nothing is safe anymore.
And for these creeps that are taking trail cameras, I would suspect that (some) would take it not because they intended to, but because they feel that the camera has their picture while tresspassing.
Would be interesting to see in a pic who did it, would'nt it?
......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Ive been lucky with the single trail camera I have I guess, I bought it for under 50 bucks new and have had it out plenty with no attempts to steal it.  Im kinda shocked to  be honest since it is the sort with the visible flash at night.  Then again that might just be a deterent in itself, the really valuable ones dont have visible flash to give them away and my old relic probably isnt worth the time to cut down.

Ive seen camera security boxes on the market but again if they will steal the camera you would only be throwing in the security box with the deal to those sort of people.  Im betting putting it out of reach would serve you better, anything over 9 feet should do the job.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©