3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy field points/broadheads  (Read 421 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy field points/broadheads
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
give them a try, if you shoot enough Game and strive for greater performance for your set-up you will see the benefits of a heavy head for yourself.

sure, you dont need a "EFOC" or whatever to successfully kill something with bow and arrow.
but the benefits are tired and tested there if you want them.

Some people settle for "good enough"
Others push and extend the boundary's for greater performance

makes the world go round...

have fun with it, enjoy the hunting.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Very well said, Ragnarok Forge. I agree 100%! Same goes with Andy Ivy's statements.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Crash - Your arrows are likely in the upper EFOC range (~27%) based on a 29.25" arrow.

Lots of FOC!!

Just had some 300 gn field points modified to accomodate techno-hunt mushroom tips.

32.4% at 608 grains has opened my eyes and hopefully will close some turkey's eyes.

>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
All I can say is "read ALL of Dr Ashby's reports".  And, listen to what every one else advises,and make your decisions based on your own shooting tests.  For me, with almost 40 years of experience bow hunting, there was a LOT to learn from Ashby.  Choose what you want to take away from all of it.  

I agree with many that it doesn't take much to kill a deer at close range with a good shot.  For me, it's all the gray area that's caused the questions.  When it comes to bow hunting, there are lot of gray areas.(talking about unexpected events, not ethics!)
Tom

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
For me I will most likely never take a shot past 30 yards on an animal. This pretty much eliminates any concerns I might have about trajectory of my arrows. With that said, I always assume that my shot will not hit exactly where I want it to go. Therefore it makes sense to have a higher FOC to get deeper penetration on less than perfect shots.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
i use heavy points to weaken the spine to what i need. with my little arms and shooting bows around 45# at my dl i cant really use alot of the arrows with higher GPI unless i move up to a arrow thats stiffer and use a heavy end wieght to weaken it.

my set up right now thats flying awsome from my beeler long bow are cx heritage 90's full length with the standard insert, 250gr field point and 5" left helical feathers.  pretty good FOC and wieght for hunting
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
For me I will most likely never take a shot past 30 yards on an animal. This pretty much eliminates any concerns I might have about trajectory of my arrows. With that said, I always assume that my shot will not hit exactly where I want it to go. Therefore it makes sense to have a higher FOC to get deeper penetration on less than perfect shots.
same here. i dont plan on shooting past 20yds at deer with trad gear for a while. i want to shoot a heavy arrow just incase things dont go perfect and bone gets involved.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I love efoc. I use 400 grains up front total arrow weight is 750. Flys great and hits very hard. The last 3d shoot that I went to, the other shooters would joke about how hard it was to pull my arrow out of the target because it would penetrate so much more than the other arrows.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Pikeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I thought I'd play with the Ashby EFOC or ultra FOC arrows. Bought some suggested Griz Safaris. What I didnt realize was that my draw length of 31.25 is too long to put 300gr Ashby heads in front and get good arrow flight. Everything fly nock left. So my question is......are there shafts long enough and stiff enough to shoot these heads with? 70# Qarbon Nano
PBS Regular Life
P&Y Life

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
"Also, where could I find a chart that shows how to choose arrows with these heavier points? Thanks,"

Just to steer back to the other part of the original question,I don't think there is a chart and Stu's calculator doesn't help much when you are talking about a lot of front end weight.

The bow tuning info link that Rastaman gave you will give you some idea.Depending on how much weight you want to add,you may have to start with a carbon shaft one or two spine groups stiffer to compensate for the weakening affect of more front end weight.

A rough rule of thumb would be 1" of shaft length= app 5lb of spine and app 17-25 grs of point weight would also equal 5 lb of spine.This would get you in the ball park for what shaft you want when you change point weight-either direction.

From there,it is to the range and the usual bare shaft tuning till you get the right combination of shaft length and whatever point weight you like.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
I chose approx. 200gr. broadheads because that weight can be achieved with some combination of glue on broadheads and adapters. With a addition of various inserts and/or screw in weights, I can bring my total up front weight to around 300 gr. Considering the weight of most carbon arrows I shoot, I need something around that weight to get the total arrow weight I want. Might not be sound reasoning, but works for me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©