3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who eats the innards of their game?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who eats the innards of their game?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Heart, liver - yes.  I've eaten beef tongue and liked it but never deer or elk.  Brains and lungs - no thanks unless you are a real good cook.  I'm a pretty good game cook but it would take someone else to cook brains or lungs for me to try them.  Probably the same thing with kidneys, etc.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I leave that for the coyotes and bears. I'll take the prime meat and let them have the waste filters (kidneys, liver, bowels, etc)
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Heart and Liver definately, can't beat liver and onions if it is cooked correctly.

We have a tradition if a Bull Elk is killed fresh Rocky Mountain Oysters for lunch....yum..!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Izzy next time you see me I'll give u a recipe for pickled deer tongue, if you like pickled lambs tongue you'll flip over this takes about a month sliced thin in a sandwich is great with a beer!

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I take the prime cuts and leave the rest.   I'm not about to eat the lights in anything and if it stinks when I'm cleaning it I won't eat it.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
This reminds me of a book I read a few years back.  "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. He chronicles the Lewis & Clark expedition.

Anyway,...somewhere in the northwest, one of the party kills an elk. As he's cleaning it, the native Indians are so hungry (it's winter) they eat the intestines raw...pushing poop out one end and biting chunks off the other end.

I guess I might've starved to death back then  :)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Dang Izzy,I think our grandmothers went to the same cooking school!I think it was called,several mouths to feed,and making due with what is available.Does that sound like the cooking school your grandmother went to?
Bill

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
This reminds me of a book I read a few years back.  "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. He chronicles the Lewis & Clark expedition.

Anyway,...somewhere in the northwest, one of the party kills an elk. As he's cleaning it, the native Indians are so hungry (it's winter) they eat the intestines raw...pushing poop out one end and biting chunks off the other end.

I guess I might've starved to death back then    :)  
Native American version of menudo.... which is good by the way..   :goldtooth:

BTW I'm married to a Czech, so blood pudding, blood sasuage and other food stuffs are common at family gatherings..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Hey Izzy! I've got a copy of the "Road Kill Cook Book" around here some place... Guess I can fix up somethin' special for ya when we meet next.    :eek:   Like... Squirrel Nut Stew or Fish A$$ Holes With Maggot Rice... MMMmmmmmmm

... mike ...    :D    ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Oh, I'm sad to say that all I've had is deer heart...you know me, though, Iz. I'll try anything...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Heart all the time. Nothing else for me though. Never liked liver anyway.
Romans 8:28

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
It's actually a Greek dish traditional on Easter. We typically use lamb organs. Growing up I used to shy away from it, now I love it.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
I tried Liver last season and didnt like it.  I would try it if someone else prepared it if they claim its all in the way you cook it.

I would like to give heart a try and would try most of whats been mentioned just to see if its good but I would have a hard time cooking some of it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Mikey, them fish holes of yours are probably still floating around somewhere. I think theyve been won and re-won at several shoots over the years. I think they came from an Italian deli in Da Bronx. Bill, that is the cooking school they went to. My Granny grew up in the jungle of PR where everything was on the menu. Cept snakes and shrooms, she despised both. I love em both. Chris, after eating that porcupine you could probably scarf down the fish holes to kill the taste that Im sure still lingers on your palate. I respect you for that though, you stuck em you plucked em.   :thumbsup:

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Remember Whip we cooked up Rafaels whitetail heart from North Dakota this year with mushrooms and onions. It's all in the marinade. Just marinade yourself well before you eat it and it's always good!

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
At my liesure,  I stick to the meat.  I have not yet tried,  but would consider heart.  It is a muscle.   I never have and will not eat liver or kidneys....the filter of any animal,  filtering out toxins that animal is subjected to.  No thanks,  despite how  tasty.  Though I would think a whitetail  roaming alot of land would be the safest bet.
Now a survival situation.....all bets are off!  I WILL SURVIVE!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
When growing up on a farm we butchered beef twice a year for the family.  My mom got the tounge first thing and prepared it for sandwiches.  It was the best sandwich meat I've ever had.

Of course in the spring we'd have oysters and morels with scrambled eggs.  Dang that was good too.
Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I agree with LookMom. I'll eat heart, but no other organs, unless it's a matter of survival.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Heart, liver, sometimes tounge.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
innards are for the fox.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement