3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing  (Read 438 times)

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone does any bowfishing with trad bows, and what type reel or equipment do you use on a longbow without any mounting holes.  

I got my new Thunderstick III in, and have really enjoyed shooting it this last couple of weeks, but thought bowfishing for carp and rough fish would be a fun way to spend the hot summer days, I just don't know what equipment to get for the bow.  Thx, James Jamison.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I use a Great Northern gadget adapter that straps onto my longbow and the old style spool reels. Sorry for the goofy pic, we were having fun!     :goldtooth:

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Looks like that's what I need, thx.

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
All I use is trad bows for fishing. They work great and their light weight is awesome when doing an all nighter.
I use an ams side mount strap on adaptor on my bows that I don't want to drill and put inserts in. Works pretty good.  I use the ams retriever reels when I'm bowfishing.

United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I use trad bows with the AMS retriever reel system and they work great. I am currently building a takedow just for fishing, it will be 60"@28 and I think I'm going to send it out to be camo dipped to help protect it in wet conditions. I also plan on using those rubber finger no-gloves so I dont have to have a tab or glove.
T
US ARMY 1984-1988

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
I use a 3pc takedown for bowfishing. I also use the AMS retriever reel (IMO it is the best bowfishing reel there is). I made a mounting bracket that fits under my limb bolt to mount the reel to.

Bisch

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
3x for the AMS reel.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I see more Kodiak Hunters and Grizzlys locally bowfishing than deer hunting by a long shot.

We used to wait for the spring thaw to finish and find carp trapped in isolated pools along the river.  We'd use regular arrows with no line or reel to shoot them.  Wood arrows float fletch up.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Does the moisture harm the bow? If so I need to look for a cheap used bow.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Even a casual dip shouldn't.  They're well sealed and epoxy impregnated.  If you're worried give it a good rubbing of paste wax before heading out.  

You hunt in the rain, don't you?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Yup gadget adapter or electrical tape. Never a bad idea to buy a 100 dollar bow 40-50# range for bowfishing either. I use any of my bows, but have an old 56" Grizzly(50#er) that I am using this year and just taping the reel on with electrical tape. The moisture is not an issue as long as ya wipe it dry when it gets wet. Shawn
Shawn

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I dunked my kodiak mag(along with everything else) when my canoe flopped on me. Haven't had any problems from it since. They seal them up pretty good, and if you think it might be a problem you could always put an extra top coat of spray urethane or poly over the factory finish.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Heres something one of my cousins made. If I can get him out from under his new womans thumb, maybe he'll make a couple of spares.Its just some small diameter pvc with a long bolt through it. Used on the GN gadget adapter.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Pretty slick alternative over buying a reel seat. Looks good!

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
I would get the adapter that CavScoutArcher recommends. It can be used for either the AMS Retriever reel or a spool reel that needs to go in the 5/16" hole in the front. In other words, it has more mounting options than the gadget adapter. That being said I have a dedicated bow for bowfishing and not opposed to putting screws right into the riser.   :scared:  
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
i use the same set-up as Arwin.good fishing,steve

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »

i just use a basic setup, works just fine..

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »

AMS bow reel and an adapter from 3 rivers has worked for me and my wife.

When you get arrows its best to get a slide system for safety. I've had many close calls before they came out with the slide system and before I bought an AMS reel.  A lot of them could have been avoided by paying more attention but when action is hot and heavy sometimes you forget.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©