3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Summit Razor or LW Sit & Climb  (Read 211 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Summit Razor or LW Sit & Climb
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I searched and read a number of threads, but didn't find quite what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for an open front stand that also has the ability to sit and climb and have narrowed it down to these two.  For those of you that have tried both, which is more comfortable, easier to climb and most importantly, is less in your way when shooting?

I know the LW is lighter, but I don't have to pack in very far, so weight isn't a huge issue.   I do sometimes sit for hours, so comfort is an issue.  I have heard the older LW seats were uncomfortable, but the newer ones were better.  I have not been able to compare the two side by side and can't tell which would give the most limb clearance when shooting.

I'm really only looking for opinions on these 2 stands only.  While I know you guys are partial to the stands you love, I don't want a Tree Saddle or a Loggy or something else.  When I want a treestand with a bar in front, I'll use my Timbertall, as I have never found anything better.  In fact, I'll use the platform of the Timbertall regardless of which climbing portion I end up with.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Summit Razor or LW Sit & Climb
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I had a Summit Razor  and sold that to buy my LW sit n climb. I think if they combine both stands toghter ,you would have the ultimate stand. I like my LW ALOT, but as far as comfort goes, the Summit is hard to beat. Alot of fellas put the Summit seat on their Lone Wolfs.. I will be doing that for the long sits.  If I had to choose now between the LW and the Summit, I still would choose the LW    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Both are great stands. I personally use a treewalker. I like having a rail in front of me. I lean over it or lean against it and shoot. My dad and buddies use the LW and love it , i just like easier setups. They say it is easy once you learn how to but i like real easy. The Treewalker is like the ol man, it looks like the olman except it does not fold down. That is the only downside to it, the bulkyness of carrying it. The good thing is it is 17 or 18 lbs. i can carry it for a long way on my back and you can barely feel it. The teeth on the walker are screws so if you like treading lightly on trees dont use this stand because it looks like a woodpecker got after it after you climb. Solid as a rock and i shoot  60in recurve out of it, you just got to get seat height right so you dont hit bottom limb from the front.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
I just bought the Open Shot top part (Summit sells it direct) to go with my already purchased Viper bottom, and think it is a good solution for traditional shooters.  I don't like how the Open Shot platform is so short (even though I'm not tall).  The Viper bottom adds about 4" of length.  The  Razor seems more restrictive for side shots than either the Open Shot or the LW (especially if using the tree as camo).  I'm not a big fan of LW seats, but I only have an older Alpha Loc-on and haven't tried the new ones.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
If these are your only 2 choices and you'll be using the platform of the Timbertall anyway, I'd get the razor top section.  The LW sit and climb was the most uncomfortable seat I ever sat in.  I used it twice and returned it to Cabelas.  I currently have the LW hand climber and Summit broadhead backpacker.  Both are great, I use the LW when I go deeper in the woods as it is lighter and packs flat but use the Summit where my walk won't be so bad as it is quite a bit more comfortable to me.  Good luck...Mike

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I have used a razor for about 5 seasons now. Both with a bow and gun.  I have had no problems with mine at all. Wish that it folded flat for a easier while packing it in and out of the woods but overall I have been very happy with it.
I have never used a ln stand but have heard nothing but good things about them.
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
I would save cash and get a summit open shot. Extremely light weight and the sit is comfortable.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Mark - Unfortunately, the Open Shot doesn't work for me because it doesn't have the sit-and-climb feature.  When you get to be an old guy you will like not having to pull yourself up and stands that have a comfy seat and a back rest.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
LW, sit and climb is the way to go. I have owned several summits and ol'mans and the LW is the most solid and quiet stand. I prefer quiet to total comfort as if I buggar the deer gettin in the tree, than it doesn't matter how long I sit. Shawn
Shawn

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
the LW sit-n-climb I had was very tight fitting to say the least. it was VERY compact and easy to use, just a bit small for me. if you're average or large build you'll be squashed in when you put on insulated camo or wool.

jus my 2cents

Offline Roots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
Also use a LW, very comfortable, they make a wider sit and climb called the sit and climb 11, it has a wider seat 21" instead of 17".

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stinger:
Mark - Unfortunately, the Open Shot doesn't work for me because it doesn't have the sit-and-climb feature.  When you get to be an old guy you will like not having to pull yourself up and stands that have a comfy seat and a back rest.
got ya. well i head the lone wolf sit and climb with the summit seat is the way to go. only complaint i here is the LW seats are horrible.  the net seat they sell is suppose to be pretty nice as well.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Ethical Redneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Don't know about the Summit.  But I've had the LW sit n climb for about six years and it has worked great.  The seat isn't the greatest but it is easy to climb with and it's very quiet.  You might consider the wide version if your an Olympic powerlifter like me (kidding)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©