3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpackin elk hunters  (Read 706 times)

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpackin elk hunters
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
The first thing is to access your physical condition. I dont know how you train or what fitness program you use, but, find a good backpack and start rucking with 20 to 40 pounds of flour, work up to 5 miles without stopping, by the time you leave for your hunt..
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Good thread.  I'm trying to put something together like this for next year.

Been doing a lot of research on gear.  Picked up a Kelty Cach Hauler for training mostly but I think it'll work for short trips.  I agonized on footwear as I wanted to get that now for good break-in this fall.  Endless.com has a good return policy.  I ordered 4 pairs of different boots at one time to try out (wife nearly flipped).  I went with Kenetrek Hardscrabbles.  

I plan to do some overnighters this summer to work out the kinks  in gear and work on land nav.  I also picked up Hane's book.  Just started reading it but looks like it has lots of good info.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I am going out again this year and I will be changing most of my gear to get lighter stuff. I will be using
Kifaru Ku 3700 badkpack 2-lbs 9oz
Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 tent 2-lbs 10oz  
Montbell UL Super Spiral Hugger down 15deg sleeping bag 2-lb 1oz
Big Agnes insulated air core mattres wide 2-lbs 4oz
Thermorest pillow med 9oz
Soto microregulator stove 3oz love this stove
Salomon wing sky GTX boots 2-lbs
Russell Outdoor APX-2 Gale 4 jacket and zeffer pants
Marmot Zues light weight 800 down jacket 15oz

Try to get the lightest gear you can afford it will make a big differance last year my pack weight was 55lbs and I had to make a midhunt trip back to truck to get food I did not want to carry in. This year my pack will be 40lbs Max for a 10 day hunt.   Widow  ps pm me if you have any questions,

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Darren, I see you got a montbell for this year. I carried in 62lbs last year. Do not want to do that again. I wish I could get by with 40lbs so I am still working on a new gear list.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Widow, what do you think of the KU 3700? It looks sweet but that is out of my price range...I will agree with everyone else and say to start training now. My dad got altitude sickness a couple years ago and that was seriously scary. Take your time getting up to hunting elevation
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Awesome- exactly what I was looking to start with this post. Open discussion and ideas. AS for the Hennessy Hammock, I tried that once- never again. They are a pain to get into a sleeping bag in, and I dont sleep well in them. Cold air circulates under you, so they sleep cold.

Right now my pack weight with water minus food is just under 50#. Thats with a few extras that might not make each trip out from base camp- depends of weather etc.

My pack itself is a little heavier, butwell, thats what I have. Its a Kifaru AG2, with the loadhauler frame. I love it, its comfy and everything fits insside out of the elements.

Our plan is hunt 2-4 day bivy trips out from our base camp. Shelter will be a 12x12 pyramid tent for base camp, a kifaru paratipi for bivy's. We have the stove for the paratipi if needed as the weather gets cold. Some gear will be divided between us to lighten it up.

My biggest challenge right now is food. I very particular about what I fuel my body with, finding lightweight HEALTHY food is tough. Most options are packed with chemicals and stuf I prefer not to eat. I do not typically eat any processed foods, and my concern is if I start eating a lot of them my digestive system may revlt on me,not good in the backcountry. So Im researching food ideas, experimenting in the kitchen to make sure it meets weigh to calories requirements, ease of preparation etc.
I may have to compromise somewhat, but the less junk the better.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Great thread.  Definitly get a copy of Cameron Hanes book.  It has a lot of great info.  I think it is out of print.  I have seen it on ****, but for ridiculous prices.  Maybe you can borrow a copy?

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 01:45:00 AM »
John, for food prep try this site:  http://www.trailcooking.com/

Gives lots of information on DIY healthy and ultralight meal prep and planning. From both a cost/meal and knowing what you are eating, dehydrating and prepping at home can't be beat.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Sounds like you're well on your way planning wise.  Since your concern at the moment is food, at least it's easy figure out at home. It's a genuine concern, I learned the hard way.  The Mountain House meals have been pretty good for me, though expensive.  What's your plan for water?

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Not deep as some would call it, but I have been 3 times and usually pack in 2.5-3 miles by GPS, and have usually been in the elk.  I have gotten close several times, but haven't brought any meat home yet.  That is when the work really starts and hopefully I'll get to experience that pain this year!

Definately get into the best shape you can, as that will determine how long and hard you can hunt.  

As others have said, weight adds up very quickly.  I always seem to pack too much clothes and food because I think I'll need it, then usually don't.  

I have a bivy tent that only weighs 2.5 lbs, but it is very small.  I actually prefer carry the extra weight of a 3 man tent, because of the ability to sit up inside, dress inside, store everything inside, etc.

You can get good equipment for reasonable prices, but there is a compromise between cost and weight.  Most of my equipment is good quality, but there are a lot of products out there that are considerably lighter.  Now that I know I will be going back regurlarly, I plan to upgrade my gear to the lighter weight stuff over the next couple of years, but it will be costly.

Good luck, but be warned, it is addicting!

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
I second Tim in WA. A tent with a small wood burning stove is the way to go. Being able to dry out and warm up out of the elements is key.
Especially when you have less than ideal conditions.

Quality boots and physical condition are definitely the most important imo.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Climb some hills with the boots you're planning on using with your backpack on. Gradually add weight to the pack until you have the weight you'll be packing. Don't want to "throw a shoe" on the first day of hunting! Get in hunting shape or you won't enjoy the hunt and all the other preparation will be wasted.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
if you guys are like me from flat land just remember to hunt high and sleep low even a 100 ft drop in el. will let you breath easier, el effects everyone differently, start off low the first couple of days.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
You'll get all kinds of advice about equipment so I won't go there. But, start now and get in the best possible physical condition that you can especially cardio. If you don't it will ruin your hunt. The best you can be at Michigan altitude compared to 6-10 thousand feet are a whole lot different.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
For water I am using the katadyne hicker pro with tablets or drops as backup
Food I want to keep my food weight to 1 lb plus a few OZ per Day and last year I carried pouch tuna and klif bars and MH for supper and it was alot of weight for the amount of food about 2 lbs per day. I think the mountian house will be alot more food for alot less weight and I like it.
oatmeal for breakfast if I feel like it
Mountian House 2 ser size for lunch
Mountian House 2 ser size for supper
beef jerky for snacks
Snickers for treat
powder drink mix for taste and caffene
ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT I would not leave home without it this stuff WORKS.    Widow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
What type of terrain am I looking for a Colorado mid-September trip.  Looking at the Grand Mesa National Forest right now.  STEEP areas or more gradual stuff like plateaus.  Do I get high and glass with the wind currents rising and go after them after they reach timber?

Currently looking at 10,000+ elevations.  I know a lot depends on if there is snow yet, but is that a good place to start?

BTW, if any of ya'll want to point me in a general direction, it would be appreciated.  PM me your telephone number if we can talk.

Thanks
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
If you have never been at elevation, I'd think lower than 8000 for at least the first couple days.  Trust me on this one.

My food is 1.5# to 1.75# per day.  That's a Lipton rice or pasta meal, 8 oz tuna in oil, .5 cups of trail mix made with pistachios and Craisens with some M&Ms, 2 oatmeal pouches, 2 granola bars, plus 2 coffee bags.  I burn the remains and then clean up the pit to recover chunks of plastic and foil that don't burn.  I just cook in the bags and carry only a metal cup to boil water.

Dry your wet wipes and then rehydrate them during the trip.

I don't carry a filter anymore and rely on tabs with neutralizer.  You don't have to treat water you boil for your food.

The White River National Forest Unit 25 is OTC still I believe.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
awbowman, coming from low altitude, if you can, spend a night in denver, or somewhere in the 5-6,000 ft elevation range before you go up to 10,000. It will help you acclimate. a couple nights would be awesome, but all know how time constraints are. At 10,000, take it real easy the first couple days, and drink a ton of water.
Wilderness Athlete makes a supplement for helping adjust to the altitude to combat altitude sickness. Ive used it and it definietely helps.

If you go straight to 10k and start hitting it hard, you'll be puking and laid up in your tent.

For me, food is a huge deal. It has to have 100 calories per ounce minimum, or it doesnt go in my pack. Now I eat a very clean normal diet, almost Paleo, I dont eat anything with white flour, processed sugar,almost no bread, no dairy. I basically eat meats,fruits, veggies and nuts. I steer clear of anything that is highly processed. All of the commerically available freeze dried stuff has tons of chemicals and soy in it. Soy is poison. I will not eat anything with soy in it. Now, that said,I know for an extended trip where every ounce counts, I'll likely have to compromise on some stuff.

Im currently experimenting with homemade protein/energy bars, pemmican, and such. Breakfasts are easy- homemade granola,powdered milk(or dry) and s scoop of raisins and a scoop of protein powder. Lunch- larabars, pemmican, homemade bars, jerky, nuts or dried fruit.

Dinners will probably be where I compromise with MH meals, or backpacker pantry. Still working on some alternatives for some meals. I dont want to spend a lot of time (fuel) cooking after a long day hunting. The longer stuff has to cook, the more fuel we have to carry. Im open to ideas on dinners.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Heres my gear list. Theres a lot there, but not all of it will be in my pack all the time. Some will be split up between the 2 of us. But its pretty close. Some of the extra clothes will stay at base camp.

There are a few items I'll add that arent on there, and a few that will probaly come off. Or go in my sons pack LOL
Elk Hunt Gear List

Kifaru AG2 backpack with Cargo Chair*
Kifaru Paratipi with Small Stove
Air Core Insulated inflatable Sleeping Pad
Marmot Pinnacle sleeping bag
Bivy cover for bag
Sil-tarp
Tyvek ground cloth
Thunderstick MOAB takedown longbow*
GFA quiver with  7 arrows ( 5 BH 2 Judo )*
ParaOrdinance Tac-S   .45 ACP with spare  mag.*
Kahles 10x42 Binoculars*
KAtadyn Hiker Pro H2O filter(with spare cartridge)
Delorme PN60 GPS with SPOT*
Snow Peak Giga stove with fuel cannister
Snow Peak Titanium cookset
Sawvivor  Lt. Wgt. Folding saw
Compass/Maps
Platypus 100oz H2O bladder
2 headlamps
1 small LED flashlite
Clothes
Sitka Jacket
Sitka Vest*
Sitka Mtn Pants *                                 1pr
Sitka Ascent pants                              1pr
Sitka Core Zip LS Tshirt                      2
Sitka beanie*
Sitka ballcap*
Sitka gloves                                         1 pr
First Lite Merino Wool Briefs*  1pr
First Lite Wool LS top base later*      1
First Lite  Long johns base layer      1pr
UA Briefs                                             1 pr.
First Lite Wool LS top*                       1
Cabelas Fleece Hoodie with WS     1
Cabelas packable rain gear        
Cabelas wool socks *                         3 pr

Asolo boots*

*denotes items worn. 1 extra set of Base layers and pants carried in backpack. Total of 2 sets of clothes on bivy trips.

Hunt Gear
Topo Maps
Sm notepad/pencil
Compass
Camera
Sheath knife
Elk Bugle w spare reeds
Cow calls
Elknuts playbook
Windicator powder bottle
Spare bowstring w/ nock and silencers attached
First Aid Kit
1 small roll Coban gauze
Bandaids
Steri-strips
Skin glue
Betadine wipes
Neosporin
Duct tape

Personal Hygiene Kit
Soap
Sm towel
TP
Toothbrush/paste
Prescription meds
Nail clippers
Anti-chafe stick
floss

Survival Kit
Fire starter- cotton balls, char cloth, pine pitch, lighter, matches, flint striker
Space blanket
Wire saw
Braided fishing line
Emergency poncho(plastic)
whistle
Kill Kit
Game bags
 550 cord
Knife sharpener
Havalon knife/spare blades
Orange tracking tape
2 lg zip lock baggies

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I've been that high and understand altitude sickness.  We are planning on two days in the mid-8000 to acclimate us to the altitude.  I will take it easy believe me.  I'm one of those people who  enjoy myself or I go home.

Keep it coming with the lists.  I have gotten a lot of "man I never thought of that" ideas so far.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©