3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trunk Bow  (Read 210 times)

Online Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
Trunk Bow
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Anyone have a bow they always keep in the bed of their truck or trunk of their car with some arrows should the opportunity to stump or target shoot arise? I know I used to do it with airguns when I was deeply involved with them. Usually something not too expensive incase of theft or damage.

I was thinking about doing the same with a longbow I have here. Do you think keeping it unstrung would still prevent it from heat damage in the summer time? This time of year in NY seems like it would be okay, but when things really heat up it may be hell on fletching depending on the type of adhesive used.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trunk Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
May be OK in the winter months,but never in the summer. Will delam it for sure.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
I carry a couple of longbows in the back of my pickup all summer here in Kansas. It gets over a hundred sometimes. But, I have a lid on the bed of my truck and it never gets hot inside. (my truck is also white which probably helps also).
Lots of times I want to swing by the range for a while on the way home after work.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I keep a bow in my SUV at all times.  It's always unstrung.  Never had a problem.

I always make sure it's cooled off before stringing.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by No-sage:
  It's always unstrung.  Never had a problem.

I always make sure it's cooled off before stringing.
X2

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a bow in the backseat a lot, not a beater either. All my bows are beaters even my 1000 dollar ones. I do it for the reasons you said. Quick stump shoot, flock a turkeys off ina distant field I can stalk or set up on. Always a good idea! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I don't keep one in my truck at all times...but when I do travel with a bow I unstring it and use 4" PVC to transport my bows in. I would think some white PVC (french drain type w/ holes in it) wouldn't get too hot unless it is laying in a black bed liner then maybe(especially if attached to the upper side of a  siderail where air can flow through it).
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Should say I never unstring mine just leave windows down and lay on floor with a towel over it. Obviously if it is gonna be a real hot sunny day I do unstring it. Never had a trad bow delam, but my bro had a compound of all things let loose when he left it in a black case in the front seat of his truck on a 90 degree day. Shawn
Shawn

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
That's where an all-fiberglass or metal bow comes in handy. I've been using an old Grimes for my trailer/truck bow. It breaks down easy and the heat will not effect the aluminum limbs. I also have a Pearson fiberglass two-piece that I use for running around. Both will take the heat and abuse.

Oh, and yes I know the tales about the aluminum limbs. Most of the tales were based upon the Par-X bows. I have never had a problem with any of my Grimes.
TommyBoy

Offline csimpson

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I always have 2 or 3 bows in the canopy of my truck, unstrung.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Just leave them unstrung and they should be fine.  I like a T/D n a case under the seat.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Heat is a killer on the glue.  Heat is what makes it cure and heat will reverse the cure.

Two suggestions keep the bow and arrows covered with heat reflecting blanket and face the reflecting side out as to reflect the heat away.  I would add one additional cover on top.

Last, get a bow that if it does delaminate there will be no big loss.

I have thought of the same thing but I just take the bow and arrows in and out.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
glad you asked this, Zmonster.  been wonderin this same thing.  specially with them big fields of turkey round here.

rich
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©