3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpackin elk hunters  (Read 705 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Backpackin elk hunters
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Was just curious how many TradGangers are backpackin goin in deep type of elk hunters.
Would like to kick around gear ideas, etc. PLanning a full season hunt this year, and always lookin to pick a few ideas from others.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpackin elk hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I would be interested in the same input as two buddies and I may be doing a pack in hunt for elk this year.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Backcountry Bowhunting by Cameron Hanes covers a lot of ground in this area. Any specific questions you have??
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Whew. Big topic.

Everything from gear,meals, and conditioning to the mental aspect of a hard hunt like that could be covered. Like Canyon says: What specifics are you looking for?
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Remember ounces add up to pounds for starters. Have a packer lined up if you can. Hanes's book is good.

Offline huntinoly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Start working out now the first few days are always easy its the last few day and packen out the meat that get ya. Great way to hunt I would not do it any other way. Good luck

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
OK, how about this specific question--small back packer tent or Hennessy Hammock? Why your choice?
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline clayton95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Small tents are better in my opinion.  You have a hard time getting your gear into a Hennessey Hammock. Getting dressed in the morning if it is cold is nicer in a tent too.  If you are going with two people then a small sleeping tent and a lightweight tarp to cook and prepare for the day under is a good combo.  It is easier to go lighter with two people than just one.  Only need one stove and such.  Hope this helps.

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Not a Hennessy fan but have used a Clark NA for years.

It depends on temps and your hammock camping gear and experience. Pound for pound my hammock rig comes in within a few ounces of my three season two man tent when i add in my insulated pad and the groundsheet with the tent. Having said that, there are times when a tent is the way to go.I also use a tarp/bivy combo.

If you don't have an under-quilt and better than factory supplied tarp, forget it. It is a recipe for cold nights.

If you are doing a bivy (coyote) style hunt where light and fast with multiple camps in multiple areas over days, a hammock is great, because all you need is a couple of trees. Flat ground isn't a concern. Set up/teardown is less than two minutes.

Hunting out of a fixed camp, more inclement weather, etc. a tent may be nicer for some. Some people just sleep better on the ground. Proper tool, proper job.

Play with a hammock in different temps and settings. Dry runs with ALL OF YOUR GEAR is critical before any backpacking hunt.Boots, sleeping gear, cooking gear etc. should all be known and trusted quantities before heading out.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
IMO, your first consideration and the most important is having quality, perfect fitting footwear.  Your boots will be on your feet pretty much every minute you're not in your sleeping bag and poor fitting footwear ruins a great hunt faster than anything.  Lots of choices out there, get looking now and make sure they're the ones, then get them broken in.  

Also, I very much second Daz' advice about getting your gear together and doing some dry runs well before going on your hunt.  Better to find out something doesn't work like you hoped sooner rather than later.  

Lastly, plan on getting to your hunting area 2 or 3 (4 is better) days before the season opens to acclimate to the altitude.  You will suck wind the first few days no matter how good of shape you're in and it's better to do it hiking in and scouting than while trying to hunt.  

Keep asking questions, lots of good advice amongst the 'Gangers!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
First timer to hunt Colorado here and I am SOOOOOO glad someone posted this.  Thinking of going in with 2 two man tents instead of a large one.  Our party of 4 will be hunting in groups of two and it frees up the party to move as they want.  One question, I was under the impression that I should purchase a 4 season tent (we will be going in mid-September.  Is this correct or will a 3 season (lighter) work?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I think its worth getting a shelter that you can use with a small woodstove.You can offset the little extra weight of the stove
-you can dry your gear (clothes)so you can pack less in
-you can cook on it with an unlimited fuel supply
 Look at Kifaru,T I Goat,SeekOutside ,etc

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
A good 3-season tent will work.  Two guys in a two man tent is awful cozy.  You need something that can stand up to a foot or more of snow, which is not uncommon. I've gone whole seasons with no or little snow but have also had 12-20" of snow overnight on multiple occasions.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Think I will go with a 4 season if I can expect 1' of snow.  I agree with the 2-man tent size.  The tent would have to have a fairly large vestibule (maybe 2) for packs etc.  I was planning on packing a small Mr. Buddy heater in for heat and drying clothes.

The other option we are looking at is to get a canvas wall tent and a wood stove and set up at a lower elevation and walk up every day.  But I would rather wake up nearer to where we are hunting.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Gear list

Mystery Ranch Crew Cab backpack
Hilleberg Atko tent
Western Moutaineering +15F sleeping bag
Western Mountaineering down pillow
Exped Sleeping Pad
Soto Stove, titanium cook pot, jet boil fuel
1 set sitka rain gear
1 down jacket
1 set extra wool socks
100' parachord
game bags, I use deer size bags for elk, these help save weight
surgical glue
vaseline packed cotton balls for fire starters
weather proof matches
iodine tablets
2 extra water bladders to keep full at camp if hunting from a base camp
hunting knife
small bone saw
compass
maps
marking tape
small first aid kit
Headlamp, light weight, not as bright
Surefire flashlight for blood trailing
moleskin for blisters, and aspirin
Tea and single coffee bags
Extra bow string, stringer, etc...

The above items are my main pack items for a September elk hunt in Colorado.  Other variables that I rely on are my food options, I usually rely on freeze dried goods, but they can add weight quick if going for more than five days.  I carry protein powders, creatine and energy gels for quick snacks, nutrition, and muscle recovery. MRE's are OK but weigh more than freezed dried.  

Bivy sacks can help cut down on weight, but are not for everyone, it's nice to have the room of a tent IMHO, even if it's a small one.  I also ditch my sleeping pad when using a bivy.  An inflatable sleeping pad is nice but takes time to set up and break down.  If I am moving camp each morning I will pack the bivy sack and sleeping bag together in a dry sack.  

My typical pack weight is around thirty pounds to thirty five pounds, not counting water.  Water can be a pain, especially if you are hunting a new area and do not know where water is.  Water adds alot of weight to a pack quick.

Walking sticks can also be a nice addition, if you are not used to hiking alot.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
I suspect the Mr. Buddy heater will put more moisture in the air as propane creates moisture when it burns. I have a friend who tried using a propane heater in his wall tent two years ago in a late, read wet, Oregon Blacktail hunt. Couldn't get anything dry and near froze to death.
Nothing like a wall tent and wood stove. You could use it as a base and bivy a couple nights with the lighter gear if you got into critters.
A lot of the lighter tents are using a lot of mesh in the tent body with a fly. This doesn't work if you encounter cold/windy conditions as the wind will come under the fly and into the tent. Doesn't work well if you have a lot of dust as it will coat every thing in the tent. I'll take a 4 seasons tent better thermal cover and I can keep things clean. Everythings a compromise.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Sounds like great advice 58winters.  Never thought of any humidity issues.  Thanks
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
BTW, I am not trying to hyjack this thread.  Sorry, but I just had a few questions.  Thanks
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
BTW, I am not trying to hyjack this thread.  Sorry, but I just had a few questions.  Thanks
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Here's the tent I used for my first 4 trips.  REI Sololite.  It's 5 pounds and held up well but I wanted something lighter.

Now I use a tarp.  The whole setup is 18 oz.

There was a good thread on clothes not long ago.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=101606#000000
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©