3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a multitude of confusing questions  (Read 269 times)

Offline CAT22

• Trad Bowhunter
a multitude of confusing questions
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Ive recently received advice on the site about accuracy/shooting 3 under. (shooting consistantly right) My groups are far better than with split finger, far.... just right. I've tried to correct this, shooting daily and working on form and anchor, but its all just right. I hate to torch the idea because it just feels better. If I just decide to stay at it, will my mind/body naturally adjust to this and bring the arrow closer to where i'm looking and become natural? Is it also possible that my bow just wont shoot as well 3 under? Finally, it is possible that my bow is louder shooting 3 under? It sound like it to me. I don't know how to describe it, but it actually feels like the bow is putting more of its energy into the arrow shooting split finger.
CAT22

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: a multitude of confusing questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Test to see which is your dominant eye. That may affect your groups. Shoot what you feel most comfortable with between 3-under & split. Most 3-unders use the arrow as a sight. I Never see the arrow w/split & focus instead on an imaginary "+". Good luck
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
If the bow isn't tiller for three under they tend to be louder from what I have observed.  try raising you BH a couple of twist if you are right handed to bring the arrows back left.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
The bow will become noisy if it is not tillered to shoot three fingers under and I feel it is hard on the bow as it will cause the limbs to not both recover at the same time. It will shoot funky.   Check the tiller or brace height at upper and lower fade out or any like distance.  If the distance to the string is the same or the distance is  little greater maybe a 1/16  at the bottom fade out it is probably tillered for three fingers under.  If the greatest distance to the string is at the top fade out 1/8 to 3/16 then it is tillered for split fingers.  Very few bows are tillered for three fingers and it sounds as though yours is tillered for split finger.  
The difference in the tiller is placed in there because of the difference in the length of limbs and hand placement in relationship to the center of the bow.
You are right the bow if tillered split finger and you shoot three fingers under the bow is loosing energy and not operating efficiently.
Generally increased noise level means that energy is being lost and it shows up as sound. Example, too light of arrows the bow shooting sound will go up and the lost energy shows up as sound.  Shoot heavier arrows and the bow will quite down as the energy is going into the arrows.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Build out the strike plate with a leather pad (assuming you are right handed).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Definitely louder shooting 3 under on most bows. As far as your shooting right yes your mind will soon enough adjust as long as you solely shoot that bow. If you enjoy shooting multiple bows, you may try (if you are right handed) sticking a tooth pick behind your shelf side pad to move the arrow to the left. If its too much simply shave down the tooth pick a little at a time. I have had this work but it may also change your arrow flight due to a spine issue. Good thing is you can always take the tooth pick out.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
If your shooting right hand, try a bow quiver. Sometimes the quiver will make you shoot to the left.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »
now that your shooting tighter groups,just to the right, are you sure your arrows are tuned to the bow? I was thinking that maybe they were too weak for your setup and therefore your would be shooting right of the target for a right-handed archer.   :confused:

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
If you cant the bow as most of us do, using less cant with bring the arrow left for a right-handed archer. Building out the shelf may do it too, but it affects the spine requirement.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Yup, sounds like arrows are weak so build out the strike plate and raise your nocking point to .75, that will help with noise and the tiller issue. Shawn
Shawn

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Shawn's recommendation X2.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline CAT22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. My arrows are overspined. I'm shooting an unknwn year Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 50lbs with 5570 shafts. I do cant the bow much more shooting 3 under than I did shooting split. I'm closer to my spot shooting split, but my groups are much better 3 under, again just right. I am also only shooting this one bow. I think that responds to all the suggestions.
CAT22

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©