3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Stalker longbow  (Read 375 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
New Stalker longbow
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
About two months ago Warden 415 and I each won a custom Stalker longbow in the "name the bow" contest South Cox sponsored. My name of "Tracker" won one of the bows and it arrived yesterday, as did Warden's who posted pics last night.

You must understand that I am a recurve shooter. I killed one deer with a longbow, a 58" Shadow Eclipse. I was on the ground, shooting  67#, tapered wood shafts and Hunter's Head braodheads. The deer I killed was nine feet (yep, 3 yards) away when I shot him.  I never hunted with a longbow since simply because I had a custom made Groves arrive in time for a caribou hunt and then I discovered DAS ILF bows. No more new bows for me...at least that's what I thought until I unexpectedly won the Tracker.

First I'll show you the pics. It's a beautiful bow and came just as I wanted it. Dark limbs to disappear in a blind. I believe they are Macasscar Ebony  with a carbon based limb. It's 58" and pulls 55# @ 28"...precisely what I wanted.

Now the best news. I couldn't wait to shoot it. So I put it together and took it downstairs to the basement. I took a 29" Beman MFX 400 with 225 grains up front and shot it without a nocking point several times. It seemed to shoot a bit weak which surprised me. I went back upstairs and got a couple of my Beman 340's that I shoot from my DAS. They shot straighter and I was totally impressed with the speed, stability and "cast" of the bow. I've shot many longbows over the years, including some of the big names including Adcocks and Morrisons.  I have to honestly say that this bow outshoots them all. The handle fits me perfectly and the arrows, well, even though they were over 600 grains just shot great.It is also so quiet I am doubtful that I will need to put string silencers on it. I still need to do fine tuning. I am a bare shaft guy so I need to do that. I need to determine the perfect nocking point and brace height. But even though I have not gone thru that process yet I feel that if I simply got the nocking point thing down I could take the bow out today and hunt turkeys with it with confidence....if it were legal.       :archer:
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Stalker longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Congratulations Bill! I like the bows that South builds, performance and looks are both top notch. I have a takedown in the works right now, unfortunately, South bypassed the great names I suggested so I will be sending him some money soon!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
congrats on your new bow.Sure is a beauty.
see

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Very nice!  I haven't shot one but I love the look of the grip.

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Very nice. Obviously a force of undetermined divinity is trying to tell you something.......... You need more bows.....
More bows good...
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Bill, good for you!! I know you love the DAS but it will be nice to see ya post a pic. with this bow and a dead turkey. Those are beautiful bows and have me thinkin as well!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
CONGRATS,ON YOUR WIN OF SUCH A FINE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT,ALSO THANK FOR SHARING YOUR WAY OF COMING BY IT,,,GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SUCCESS,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Dang what a looker!!!

Without even putting my hands on it, the grip looks like it would just melt into your hand.

What a nice bow and an even nicer gesture by the bowyer!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Sweet Bill................
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Claym

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Very nice! congrats    :thumbsup:
-Clay

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I have been shooting one of his recurves over the last couple weeks.  Like it a bunch.   His longbows looks great also.  Nice bow Bill - go kill a turkey with it!!
Mel Riley

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
It certainly looks like a keeper! Congrats!

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
beautiful    :thumbsup:

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Wow ! Love the wood choices ! South sure builds a pretty bow that's shoots just good as it looks ! I love my stalker stealth.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Nice Bill......I think you'll be pleased!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Well, I hope it's a good omen but the bow arrived yesterday and in the morning this is what greeted us in the front yard.

I took the pic from inside out front hallway. These guys have been waking me up way too early for the past 3 days...even with the snow on the ground. We can't bait turkeys in NH but I had the warden check out where I want to set up my DB blind and I'm good to go.

I got to play with the bow a bit today and got the nocking point perfect. It also appears that the best shooting arrow is a Beman 400 with 200 grains up front.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Bill,

This coming from you... the die hard DAS guy... I find this a very big thumbs up for Stalker.    :thumbsup:  

Kawika
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Beautiful bow Bill. Today's top end bows are a pleasure for sure. Have fun.

TJ
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©