3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fallow deer Scouting and Big Billy  (Read 399 times)

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
Fallow deer Scouting and Big Billy
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
Went for a fallow scout last weekend. Plenty of feed and not as many deer as usual, the bigger bucks haven't yet come to the does. A few young bucks, but that was it.

After walking most of the day, didn't see much fresh buck sign in the way of scrapes or rubs. Had a pretty good feed of Blackberries though! Came across the goats. If you ever wondered how do those big billies sleep? Here's the answer.

Another big fella in my sights. The adrenaline kicked in. They were about 400m away, time to get closer. As I moved in, they got up from their afternoon rest and moved off

As they fed off, they moved out of the timber into the pasture. The amount of feed in the paddocks was phenomenal - plenty of cover for a stalk.

I estimated the big fella was easily 40 inches, maybe 44. and with plenty of length going back off his skull before his first twist out, I conservatively estimated him at 130 DS. (Well into record class)

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fallow deer Scouting and Big Billy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »
As they fed over the knoll, I moved closer. There was another small mob of nannies and kids down to my left, and one of them saw me moving across the saddle. She turned downhill and away from where I was heading. The long grass made it hard to spot the goats, another lone nanny and kid were bypassed as I crawled through the long grass. I came across the big fellas mob feeding downhill.

They were about 50m away, and feeding on the move. As they left the last of the cover and headed out into the open pasture, I set up shop where they had just been, amongst a rocky outcrop with logs and a few coprosma bushes providing extra cover.

Some more pics and video to pass the time. I knew that they would feed back uphill at last light to bed down amongst the rocks and timber, so it was now a waiting game.
After a while, I backtracked and moved around the hill and set up in another stand of timber and coprosma and rocks. It was in the same gully that the mob used to head up to their bedding area last time I was there. I was pretty well concealed, but there was one nanny who was suspicious. She kept looking in my direction, but not always directly at me, so I figured that she couldn’t see me. The rest of the mob wasn’t paying too much attention to her intermittent sneezes and snorts.
After about a hundred pics of the big fella, I started looking around at the other billies, and noticed that there weren’t any other good heads. One billy was around 32-33” and the rest were about 20-24”. They were all black and white saddle backs or black faced billies, and most of the young goats were that colour too.

They were bigger in the body than the white billy, and had a clearly visible hump of muscle on their shoulders. Probably Boer cross, with the solid build and roman nose on them.

Then I started thinking that in this mob there was about 80% of the goats on the property. Not a huge population by any means, but I took out one big fella last year, and this is the only other big one.  There might be one more billy over 100 DS with the rest lucky to make 70 DS. So by taking out this big billy, I will be taking out the best chance of keeping good genes in the herd.
The more I thought about it, the more I started thinking that I’ll let the big fella go and hopefully breed a few more nannies and take out a few of the bigger bodied saddleback billies over the next few months.
The thoughts were going to and fro in my head, but at the end of the day, I just felt that If I shot him I would be *****tting in my own nest. I’d like to bring my boys here when they are old enough and let them see a big billy, and not just tell them about the ones I shot.

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »

After getting the photo count up near 300, I decided to get back to camp. I slowly backtracked out and left the mob to do their thing.
The one I shot last year was about 7 yrs old and still hadn’t worn his teeth down. So I reckon this big fella could last a few more years yet before I give him a hard time.  In the mean time I’ll be targeting a few of the black and white boofheads for a bit of ‘game management’.

Hope you like the pics as much as I liked taking them.
Cheers,
Memo

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »
Good decision mate! Looks a pretty healthy mob of goats there, it can be hard to get in close with that many eyes and noses on the look out. Nice pics  :)

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:43:00 AM »
Great pics memo, thanks for taking the time to post them.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »
THX for sharing!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
Great pictures sir!  Thanks for posting them up for us!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
That billy is a pearler, must've been tough to pass him up!  Looks like you've got plenty of other targets though.  Go gettum!

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Those are some beautiful photos.Good luck with the heard management.
Jeff Couture

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
awesome photos,
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks Steve
Cool to see pics and read about hunts from around the world.
Bill

Offline Claym

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Great pics & good on you for passing up that one for the sake of future generations    :clapper:
-Clay

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
That's really neat.....   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Nice pics,thanks for sharing
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing....really cool pics....

Please note...they may get pulled for being too large.  Max pic size is 640 pixels wide.  Resize them if you can....I'd hate to see them go poof!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
awesome pics.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Excellent hunt and even better pics!

I think you did the right thing, and ensured many more years of hunting some possible record bound goats.

:clapper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks sir. Good on ya.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Dream Land pics.

Thank you much for sharing.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »
Very cool.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©