3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow length  (Read 282 times)

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow length
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I currently shoot a 62" recurve bow (23" ILF riser with short limbs) with 26" draw 35#@28 in. I shot a Viper longbow the other day and really liked the feel of it (it was 70" also 35#. Looking at Tomahawk bows from 3Rivers, I noticed the recommendation was for a 58" for my draw length which I thought was short. I mainly want to use the bow for 3D (not hunting), any recommendation on length to get me the best forgiveness/grouping. Also, I shoot the recurve comfortably at 35#, should I move up in weight with a longbow. Thanks
Thanks
K

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow length
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I think you might be happier with a longer bow than 58" for 3D.  The shorter bow might give you more speed, but the longer bow will be more forgiving, less finger pinch and may seem smoother drawing.  OTOH, I think 70" is too long for a 26" draw length.  If you are happy with a 62" recurve, I would go with a 64" longbow.

To get the same performance as your 35# recurve, you might want to get a 40# longbow, if you don't think the extra weight will bother you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks McDave. Sound advice as always.
Thanks
K

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I had a 64" Tomahawk SS that was very smooth at my 28.5" draw and would recommend it.  I do feel though that the Tomahawk has a bit more preload.  If you wanted a shorter "longbow" and still wanted the smooth draw I think you'd have to look at one with a more radical R/D than the Tomahawk.  Shrew, Big Jim, Kanati etc... my Dwyer Endeavor only pulls 2.5lbs/inch at the end of my draw and is as smooth drawing as they come.  This is just my opinion of course.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
I shot a 58" Sarrels Blackhills R/D Longbow a few weeks ago and like it so much that I ordered one...
I normally like a longer bow, but ordered this one for a hunting bow...
My draw is 28" an it was no problem with finger pinch.. very smooth bow, very well made..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
My drawlength is just a bit over 26". For me, 62" is the shortest that I'm comfortable and accurate with.  I also shoot 64" and 66".  For 3D shooting, I prefer 62".  For target shooting and indoors, I prefer my 64" or 66".
The work praises the man.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
right now my most accurate bow for me is only 56"  i also have a 66" and it also stacks arrows

for the custom im going to order im going with a 58" bow, seems perfect for hunting and 3d
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
You may want to take a look at Lost Creek bows. They are very quick and dead in the hand.

I have been a recurve shooter for years but, IMO the lost creek life-ender longbow is the best of both worlds.

Glen

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
'hybrid' longbows - those with some, or a lot, of snake in the unbraced limbs - are closer to recurves and will work well in shorter bow lengths with longer draw lengths.  longbows that are 'hill style', with backset, string follow or dead straight limbs will almost always require much longer limbs for a smooth draw.  most bowyers give bow length/draw length recommendations for their offerings.  in the long run, when in doubt, my strong advice is to go longer in length for any longbow.  if you have a 26" draw, and the longbow was to be used for both hunting and competitive 3d/target, 60" would be the shortest and probably better with a 62" bow length.  longer limbs are more stable, more 'forgiving' and typically lots more smoother on the draw.  choose your limb core material wisely, too - i like real, solid bamboo or tonkin cane for maximum smoothness of draw.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Thank you all. Looks like 64 is probably the sweet spot. One more questions, I currently shoot 35# on my 62" recurve. Would I still need to shoot the same poundage on a 64" r/d longbow or can I go up weight due to the different bow design?
Thanks
K

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
35# @ 28 will be the same in either bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©