3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpackin elk hunters  (Read 704 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpackin elk hunters
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
One thingI am in need of is a GOOD bright headlamp. The other item i still need to get is a set of trekking poles. Other than that, I think Im set. Unless of course someone comes up wth something Im missing. Still waiting for my new MOAB takedown.( providing my elbow problems clear up)
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Most elk country in CO is going to be steep.  You mentioned the Grand Mesa.   It is billed as the World's largest flat top mountain.  Here is a photo of the NW corner of the Grand Mesa taken from my deck.  Sorry for the picture quality, but it was getting dark when I took it.   Most people who hunt the Mesa do not hunt up on top. Rather they hunt the many canyons coming off of the Mesa or the country under the rim.  Wherever you go, you will need to be in shape.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I spent a couple days in Grand Junction after my last hunt, what a nice area. I drove through the Colorado National Monument area, as well as up around the grand Mesa looks like some good elk country. I'd love to hunt that area, but not a clue where to start.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Autumnarcher, if you want a light, pick one of these:

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_PD_Series.html
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
He is my list,each time I make improvements. I will carry the extra weight for the comfort that my Kifaru tipi has, especially if you get wet.

Kifaru pack/ longhunter guide
alps foam pad under thermarest to protect
thermarest
kifaru 4man tipi
Kifaru small stove
helle knife
ACS CX
jet boil stove
fly rod, flys, etc./tenkara or collapsible spinning
2 lighters/fire starter wet match          /
flashlight/fenix pd30/extra batteries
head lamb/petzl/ extra 3 AAA batteries
batteries/ 6 extra lithium
GPS
map cut map down
kaitadyn water system
gatorade powder for water/ hot chocolate
camera
extra string/ shelf material/   kept at  truck
spectra rope and  bear/bag for food
game bags/ alaskan bags
plastic bags
water bag 4liter
tyvek sheet
portable water bottle with filter
Mountain house foods
Day 1 with power bars
day 2  "        "            "
day 3
day 4
day 5
day 6
day 7
day 8
day 9
rain gear/ small pack
extra socks/ theos
ascent sitka pants x2
sitka transverse shirt x2
sitka 90% jacket
sitka kelvin jacket
sitka core bottoms
sitka beanie
face mask cold gear
sitka gloves
Crocs for camp
small detergent
calls
fuel X2 cannister
western mountaineering badger down bag
throat lozengers
diamox
chapstick
hunter wipes 5x8 and large 10x15
toiletries
tooth brush& paste
decoy/ heads up decoy
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Thanks Jimscol.  The question I have, do I stand a better chance at success to climb/camp high and glass downward and approach the elk from above.  I have read of the currents pushing scent up during the day.  It would seem to me to start from the top?????
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »
Start low in the AM working uphill, the air is cool and dense, therefore flowing downhill.  Then hunt back downhill later in day as the air warms and starts to rise.  Of course once the sun sets and it cools off, the air will start to sink again, but it's usually dark by the time this happens.  Keep in this is just a general rule and weather may change the wind patterns.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Wow, you guys are taking a lot of clothes back in. I just take one part pants and the same for the tops and under layers.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline CheyenneFoote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I would consider a drop camp with an outfitter. I know the the satisfaction of a dyi hunt, but your first post said deep hunt for elk. A de-boned bull elk weights about 400lbs. The lightest I can pack for a week hunt in my backpack is about 70lbs. Five miles in(not deep), thats 5 trips and 25 miles with 100lbs on my back and you have to get it out before it spoils. I say let the horse's do the work. Good luck on your hunt!

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
I think that the secret to hunting an over-the-counter unit in Colorado is to try to find the out of the way spots that are difficult to access.  Any area where you can drive a 4-wheeler or is a short walk from a 4-wheeler is going to have other hunters.  You do not have to go that deep to find these places.  I have hunted areas from 1-3 miles in and have had it to myself.  CheyenneFoote is right about the effort to get an elk out.  3 miles is about my personal limit (with help from my hunting partner).

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Backpack hunting can be one of the best and certainly most rewarding way to chase elk.  You are getting a lot of good info regarding gear, food, etc.  One of the most important and most overlooked facets of any backcountry elk hunting is taking care of meat and packing it back to the vehicle.  Always carry game bags with you and when you get an animal down make sure that you skin and quarter to get the body heat out and prevent spoilage.  If at all possible, line up a packer with horses or mules to get the game out in a timely basis.  If you do not have pack animals make certain you know how to de-bone an elk to reduce weight.  Never have a "I will worry about it when it happens" attitude as it can be the most physically exhausting task of your life.  Last year 2 of us literally spent a day and a half packing a bull up and over a mountain to the trailhead.  The excitement of a bull on the ground can wear off pretty quickly with an elk quarter strapped to your back and miles separating you from the trailhead.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
ShadeMt, good points for sure. Packing out an elk is grueling work. Preventing spoilage is something you have to have a plan for as well.
Another option for cooling meat is to carry a coupl econtractor sized garbage bags in your pack. Load your first load of meat into your pack, and before heading for the truck, stick the remaining meat in the bags, and place is a cool creek in the shade if possible to cool the meat. If you have a creek nearby the truck, do the same withthe meat you haul down. you not only have to keep the meat at the kill site fresh until you return for it, but the load remaining at the truck needs to keep cool too.

Dark timber is a good place to hang it in the shade, in game bags. The faster you can get it cooled down the better. In warm weather, hind quarters can spoil overnight if a bull is shot in the evening and not recovered until the next day. Elk hide is some darn good insulation, and soon as that critter gets dead, that hide starts workin against you.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
One thing you folks should take a look at is the Kelly Kettle.  It burns grass,twigs,pine needles,ect.  The only time I don't use it is when I'm above timberline.  My daughter filled it with dry pine needles and boiled water in a minute.  The one I use holds a liter and a half.  Its enough for two people.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Mr. Pfannder - Thanks for the heads up on the Kelly Kettle. That is very interesting, as long as I have been around this stuff I had never seen one of those. Got me rethinking!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Hey guys, what size backpack should I be looking at for a seven day wilderness hunt?

A group if six are coming, so we can minimize by not duplicating some stuff.

Please PM me, so I will not miss the suggestions.

Thanks,

PS I am thinking something in the 4500 to 5000 cu. in. range right now
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
I'm doing it but my mules going to be carrying the pack !   :biglaugh:
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------